Options

New Holga

damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
edited November 27, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Hey All,

Thought you'd like to see an experiment. My new Holga with some Fuji Reala 100...:

tzf4_039.jpg

tzf5_038.jpg

tzf6_039.jpg

Easy double exposure is fun fun fun.

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    Okay, I'll admit it - when I see Holga images worth looking at - and these are - my reaction invariably is, " Damn! I wish he'd used a 'real' camera."
    But I recognize that I'm in a minority on this subject. Love the second one, btw.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    I second B.D on this.

My reaction was similar, I was thinking what a waste of film.

Anyways hope you enjoy the images and have fun with the new toy.
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    I'll disagree. Love the Holga effect. The second shot with the distortion and funky color would be almost boring with a 'real' camera. Gives me the feeling of looking through a time portal. Good stuff. Have fun, and stock up on gaffers tape!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2010
    Totally! These are from my first roll of 12. I was shocked that I got anything at all because after I shot this roll and was loading the black and white, I realized that it was on the bulb setting. I didn't expect to get any images at all, but I got 12! I agree also about the time portal effect. I picked up gaffers tape yesterday. I shot this roll without it and I didn't have any light leaks, but from now on I'll still tape it up anyway. Waste of film? I guess that depends on your outlook. That time portal photograph is awesome for me and my son will love it when he's older.

Thanks for the comments. I'm getting the b/w and slides back on Thursday and will post anything that's worthy.

I'm also having fun with my other new toy, my F6. Not missing my 5D2 yet...
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    You got 12! On my last Holga roll I got 2:)--I also had it on bulb and night when it was day. But I really like how the two came out.
    I have a roll in there now that has been there for about 3 months and still has about 3 frames left--I'm afraid to have it developed. I also purchased all the developing stuff so I can try and develop my own film and then scan the film in and see what happens.

Anyway, I really like the way #2 came out, it's my favorite of the bunch. The word moody comes to mind.
    I also like the double exposure. I didn't know how to achieve a double exposure when I first shot my roll and I went to a HOlga forum to find out how--couldn't believe how simple it was.

Glad you posted these.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    Very nice! I love lomo and I'm really glad to know that I'm not too far behind the curve when I get 2 shots out of 12 that turn out. lol3.gif

I really dig the last one. I haven't really mastered the art of the double exposure, since all of mine end up wayyy over- or under-exposed.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2010
    Thanks Liz, yes, the double exposure is pretty simple - just click twice. I even tried a triple. As I practice more, I hope to get better control of the little beast. Finish that roll and post!

Schmoo, thanks - if I develop any kind of teachable technique in regard to double exposure, I will let you know!
  • Options
    jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    IMO the Holga's a tool like any other and I keep it in my bag with the D200. I am disappointed in those that don't see that. I love mine, it was how I rediscovered film (I'm a +/- 2 in 12 shooter too).

I think you did a great job with your first roll, #3 is my fav. Keep shooting with it, I hope to see more.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2010
    jpope42 wrote: »
    I think you did a great job with your first roll, #3 is my fav. Keep shooting with it, I hope to see more.

Thanks Jim. I think I had beginner's luck. I can't wait to pick up the other two rolls on Thursday!
  • Options
    Bob in GVBob in GV Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    Love them. Especially when I think of all the money people spend on special lenses to get that soft feel.
    I guess in a digital world, crisp is the look and PS is the real medium.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    Bob in GV wrote: »
    Love them. Especially when I think of all the money people spend on special lenses to get that soft feel.

Not hardly. ;-) You want to see "sharp?" Shoot some Fuji Accross (sp) 100 in a Leica M with a 35 1.4 aspheric on it. PhotoShop is nothing but today's darkroom.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2010
    Bob in GV wrote: »

Thans Bob.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Not hardly. ;-) You want to see "sharp?" Shoot some Fuji Accross (sp) 100 in a Leica M with a 35 1.4 aspheric on it. PhotoShop is nothing but today's darkroom.

True. I shot some Fuji Velvia 100 last month with my Nikon F6 and the 50mm 1.8d and my eyes almost bled from the sharpness.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    I've always found a reason NOT to order a Holga every time I'm browsing around @ B&H. I usually say to myself that I can just run a plug-in or whatever to get that effect/look/mood, but it never works out as I thought it would...

I'm gonna order a Holga asap. Dang you Damonff... you're a bad influence!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2010
    Sorry Aaron. I got this one last week that I love!

tzf3_040.jpg
  • Options
    SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    damonff wrote: »
    Sorry Aaron. I got this one last week that I love!

tzf3_040.jpg

I disagree with those saying that the quality would "improve" with a "better" camera...

I love the aesthetic you have going here. Very ethereal and other-worldly.
    ---My Photography Homepage---

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengford
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2010
    I disagree with those saying that the quality would "improve" with a "better" camera...

I love the aesthetic you have going here. Very ethereal and other-worldly.

Thank you Shane. It does have that feel. It looks very old although it's only one week old!
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2010
    Last one from the color roll:

Untitled-48.jpg
  • Options
    StephenPGStephenPG Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 23, 2010
    First post... sorry for no introduction but I had to jump in here.

And I am backing Damonff on this one. The Holga is a real camera. At what point does this argument end? So you take an image with a new wiz-bang DLSR and I say "What a waste, why didn't you shoot this on a Linhof with a Schneider lens on 8x10 film!" The reason these images work is BECAUSE they were shot with the Holga. Yes, I'll admit that the this type of camera is not for everything and that lomography is getting a little over done but Damonff has caught that moment with these images. To me these would not have worked with tack sharp focus and perfect exposure.

By the way... this guy did an entire series with a Holga... and some of them were in Life Magazine.

Not to highjack this thread but I will post one of mine I'm partial to. I just don't think I would have liked this if I shot it with my 50D.

4876671698_24803b709c_b.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2010
    Love the shot and the analysis.

BD loves Holga shots - I think...!

Can't wait to see the other samples.
  • Options
    StephenPGStephenPG Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 25, 2010
    5053072674_04ce118a81_b.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2010
    StephenPG wrote: »
    5053072674_04ce118a81_b.jpg

another good one
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2010
    STOP IT!

You're going to make me go buy one of these this weekend if you keep this nonsense up. (so IF i do, should i go the 35mm route or stick with the 120 format?)

Seriously, I look at the Holga/Diana as just another tool as well. IMO, it's a real camera that has certain characteristics in the output others don't. Nothing more - Nothing less.

And I think the shots posted are awesome. thumb.gif

• Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    I also think the Holga is an interesting camera, and like the effect. Good shots.

For the "Night" setting, actually, I think it does nothing. The aperture/hole in the night setting is behind the normal aperture, so it has no effect.

Really like the b/w boy shot.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2010
    M38A1 wrote: »
    STOP IT!

You're going to make me go buy one of these this weekend if you keep this nonsense up. (so IF i do, should i go the 35mm route or stick with the 120 format?)

Seriously, I look at the Holga/Diana as just another tool as well. IMO, it's a real camera that has certain characteristics in the output others don't. Nothing more - Nothing less.

And I think the shots posted are awesome. thumb.gif

120. You will love the negatives. They're huge.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2010
    I also think the Holga is an interesting camera, and like the effect. Good shots.

For the "Night" setting, actually, I think it does nothing. The aperture/hole in the night setting is behind the normal aperture, so it has no effect.

Really like the b/w boy shot.

You have to manipulate the Holga to your way of shooting. I shoot it on the bulb setting and kind of linger on the hold sometimes to get more exposure...