Options

Basque Portrait

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited January 22, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
The character shows through... 100mm 1/20sec f4.5

barcelona00nov043_s.jpg

The next has lots of blue channel noise (1998 imaging electronics) with the ISO 1600 and still 1/15sec 100mm f4.5 image stabilized

barcelona00nov271_s.jpg
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2004
    That ISO 1600 really shows some noise, huh? Have you tried noise reducing software like Ninja Noise to see if it makes a difference?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    That ISO 1600 really shows some noise, huh? Have you tried noise reducing software like Ninja Noise to see if it makes a difference?
    I ought to write some s/w but I am too lazy. Or I should try some canned s/w for either UNIX or MacOSX.

I need to buy a new camera :( On the otherhand if I put the battery and the microdrive in my pocket and put the camera outside for 20 minutes in the -7F temp, the noise would clean right up. I have actually done that to get decent noise levels on 30 second new year's fireworks shots. (f16). In the 1985 timeframe I was using liquid nitrogen cooled sensors to make infrared images of exhaust plumes. Fun stuff.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2004
    :eek1 No kidding? Cooling down the sensor reduces noise? Well, cut my legs off and call me shorty, I had no idea... and since you refer to -7, you must either be in Alaska or Maine. rolleyes1.gif

EDIT - 11doh.gif never mind, I see Waltham,MA on your work site. Plenty cold - I saw a TV weather reporter :D tonight in Boston open a bottle of water and pour it on a windshield - a good deal of it froze instantly. It's a bit nippy there tonight.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited January 16, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    :eek1 No kidding? Cooling down the sensor reduces noise? Well, cut my legs off and call me shorty, I had no idea... and since you refer to -7, you must either be in Alaska or Maine. rolleyes1.gif
    Astrophotographers use cooling for the longer exposures. But most use
    specialized CCD cameras as well.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Astrophotographers use cooling for the longer exposures. But most use
    specialized CCD cameras as well.

ian
    Well the liquid nitrogen cooled imagers that I worked with were for IR images of exhaust plumes and the exposures were very short. The principle is the same for all cases though. A cooled imager has way less spurious noise and is also better able to be affected by the heightened energy differential of incoming photons
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I ought to write some s/w but I am too lazy. Or I should try some canned s/w for either UNIX or MacOSX.

I could write a filter for that kind of noise in a jiffy, I think; just take a 3x3 of the individual channel (I see noise in all three channels, FWIW) and look for a spiked value in the center; if you get one, average the surrounding pixels.

Crap, now you've got me thinking of writing image processing code again. I swear I just want to be a consumer this time around.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    I could write a filter for that kind of noise in a jiffy, I think; just take a 3x3 of the individual channel (I see noise in all three channels, FWIW) and look for a spiked value in the center; if you get one, average the surrounding pixels.

Crap, now you've got me thinking of writing image processing code again. I swear I just want to be a consumer this time around.
    Will this do?
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Will this do?

Quite :-). What did you use?
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    Quite :-). What did you use?
    'xv' (your nemesis :D) has exactly the kind of filter you are describing. It does a Gausian blur only on the spiked pixels. It has an adjustable size matrix but I used 3x3 as you were suggesting.