1104326158_oCjw4-X2.jpg
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    1104326158_oCjw4-X2.jpg

That's very cool, BD. I think it was last Thanksgiving your kids announced the pregnancy.

(I've got my second grand-baby coming in January :D)

Best wishes,
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    sara505 wrote: »
    That's very cool, BD. I think it was last Thanksgiving your kids announced the pregnancy.

(I've got my second grand-baby coming in January :D)

Best wishes,

(Well we'd known for some time, but your memory is pretty damn good - they were visiting with us and made the annoucement to their Boston area friends. :-))
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    Dallas Turkey Trot

random shot
    1104412119_s52JR-M-2.jpg

the not so little anymore kids
    1104414320_BGTLJ-M-2.jpg
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    Cool shot, B. D.!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day of gatherings with friends and family!

Cheers!
    1104532927_GpWgC-L.jpg
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited November 25, 2010
    Excellent, rainbow. clap.gifclap.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010

Love your photo BD. Creative. Captures not just a moment but a situation and an era. So very 2010!! Wonderful that we can see your wife in the background.

Virginia

Email
    edited November 25, 2010
    I like your first one Gary, though I would like it better without the radial blur.

The second has a nice, friendly vibe to it.

Email
    edited November 25, 2010
    richard wrote: »
    excellent, rainbow. clap.gifclap.gif

+1

Email
  • NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    BD - There is no way I was expecting that. Goes to show you that no matter the distance, you can spend a holiday with your family to at least some extent.

Tracker - I like the 1st shot. Initially the effect used on the shot messed with me, but as I looked at it, the girl running among the adults is what drew me in.

Rainbow - I love the shot...I just can't figure out what else to say about it. For some reason, viewing people through a glass of some liquid will never get old. (That makes it sound like I have a drinking problem...)

Here are my entries from a fairly relaxed holiday.

#1: Traditional Thanksgiving - my uncle watching Football
    1105001692_aHhmZ-L.jpg

#2 - My Cousins lying on the sofa after the meal with the dog looking for scraps.
    1105000140_cb5Dq-L.jpg

#3 - My aunt chimping with her new toy.
    1105000185_Em9Vq-L.jpg
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    1104326158_oCjw4-X2.jpg

:) love this.
    Confession--I don't skype but I sort of know the concept (very Jetsons), at first I thought I had to find a button to hit play rolleyes1.gif.

What I love about this is other then the modern take is the screensaver behind the image and your daughter who either has something in her eye or is tearing up.

WOnderful image.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 26, 2010
    Tracker wrote: »
    Dallas Turkey Trot

random shot
    1104412119_s52JR-M-2.jpg

1104414320_BGTLJ-M-2.jpg

Hi there,
    Out of the two images, I like the first one best, but it does make me very dizzy to look at it for more than a couple of seconds. I can see that there is a certain look on the little girl's face that I enjoy. In general there seems to be some joy on some of the people there, just wish I didn't get dizzy when trying to analyze the shot.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 26, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    Cool shot, B. D.!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day of gatherings with friends and family!

Cheers!
    1104532927_GpWgC-L.jpg

Well done with the glass per person. Very cool--I like this very much.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 26, 2010
    BD - There is no way I was expecting that. Goes to show you that no matter the distance, you can spend a holiday with your family to at least some extent.

Tracker - I like the 1st shot. Initially the effect used on the shot messed with me, but as I looked at it, the girl running among the adults is what drew me in.

Rainbow - I love the shot...I just can't figure out what else to say about it. For some reason, viewing people through a glass of some liquid will never get old. (That makes it sound like I have a drinking problem...)

Here are my entries from a fairly relaxed holiday.

1105001692_aHhmZ-L.jpg

#2 - My Cousins lying on the sofa after the meal with the dog looking for scraps.
    1105000140_cb5Dq-L.jpg

1105000185_Em9Vq-L.jpg

#2 is the winner for me here--it says Thanksgiving to me. Excellent capture, I like the wide view also as well as your conversion. This shot pulls me in.

With #1, I'm curious to see more, he's chopped off kind of funny, makes me think he's kneeling, also the color is a little blah so I quickly looked at it and moved on.

#2 again--winner.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 26, 2010
    :) love this.
    Confession--I don't skype but I sort of know the concept (very Jetsons), at first I thought I had to find a button to hit play rolleyes1.gif.

What I love about this is other then the modern take is the screensaver behind the image and your daughter who either has something in her eye or is tearing up.

WOnderful image.

Thanks, Liz and all - It's something in her eye rolleyes1.gif Oh, and it's not skyping, it's just Mac video chat - neither of which I really have down yet. Weirdly enough, in LA my son, daughter-in-law and the baby could hear us fine - at our end, nada for sound. So they turned the speakerphone on on my son's iPhone, I did the same on my Blackberry, and we were having a TechnoTurkeyTalk...rolleyes1.gif

Speaking of... I am at the moment about two chapters into Fred Ritchin's "After Photography," which I am considering using as a replacement for Susan Sontag's "On Photography" for my photo classes. It is quite fascinating - and scary. It's actually a great companion for the Sontag book, but I know full well I'd have a mutiny on my hands if I assigned both books for the class.rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited November 26, 2010
    Thanks, Liz and all - It's something in her eye rolleyes1.gif Oh, and it's not skyping, it's just Mac video chat - neither of which I really have down yet. Weirdly enough, in LA my son, daughter-in-law and the baby could hear us fine - at our end, nada for sound. So they turned the speakerphone on on my son's iPhone, I did the same on my Blackberry, and we were having a TechnoTurkeyTalk...rolleyes1.gif

Speaking of... I am at the moment about two chapters into Fred Ritchin's "After Photography," which I am considering using as a replacement for Susan Sontag's "On Photography" for my photo classes. It is quite fascinating - and scary. It's actually a great companion for the Sontag book, but I know full well I'd have a mutiny on my hands if I assigned both books for the class.rolleyes1.gif

I'm so behind on technology.

I will now go and google "After photography" thanks B.D. perhaps an addition to my Christmas wish list.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 26, 2010
    Nyarthlopic--I don't know how I missed the third person on the floor on the first go around (the second shot again). I usually post my reaction to a shot and then later will go back and revisit. I noticed the third person on such a visit and the picture is now my favorite of all the submissions so far. It has it all.
    Your comatose teens, the third on the floor, the feet sticking out crack me up, the dog and the dinner table in the background with the turkey tablecloth, the foldout chairs. This is one of those that does not need a title.

I will post my soon, but they won't say "thanksgiving"clap.gif like yours does.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 26, 2010

I have always found the Sontag book thought provoking. Gonna order the Ritchin book today.

Virginia

Email
    edited November 26, 2010
    I want to add titles or captions to make these work, this is how I know they are not "stand alone" material. I will post them anyway. Shot with my 25mm pancake f2.8, sadly with my 50mm which is better in low light, well it was way too tight.

1.1105296457_bdaMY-L-1.jpg

1105298384_63J7M-L.jpg

3.Don't know if you need to know the players for this one to work. I know it's blurry, but....
    1105294861_bwtp3-L.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited November 26, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    I have always found the Sontag book thought provoking. Gonna order the Ritchin book today.

Virginia
    On Photography is very good, if a little daunting, but a lot has changed since then. I reread it recently and I kept asking myself what she would have had to say about the digital revolution.
  • TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback and insights everybody.
    I love the candids and the creative comps of the empty glasses and monitor screen.
    edited November 26, 2010
    I like all three of these, Liz. Something about #3 really appeals to me. I think that it is the juxtaposition of the hugging couple in the left foreground against the happy dancers in the background center. Anyway, it tugs at my heart.

What I like about #1 is that the men are talking away and the women are .... Well, we've all been there.

And #2 is classic.

Virginia

Email
    edited November 26, 2010
    Tracker wrote: »
    Dallas Turkey Trot

random shot

First is very well done! Like seeing the grown kids in #2. Thanks for sharing!
    edited November 26, 2010

#2 -- Like the framing and angles of this shot.

#3 -- Tell her about primes so that she doesn't need the pop-up flash -- then you can borrow them! thumb.gif
    edited November 26, 2010
    I want to add titles or captions to make these work, this is how I know they are not "stand alone" material. I will post them anyway. Shot with my 25mm pancake f2.8, sadly with my 50mm which is better in low light, well it was way too tight.

I like the first and third as they capture "family", the good and the bad. In first, I like how the guys are connecting while the women are disconnecting. The third captures the good times of people comfortable together (What is the guy on the left hugging??). Second is very characteristic, but you had a previous post shooting from the side that captured that type of scene much better.
    edited November 26, 2010
    Thank you, Liz! It was an overall fun gathering. When I looked through all the shots I had, mostly candid, almost all had smiling faces. With #1, I tried to convert it, but just didn't look right. The funny thing about the color: it's accurate. The walls are painted with an orange hue, sponge painting I believe. And he was sitting. In hindsight, I should have went for a lower angle. Also, thank you so much about your conversion feedback; it's something that I've been working really hard to improve.

Your gathering looked really enjoyable as well. The first one, the man on the right looks like a very animated speaker. Fun person to be in a room with, I'd imagine. #2 strikes a chord with me, too. I grew up watching more TV than I probably should have, so it brings me back. And the 3rd one, blurry as it is, shows a lot of joy. If any of them say "thanksgiving" to me, it would be #1. That said, I like #3 the best. Looking at the two pairs in the "background," it almost looks like they're dancing. The hug on the left looks like a teary goodbye, pulls on the heartstrings.

Great captures yourself, there, Liz! Thank you for sharing a glimpse of your family life!
    edited November 26, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    #2 -- Like the framing and angles of this shot.

#3 -- Tell her about primes so that she doesn't need the pop-up flash -- then you can borrow them! thumb.gif

Thank you for the feedback, Rainbow!

And I'd love to borrow glass, but I shoot Canon, she shoots Nikon. Dangit! ;-) I'm trying to teach her the value of a flash unit...easier 'sell.' ;-)

And yes, I know that #3 has nothing to do with Thanksgiving...I just found it amusing and had to share.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Nice shots everyone. Hope you are all enjoying the long weekend.
    edited November 27, 2010

1105001692_aHhmZ-Th.jpg
    The screen is a little dark, but I like the echo of the player's helmet and your uncle's head. :D

#2 is a fun family shot. thumb.gif
    edited November 27, 2010
    Any and all work for me Liz, but particularly two and three. Don't need to know who they are. The one suggestion I make is that you do a bit of dodging on the man's face on the left hand side of three.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com