Options

photography is like bowling

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited August 20, 2005 in The Big Picture
when i bowl, i can get a strike! at times i even impress the "house bowlers" . problem is consistency! good bowlers, even the ones without over 200 averages, have a style and skill level that makes them consistent, and that must be a comfortbale feeling. i can throw 5 strikes in a row one night and not a single strike in the next game. its an uncomfortable feeling. practice alone isnt the ingredient for success, and thats what im learning. its style, its "form" its learning what you do that can be repeated the next time and over time.....

photography is the same to me. you can strike ( hey i got a KPOTD) and you can even impress the "great ones" but if your not consistent - you really dont belong in the mens league. in bowling you get a second chance to get them all down. in digital photography you get a chance to do it over again also... but its also true that making a spare and knowing how and what to correct for an improper exposure is an art it in itself.....

bowling and photography are what i like to do. each makes me feel at time so uncomfortable, so "second rate", yet the opportunity to get that "strike" is what keeps you getting going.....

photography and bowling seem very similar to me.... consistency is the hallmark standard to which ultimatley i guess you are judged.

ps. one more similarity ( both are getting quite expensive these days )

troy

Comments

• Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    A really good point very well made.
    Ten Pin is a great game, haven't played in ages, but can see your similarities. Maybe I shall take the other half for a game this weekend.

I could suggest golf but you would find all the similarities you did in bowling and then some rolleyes1.gif At least you stay nice & dry with bowling and a beer and a burger are always on hand.

Saying that I am pretty sure that the 'pro's' out there can not say without a hint of lie that they sometimes fail, or can they????
    I've just taken a recent interest in photography and the learning curve is steeper than I expected. As for the cost, crikey I thought golf was expensive. Photography takes the biscuit with that one! :D
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Couldn't agree more.. Although it doesn't bother me so much that I'm a "sub 150 pt/game" photographer. The fun part is when I get lucky and get that 'strike' of a photo.. That and the process of getting it.

I'm an inganeer (engineer to some) by trade. We aren't known for our creativeness and that's okay by me. I enjoy it and at the end of the day that's all that really matters..
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    NHBubba wrote:
    Couldn't agree more.. Although it doesn't bother me so much that I'm a "sub 150 pt/game" photographer. The fun part is when I get lucky and get that 'strike' of a photo.. That and the process of getting it.

I'm an inganeer (engineer to some) by trade. We aren't known for our creativeness and that's okay by me. I enjoy it and at the end of the day that's all that really matters..
    That's why it's more like golf. Shoot a crappy 92, but that one long, straight, and perfect drive or that approach shot that hits the green and is 12 inches from the hole keeps you excited and coming back for more.

In bowling, for me, it's more about the beer.:D
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    I agree with Khaos... I compare my golf game with photography and well, even my worst pictures is better than my golf game. Your are right about being consistant... It seems as if there are more and more photographers signing up for DG who are far, far better than I could ever be. (I am still trying to get one of my pictures notice by someone at DG so it can make the "DG Get the shot" banner).

I guess I will never make a living as a pro golfer... That said, I may never make a living as pro photographer... BUT, I can take one good picture that makes someone, in this fast moving world, to stop and look. When they stop, they might look at the world a bit different or just look at the world.

Since I have started here at DG, I have learned a lot.. I know you have to Troy... I have seen it. I hate knowing that 90% of my shots deserve the trash pile. But the 10% that shows the plain TRUTH, the invisible qualities that can clearly be seen when we stop and look around... people are without excuse to not recognize gentle blooming flower, the majesty of mountains, laughing of children or crying babes...

Photographers of all kinds and skill have the ability to give witness to this simple Truth...

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited August 20, 2005
    I felt like this at golf today...

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 20, 2005
    Very nice analogy Troy and you're right... it's always about form...
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    love the picture!!!!! clap.gif

thanx Angelo!

troy

Angelo wrote:
    Very nice analogy Troy and you're right... it's always about form...
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    That's why it's more like golf. Shoot a crappy 92, but that one long, straight, and perfect drive or that approach shot that hits the green and is 12 inches from the hole keeps you excited and coming back for more.

In bowling, for me, it's more about the beer.:D

92, crappy! I've just got my game down to the lower 90's after 4 years of playing. Shot an 89 last week and just about to hit the course this morning.

Angelo, great picture thumb.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    That is a super fantastic bowling photo! Did you take that Angelo??? Super!

That said: photography and bowling can be about many things, and they are to different people.

I hate bowling, despise it! Used to like tennis, so that analogy would work for me.

However, I still say that they are about different things to different people.

And I hear that you not only have to be consistent, but you are only as good, at photography, as your worst photo. On that note, one would only be as good as the worst game bowled.

We do have something in photography that we don't have in a sport. We can trash/hide, whatever, our worst photos...

I am struggling with this whole concept right now. What to post? what to trash immediately. And my family is just hoping that some day they will get to see the photos from the graduation get together. They are trying to convince me that it doesn't matter to them that they are terrible rotten bad photos, if they are. And I do know that is true, they only care if they look terrible rotten bad in the photos of whatever quality.

Some people are trying to grow in photography, some people are just passing time, some people are playing, some people are trying to learn a profitable skill. ETc.

And tennis was the same way................very frustrating sometimes. Especially for people on totally different pages.

ginger

(Dripping sweat (glow is not the word for it) outdoors today at the creek, way before 10 AM, today. They are talking about heat and humidity combining to feel like 110 degrees. Photography became impossible. I came home after about 2 hrs.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.