Options

Harassment or Misunderstanding

USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
edited August 24, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
16803343-M.jpg
Was shooting Union Terminal last nightCincinnati Ohio and was approached by a Sheriff.
He ask me you are just shooting those for yourself right?
I said well yes and no I do sell some photos and these are no different.
He said that I could not sell photos of the terminal the building is “copyrighted”

I told him that I never heard of that before and gave him my card
And told him if they have a problem with me selling those photos to give me a call.

He also said that it was a historic landmark
I told him so I can’t take photos of the Washington Monument and sell them either?
He said no that’s different.

Does anyone know what the heck this guy is talking about?

He never stopped me from taking photos but he sure pestered me to death.

I don’t know maybe all of Cincinnati is copyrighted?

Thanks
Fred

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 17, 2005
    Hey Fred:

If you do a search you'll find a thread that deals specifically with buildings. I remember commenting myself. That sherriff is ill-informed.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2005
    Agelo
    Angelo wrote:
    Hey Fred:

If you do a search you'll find a thread that deals specifically with buildings. I remember commenting myself. That sherriff is ill-informed.
    I think I found it here I am still reading it :D

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    I think I found it here I am still reading it :D

Thanks
    Fred
    Here's some more good ones
    Question Photographers Rights

And this one started out good but soon took a turn for the worse politics :cry
    X&%#$ Police State

But I am still confused eek7.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    It sounds like the Sheriff was doing what he has been told to do. If he wanted to harass you he could have pushed it much farther. (Right or wrong)

Why not just tell him your an ameteur, and be on your way. If he continues to tell you it's copyrighted, just say yes I hear you and understand what you have said. You don't have to agree or say you won't sell them, and arguing with the Sheriff won't solve anything.

Disclaimer: Depending on the day, and my mood I may or may not follow my own advice. :D

Maybe you can look up the copyright law online and research how the copyright laws apply to buildings. If you like what you find you can always carry a copy in your camera bag.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    It sounds like the Sheriff was doing what he has been told to do. If he wanted to harass you he could have pushed it much farther. (Right or wrong)
    Yes he could have probably gone farther and I am glad he didn't
    But he didn't stope me and I still haven't herd from them.
    Sam wrote:
    Why not just tell him your an ameteur, and be on your way. If he continues to tell you it's copyrighted, just say yes I hear you and understand what you have said. You don't have to agree or say you won't sell them, and arguing with the Sheriff won't solve anything.
    Well I thought about telling him the photos are for my personal photo album but..
    This will probably sound corny
    I hate to lie it's to hard to keep track of what I told him :D
    Sam wrote:
    Disclaimer: Depending on the day, and my mood I may or may not follow my own advice. :D
    nod.giflol3.gif
    Sam wrote:
    Maybe you can look up the copyright law online and research how the copyright laws apply to buildings. If you like what you find you can always carry a copy in your camera bag.
    I did find this
    And I will keep a copy in my bag

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2005
    Andy
    andy wrote:
    Here's another good link
    I am just having a hard time understanding how you can copyright a city skyline :cry
    Especially since I shoot almost entirely cityscapes ..well at least I can still shoot my bridges at least for now :D

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    The Answer!!!
    I coppied this from the US copyright law. If this doesn't answer the question nothing will.

Sam

§ 120 ·Scope of exclusive rights in architectural works 66

(a)Pictorial Representations Permitted....The copyright in an architec-

tural work that has been constructed does not include the right to prevent the

making,distributing,or public display of pictures,paintings,photographs,or

other pictorial representations of the work,if the building in which the work is

embodied is located in or ordinarily visible from a public place.

(b)Alterations to and Destruction of Buildings....Notwithstanding the

provisions of section 106(2),the owners of a building embodying an architectural

work may,without the consent of the author or copyright owner of the architec-

tural work,make or authorize the making of alterations to such building,and

destroy or authorize the destruction of such building.

• Options
    edited August 18, 2005
    Sam
    Thank you for posting this for me
    It does answer my question ...the gent from the terminal has not called me back
    And I don't expect him to do so...it's back to buisness as usual
    I'll worry about it if something happens

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I coppied this from the US copyright law. If this doesn't answer the question nothing will.
    Hey Sam, do you have a linky for that? Maybe another thing to print and keep in the bag, just in case.
    Chris
  • Options
    GallenGallen Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2005
    I agree with you about being able to take pictures, but in this day an time do not push your luck with all of the Homeland security concerns about trains, stations, bridges and etc.; you might end up taking a ride downtown and have to get a lawyer to beat the charge. Easier to say taking pictures for your own use.

USAIR wrote:
    Thank you for posting this for me
    It does answer my question ...the gent from the terminal has not called me back
    And I don't expect him to do so...it's back to buisness as usual
    I'll worry about it if something happens

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    Gallen
    Gallen wrote:
    I agree with you about being able to take pictures, but in this day an time do not push your luck with all of the Homeland security concerns about trains, stations, bridges and etc.; you might end up taking a ride downtown and have to get a lawyer to beat the charge. Easier to say taking pictures for your own use.
    I know just what you mean
    I work for an international airport and I take care of the highvoltage for the airfield
    I am no stranger to security so I am very carefull of what I photograph (it's a shame though)
    I have been stopped at the federal building for that very reason and I stopped takeing photos.
    I understand this.

But it was "You can't take photos to sell because the building is copyrighted"
    To me thats just crazy :splat
    If I take photos of the skylight of Cincinnati then I must erase certain buildings from my photos? That's nuts eek7.gif

Anyway like I said I just do what I have been doing and we will see:deadhorse

Thanks for your comments
    Fred
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    Here's some more good ones
    Question Photographers Rights

And this one started out good but soon took a turn for the worse politics :cry
    X&%#$ Police State

But I am still confused eek7.gif

Thanks
    Fred
    Hey Fred - It was fun reading posts in that old thread. Fun to see how ridiculous some arguments are in the light of truth as it has developed over time.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    Hey Sam, do you have a linky for that? Maybe another thing to print and keep in the bag, just in case.
    I don't have a link, but just do a search for US Copyright Law. It's all right there. It is section 120.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    Fred - here's that other thread... sorry it took so long to find it. I've been down with the flu all week and not doing much surfing.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=15189&highlight=tradesmen
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2005
    Thanks everyone for the help
    And here's the link
    Like Sam said look at section 120 at the bottom of the page

Fred
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the help
    And here's the link
    Like Sam said look at section 120 at the bottom of the page

Fred
    The copyright in an architectural work that has been constructed does not include the right to prevent the making, distributing, or public display of pictures, paintings, photographs.

Would this wording include photo "sales" of buildings?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Well I am going to paint a pretty picture on the hood of my car, and if I get a ticket for running a light because of the red-light camera at that intersection I will sue for copyright infringement because they reproduced my painting without my permission!!!

So there!!!!
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Last week will visiting the Alamo in San Antonio, a police officer asked me politely whether I was a professional photographer or not. I guess I looked a bit different than most of the others there. It was night and I had a tripod, bag, etc. and I patiently waited for a crowd of people to move out of the way.

When I said I was just there on holidays, he replied that photos for commercial purposes could only be taken with permission from the Daughters of Texas (or something like that). I didn't bother to press him on it, as I assumed that a historical site could be copyrighted. He let me continue on my way.

It's not easy to just be a photographer anymore ...
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    You should have asked if he was going to arrest you. I'd love to know the charge.
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    You should have asked if he was going to arrest you. I'd love to know the charge.
    From andys list of copyrighted things not to take pictures of and sell......no Mustang horse logo or recognizable cars such as a lamborghini or porsche.....that just strikes me as nuts. What if you own the car? How can they copyright and prevent you from taking pictures of your own property and selling it? ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    The copyright in an architectural work that has been constructed does not include the right to prevent the making, distributing, or public display of pictures, paintings, photographs.

Would this wording include photo "sales" of buildings?
    I thought the very same thing eek7.gif
    The link doesn't say anything about selling photos...so I don't know

It's easier to ask for forgiveness then permission :D

Fred