Options

Abandoned house of sorrow

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited November 21, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
so I recently had to stop at this abandoned house not far from where I live. It was one of the saddest places I've been. Once this must have been someone's dream...the ruined garden out back is particularly sad, each row and plant (practically) is labeled with this metal marker. It's so hard to think about the joy and dreams that died along with this house.

I won't post all the shots, but the gallery link is here for you if you want to see more.

1097958990_Aa6wz-XL.jpg

1097275220_d3emV-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    I just looked at your gallery ... I agree it is sad. When ever I see old homes like this it does make me pause and wonder about the joy that once filled the hallways.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 21, 2010
    I'm with Mary. I always feel a sense of sadness when I see abandoned structures like this. And that dead bird just tops it off. Well done on the captures.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    thanks guys. the bird surprised me and was the capper to the whole experience.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Wicked_Dark, really interesting series. I looked at the gallery! thumb.gif

Did you get to the Springdale Mill on the MAss Rail Trail? Was thee yesterday for a few minutes. The road to the lot I mentioned is blocked bu it is an okay walk from the Thomas Street lot past the fire practice area and under Rt 190. About a 1.4 mile walk each way.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    I did and really liked the area. We parked on Manning St, I think...I can't remember, but it was about a mile to get to the site itself. We also went down Mill St. and shot that unnamed mill there with the really tall wall/dam. Shots are here mixed in with other mills from New England - http://www.flickr.com/photos/thewiresmith/tags/mill/
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    I did and really liked the area. We parked on Manning St, I think...I can't remember, but it was about a mile to get to the site itself. We also went down Mill St. and shot that unnamed mill there with the really tall wall/dam. Shots are here mixed in with other mills from New England - http://www.flickr.com/photos/thewiresmith/tags/mill/
    Lots of nice images there. I like your take on some of the Springdale Mill images! thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    Thanks. It's the kind of site that's so hard to shoot. Reminded me of when I hiked up a mountain to shoot B18 bomber wreckage from WWII. Impressive in reality, difficult to capture photographically.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Browsed the gallery. Quite a story in images... I particularly like the weed in foreground of the cellar door. Makes we want to know more about the history.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    BFauskaBFauska Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    It is sad now, particularly the bird who must have been trying to get out the window at some point, but as you said, it must have been somebody's dream at one point, and that is happy, to somebody sometime that house was the best thing that had ever happened to them.

It's not my favorite shot from the series but I do love the one of the garden tag "Almost Heaven." Particularly because it is part of the series, if I imagine this series in a book, that's the lead shot.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2010
    Thanks you two.
    The Almost Heaven shot gave me goosebumps when I realized what I had. The garden itself is easily twice as big as I was able to get in the shot.