Options

Stumpy Lake - Thanksgiving Day B&W

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited December 1, 2010 in Landscapes
Stumpy Lake in Va Beach, VA. C&C welcomed.

1106172867_3SuoH-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    Nice shot Travis
    I remember those trees from when I lived in DC. Always meant to get a shot of them but never did...
    I like the composition and use of B/W.
    I would consider cropping the two dead trees on the right. They seem to shift the balance of the photo a bit.
    E
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    this is a great B/W composition. I feel a lot of depth in this photo. I'm not sure about cropping out the trees on the right, after all this is "Stumpy Lake", although it would balance out the image.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. This was a 9 frame pano. I will look at different croppings. I appreciate the input!
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Hey, Travis, nice to see you posting. I really like this composition and how you processed the conversion.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2010
    Thanks Dan. I've been MIA lately due to an ankle operation (hard to take photos when you can't stand) but hopefully I'll get back into participating more on the forum. I kind of miss my dgrin family! :D
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    Hey Travis welcome back! Sorry to hear about the ankle but I hope the worst is over.

I love this shot, the processing, everything. I would have guessed this was somewhere in the deep-deep south, not as far north as VA!

That said, I like the two dead trees on the right, as it's almost indicative of the newer trees' fate. If anything I would love to see this shot just a little wider so that we could see the tops of the trees themselves.

Of course, trees usually don't lend themselves to the perfect shape for photographers, so you do have to end the frame somewhere. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2010
    Thank you Schmoo. After printing it, I decided to keep the crop as is. I looked better with the dead trees off-setting to the right. Now if I can just find a way to get the trees to shorten themselves, I'd be in business. :-)