Options

Four Nations Basketball and a question

mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited August 18, 2005 in Sports
Am not going to bore you with lots of pictures all from the same angle as i was working and could only shoot from one spot. But i have a question which i need some help with. Before the game started i assumed as it was being telecast that the lighting would definitely be bright enough for me to play around with different settings, but instead i had to put the ISO to 400, i had the apeture as wide as possible and the shutter speed down to about 1/60th with the exposure to about plus 2 just to get enough light on the sensor. here is an example
The camera is an Olympus C8080 can anyone explain what fundamental photography lesson am i missing here?
Cheers in advance for any help
May I take your picture?

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 18, 2005
    mushy wrote:
    Am not going to bore you with lots of pictures all from the same angle as i was working and could only shoot from one spot. But i have a question which i need some help with. Before the game started i assumed as it was being telecast that the lighting would definitely be bright enough for me to play around with different settings, but instead i had to put the ISO to 400, i had the apeture as wide as possible and the shutter speed down to about 1/60th with the exposure to about plus 2 just to get enough light on the sensor. here is an example
    The camera is an Olympus C8080 can anyone explain what fundamental photography lesson am i missing here?
    Cheers in advance for any help
    Mushy,
    Indoor lighting is never THAT good. If you are lucky, and the lighting is Pro?major College level, you might be able to shoot wide open using ISO400 and get maybe 1/200 speeds. Most of the time you'll be forced to use ISO800 or ISO1600 to get motion stopping speeds ne_nau.gif Yeah, I know that's a tough task for the 8080 rolleyes1.gif

BTW, using exposure compensation will only slow the speed down more.

This is a tough job for any camera. Usually too tough for a non-dslr. You have to make too many compromises when using a pro-sumer. Even if you crank the ISO to 800, the speeds may still be in the 1/125-1/250 range. Too slow to capture action unless you make sure you are catching people at the top of their jump.

You need to understand that you are shooting in EV7/EV8 type lighting (Check out the "Exposure Factor Relationship Chart" in this link) Which means using ISO800 and F2.8, proper speeds will be in the 1/60 - 1/125 range. As an example, I use ISO1600 and F2.0 to get 1/400-1/500 speeds at basketball games. I understand that you can't get there with the 8080. That's one of the main reasons I moved to the 20D from the 717/828 :cry

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Thankyou so much for the response to my question Steve, hopefully some time early next year i'll make the change to a true DSLR.

Thanks Again
    Mush
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Mushy, there's a reason the pros put strobes in the ceiling. Indoor arena lighting is brutal.

These were shot at 1600 ISO, f4.

12599818-M.jpg

12599580-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au