Options

Photog Vest

GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited November 23, 2010 in Accessories
Ok, looking for a useful vest which I can use to carry a lens, flash and maybe a few other odds and ends but nothing crazy. I'm a big dude and most camera bags/backpacks I've seen aren't really made for guys my size. They're uncomfortable and, more importantly, I don't need to carry EVERYTHING, just a few things. And I'm tired of stuffing these things in my cargo pockets.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    NodNod Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    I've thought of using a vest several times but never can find one I like. Somebody suggested a "fishing" vest instead, I'm going to look into those. Might work?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote: »
    Ok, looking for a useful vest which I can use to carry a lens, flash and maybe a few other odds and ends but nothing crazy. I'm a big dude and most camera bags/backpacks I've seen aren't really made for guys my size. They're uncomfortable and, more importantly, I don't need to carry EVERYTHING, just a few things. And I'm tired of stuffing these things in my cargo pockets.

Thanks.

I don't trust a vest...things can fall out of pockets when you bend over...if you take a spill there is no padding to protect your gear.....my solution and I am a big size guy......a military pistol belt with matching suspenders + 1 or 2 ( I use 2 as I always carry 2 bodies with lenses attched) Lowepro 75AW's.....each one has a body+ lens attached...they will handle a D300+big ma (sigma 50-500) there is toom for a flash extra batteries, filters.....and it gives protection...the weight is waist distributed and held in place with the suspenders....I went this route mainly for MC riding but it works great for hiking as well...now I can wear full outing backpack also and camelback packs too.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 21, 2010
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    I love that the search term "photographer's vest" also comes up with pith helmets rolleyes1.gif (sorry, I just find that hilarious - back to :lurk)
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    eBay has vests...
    And Lowepro and ThinkTank (at least them, probably many others) make waist belt pouch systems.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2010
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I don't like wearing belt systems. Just don't like them. Which is why I was thinking of a vest.

Each solution seems to have pros/cons. For me, the vest would be more comfortable. I don't need to carry a LOT of gear. Just an extra lens (or two), flash and maybe a couple of other odds/ends (e.g. cards, batteries, etc.).

Doesn't seem very practical to go try them on since I've not seen them in the stores. So just wondering which one might be worth checking out.

Thanks.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    I picked up a vest a couple of years ago. When it's loaded up, it kills the back of my neck and shoulders. Also, it's got tons of pockets, and because I don't use it very often, I can't remember where I've put stuff so I end up looking like Columbo, frantically checking each pocket trying to find a battery.
  • Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    Lowepro makes a Street&Field series which includes a harness system that you attach lens cases. It's a modular system that provides customization of the setup to the needs of the photographer.
    http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Multimedia-Photographer,54.htm

http://www.lowepro.com/sfseries
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2010
    I received a vest as a gift. I took it back becouse it was too large, found out they paid WAY too much money, didn't have the smaller size in that brand so I traded it for a cheaper one and some other stuff(Vangaurd ball mount, yippie). I love it. I use it when I am shooting events. Everybody knows who the photographer is, the guy with the funny coat. I have pockets for everything. I'm allways prepared, spare cards, batteries, pen, paper, business cards, stuff. I've grown partial to throwing my water bottle in the back pouch pocket. I can carry spare lenses if need be. All the pockets have closures so I don't lose stuff. I have people prepay a
    "registration" fee(only way to do events), I use a zippered chest pocket for cash. It's much lighter than carrying my backpack. Granted, there is not the same level of protection but I don't carry a bunch of lenses when I'm choosing to use it. I fold it and slip it in the computer pocket of my backpack. I carry my computer and cords in a computer bag. Set up my table, etc, throw on the vest and go to work.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2010
    sara505 wrote: »
    I picked up a vest a couple of years ago. When it's loaded up, it kills the back of my neck and shoulders. Also, it's got tons of pockets, and because I don't use it very often, I can't remember where I've put stuff so I end up looking like Columbo, frantically checking each pocket trying to find a battery.

I can understand. However, I'm not looking to carry everything I'll need. Just an extra lens, flash and maybe some batteries and cards. I like to travel light. :)