Options

People=kryptonite for me <please critique>

TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited December 2, 2010 in People
OK, even though I have about 500 miles to go before I think I might begin to get comfortable shooting people, I'd like some critique. Every journey begins with one step, right? Hopefully, no twisted ankle to start the journey on.

So, my thick, tough skin is on. Bring it on. Posing, comp, PP, lighting (or lack thereof), etc. During this shoot (my family), I tried off-camera fill flash through an umbrella, but was so disappointed, I didn't even bother to PP.

TIA

1109453369_wbCGd-L.jpg

#2 (unfortunately, the dog was so excited to be at the park, he ran until his tongue was draggin')
1109454938_sVaLY-L.jpg

1109478913_gJkPY-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    I'll just start by saying I've seen MUCH MUCH worse shots coming from "professionals" who shoot nearly full time. So you're miles ahead of them already. I've seen "pros" (and their clients) rant and rave over shots with horrible flash, crappy lighting and just down right point-and-shoot quality pictures. These are FARRR better than those, promise.

The first one, isn't *that* bad, it seems like the focus is on the tree, not their faces. What was your aperture? Your bokeh is gorgeous, but it seems like your focus was a hair off. Warming this up would help it out a little bit - don't be disappointed in this one, it has great potential.

Second shot, the human's poses are off and funky. If they were sitting down beside the dog, it would be more relaxed, I think. It looks like they sat there and posed for a picture - more of a candid shot would go better here.

Third shot, again, not *bad* but it seems like their faces are little soft, slow shutter speed maybe? The bark on the tree appears to be more in focus than their faces.

Few things to try next time: bring a stepstool. Have him sit down, let him get comfortable (if they are uncomfortable, they'll look uncomfortable). Sit her down in front of him, again, let her get comfortable. Make sure they're "overlapping" shoulders (his left behind her right or vice versa) and shoot from a step stool a few feet away from them. They'll be looking up at you naturally, which is a flattering pose for most everybody. If they're romantically involved (which I'm assuming they are) have him whisper sweet nothings in her ear or pull her hair back - any form of affection will make it ten times sweeter.

Overall, they're not bad - chin up! Give that first one some PP love and re-post it, I'm curious to see what you'll do with it.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Start with levels adjustment, get some pop into the photos.
    Once you set your black and white points you will see instant improvement.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2010
    Thanks a bunch l.k. Getting my focus spot on is still a challenge for me. I know I need to go for the eyes and do try to check myself on that. I've got to learn to use the focusing system better on my D90.

Would you have sat them down Indian style or on their knees?

On the stepstool idea, are you saying like the one step stool kiddos use to reach the sink to brush their teeth? Sit them both on the stool, or just him?
    Thanks again.
    zoomer wrote: »
    Start with levels adjustment, get some pop into the photos.
    Once you set your black and white points you will see instant improvement.

this is where my ignorance shows. ...set your black and white points... can you clarify. I have LR3. Thanks.bowdown.gif

is this using the blacks setting to just start clipping the black in the image and the exposure to get as close to blowing out the detail. When I tried moving the exposure to even close to blowing out (showing the red overexposed masking in the image), their faces were totally blown out, even when using recovery.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2010
    redo #1
    1109453369_wbCGd-L-2.jpg

replace/redo #3
    1109452430_g8zr3-L-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2010
    HOpe you don't mind.
    Here it is with levels adjustments and skin tone away from the blue tone to a warmer tone......whatever suits your eye is right.
    The original photo is not sharp and was taken underexposed so is now noisy and will never be sharp at this size.

For portraits go into your menu and set your picture control to the most neutral one your camera has, that helps Greatly to eliminate the glowing and or blown out skin. If shooting raw then you will need to choose the most neutral control your processing software gives you.

Your redos are better but lack contrast. My guess is that you had a very slow shutterspeed.

1112167922_vrw8e-O.jpg
  • Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Sorry but I have to disagree. Since the original was underexposed, I feel like this needs a gentler tweak to make it pop a bit and optimize what's there rather than pushing it so far the other way. Something like this. Just my take on it.

1109453369_wbCGd-Lfix.jpg
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2010
    Yours is still dull and underexposed....probaby somewhere in the middle :D. Agree mine is not quite right either.

The trick is to take the photo in good light and well exposed in the first place, trying to fix it after the fact will never be as good.

The worst light, I call it green death, is in the shade in a predominately green park with natural light. Unfortunately this is exactly where most amateurs attempt to take their portraits.