Options

Open wiiiiiiiiyde! (Big Sur, CA)

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited November 23, 2010 in Landscapes
Just a nip to Big Sur last weekend. We hopped down Route 1 for an overnight trip to the coast and unexpectedly stumbled upon a beautiful, dog-friendly beach and some fantastic weather.

When I left the house I'd just grabbed my camera with whatever lens was on it, which happened to be the 16-35. Most people (including yours truly) would probably prefer to have a zoom for the very very cool windows in the rock, but when you're lazy you just have to make do with what ya got.

1092117079_KZKLC-XL-6.jpg

I love wide-angle lenses. I had the camera pointed almost straight up for this and still got water and rocks.

Pfeiffer Beach seems to be a pretty popular place for photographers so at sunset, good luck getting a spot on the beach. If any Dgrinners happened to be there that evening, raise your tripods! :lol3

Is November one of the least-foggy times to shoot the coast? Thoughts from the peanut gallery welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins NorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Glad you were lazy lol3.gif

I love the colors/colorrange in this iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Beautiful! Definitely a wall hanger. :)
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    What a great variety of cloud formations. That really adds to the composition. Glad you had your camera1
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2010
    Thanks guys! I was pleasantly surprised that there was no fog but enough cloud cover to make it interesting. It was a beautiful show.

As for contrast, I am not 100% pleased with the processing on this one but I already have a bunch of curves adjustment layers there bumping the contrast. The image itself is getting pretty grainy and I don't feel comfortable pushing it any more. But I also don't want to go overboard. Indecision 2010!
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    i would like to fly kite under this sky, exactly from where you took this photo. Loved it.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Good thing your camera had the 16-35 or you wouldn't have this incredible photo! I like seeing the horizon with everything overhead included. And the rock is a good focal point that takes you back and forth between sea and sky....without it I think the sea would hardly be appreciated. Great Job!
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    Pretty sweet sky you got. I hope you had a fun time out at the beach.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Taking the wrong lens can produce some very creative and unique comps. Well donethumb.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Lovely! thumb.gif
    You didn't stop for McWay falls?mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    EXILEREXILER Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    WOW schmoo.. i was just there last weekend too.. it was an amazing drive on the hwy 1.. you captured the this scenery perfect!! amazing shot!!
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    Schmoo, this is beautiful...what a great capture! The colors of that sky are amazing.

I'm going to edit this to add: Apparently I liked it so much it needed repeating!

(Sorry about that! I don't know why it posted twice!)
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Lovely! thumb.gif
    You didn't stop for McWay falls?mwink.gif

I just saw a post on Dgrin from there last week so I thought we'd skip it! lol3.gif

Nah, in reality we just didn't have that much time to scout and the beach was so nice we decided to sit and stay put.

Hey exiler did I run into you?
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    We had great weather in the Bay Area last weekend, nothing like
    an offshore breeze to keep the fog away.

Fantastic shot!

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2010
    Thanks Alvin! Unfortunately it's not going to be so good this weekend when I have some free time. I was hoping to go back :(
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Taking the wrong lens can produce some very creative and unique comps. Well donethumb.gif

The 16-35 is NEVER the wrong lens! The 17-40 on the other hand...

Nice shot schmoo! I haven't been to the beach without 30 lbs. of camera gear in about 4 years so I can't relate.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »

Nice shot schmoo! I haven't been to the beach without 30 lbs. of camera gear in about 4 years so I can't relate.

Haha! That I believe. And I'm glad I picked the correct lens, whew.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »

What's wrong with the 17-40?
  • Options
    EXILEREXILER Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    I just saw a post on Dgrin from there last week so I thought we'd skip it! lol3.gif

Nah, in reality we just didn't have that much time to scout and the beach was so nice we decided to sit and stay put.

Hey exiler did I run into you?

lol schmoo.. we probably ran into each other and didnt even know it.. rolleyes1.gif