Options

Black Friday deals?

TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
edited November 21, 2010 in Cameras
Has anybody heard of any better price on a Canon 100mm L macro IS than what B+H is offering? They want $884 with free shipping?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited November 20, 2010
    On a fairly big ticket item like this lens you can trust B&H, Adorama, Calumet, Tallyn's.

Trustworthiness is far more important than bottom dollar.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    What is bing?
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    Bing.com is microsofts version of google. Bing has a search called bing shopping which has loads of products from online stores like you also see on google. MS was so far behind google they decided to throw money at people. You could get cashback (not sure who paid what % but it was probably part MS and part retailer) but you could get some awesome cashbacks via bing cashback. You could seriously get 10-20% off stuff like a 7d which could combine with canon instant rebates. I loved it, it saved me a fortune, but they canned it. Not found anything like it. A few places offer 1-2% but nothing major.

You seem a power buyer, Richy, so I think you deserved every percent of those discounts!mwink.gifDclap.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    .....usually go to adorama as they are very competitive on price, they have always treated me well and I respect that they have someone like Helen as a public face whom we can talk to.

Their staff on the phones have always been truly awesome, I would rather pay an extra 10 bucks for a quality service, and Adorama are usually about the lowest on price if not they aren't far out.

Pleased to be able to be here for you; I've passed on your feedback re our CS 'phone team to their manager, who I know will be delighted.
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    HelenOster wrote: »
    Pleased to be able to be here for you; I've passed on your feedback re our CS 'phone team to their manager, who I know will be delighted.

Hi Helen, do you ship to Europe. If so, how do you handle VAT and warranty?.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    Hi Helen, do you ship to Europe. If so, how do you handle VAT and warranty?.

Hi

we certainly DO ship to Europe - to 191 different countries worldwide!

Warranty - depends on the item; <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Canon usually honors the one-year US warranty in most First World countries.
    Nikon specifically says in the box 1 year worldwide and 4 years USA on most lenses.

Pentax and Olympus have a one-year international warranty.

To be on the absolute safe side I'd always recommend a Mack Warranty if you are outside the US; besides which, the Mack gives 3, 5 or 7 years - much beyond the one-year manufacturer warranty.

If you buy direct import ('grey market'), you have a one-year return-to Adorama warranty.

You would need to check applicable taxes when importing from overseas, and should be able to find all current UK requirements here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/index.htm

Don't hesitate to email me directly if you need anything else: Helen O@adorama.com
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    So if I in Holland order from Adorama in US I have a 1 year warranty only, right, unless I go for Mack and then maybe not on Canon gear?

In EU it is becoming normal that the US seller accounts for our local sales taxes. Increasingly they ask for an EU VAT number before shipping to a EU business at the zero rate, otherwise they apply VAT at 19% plus. If not, the buyer has a legal obligation to pay taxes at the border which they may or may not do - the chance of getting caught has been small but is increasing. So far, reasons for me to buy locally.

Maybe we should discuss this privately but I think more clarity may be valuable for your potential customers in EU. The Adorama range and service is an attractive proposition but I don't want to have a few thousand dollars worth of equipment stuck in customs or even confiscated. Nor do I want warranty issues with the manufacturer.

Thanks for your speedy reply - it is Sunday here too! Fully understand when your next reply takes longer - it is tricky but solvable.
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    If theres anything else like that out there I'd love to know about it :)
    I always check ebates.com first to see if the store is participating with them. Unfortunately, I don't think B&H is a store listed there, but you get 2% back with Adorama. Basically, you go to ebates first then click on the link to the store and you get a percentage back in a check. I've got about $175 back in 2 years, which isn't bad, but I don't tend to buy the big tickets items that would make that amount bigger. Some stores have bigger percentages than others. (Full disclosure: clicking on the link above would earn me a referral credit.)

For some of my smaller purchases or for stores not on ebates, I check out mypoints.com instead. I don't think the deals are necessarily as good as cash back, but the premise is that you can earn points that are redeemable for stuff. I think I've been able to get $75 worth of certificates so far through them for dinner, movies, and stores like LLBean. I figure that getting ANYTHING back is better than nothing. And, if you are big on magazine subscriptions, you get a boat load of points for magazine.com subscriptions. (Full disclosure: clicking on the link above would earn me a referral credit.)

I hope that helps you out now that Bing is done.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    So if I in Holland order from Adorama in US I have a 1 year warranty only, right, unless I go for Mack and then maybe not on Canon gear?

When you select your purchase to order from Adorama, it will state on the website what length and type of warranty is included.

We don't charge any taxes at all from this end for non-NYC or NJ shipping, addresses as they are payable to your own government / customs authority.
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com