Options

Haleakala Sunrise

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited November 30, 2010 in Landscapes
I've been busy processing more of the Maui shots between multiple business trips. Here are some of my current favorites. This is from the summit of Mount Haleakala at sunrise. I've been trying to capture as close as possible the look and feeling from the top.

#1 The sun is just beginning to make an appearance

1077884667_B9xSi-L-1.jpg

#2 Golden Clouds. It's amazing what happens to the clouds when you are looking down.

1084647578_WjQwv-L.jpg

#3 Just after sunrise at the Kalahaku Overlook

1077885413_S5CnR-L.jpg

Others can be found here and here...

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Tom
    That first one is very nice! Only nit is that I wish there were a bit more or less of that outcropping on the lower right corner.
    That third looks out-of-this-world...literally!
    E
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Really nice set. I've been there and never seem to catch a clear day, the center of the volcano is other-worldy as you have captured. What focal length were you using.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Very nice,Tom. I agree on the crop in the first one. You might play with it, but regardless it is really good.
  • Options
    TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2010
    Nice shots!...No. 3 my favorite. I remember being there with my wife in '93 on the sunrise bicycle tour. I had my Nikon FE2 and the battery died just as the sun was coming up (maybe it was the 28 degree temp :) Fortunately the FE2 had a manual setting that would work with no battery so I was able to recover within few minutes. That crater is really something else.....nice to see your photos of it.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 30, 2010
    Very nice shots.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2010
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Tom
    That first one is very nice! Only nit is that I wish there were a bit more or less of that outcropping on the lower right corner.
    That third looks out-of-this-world...literally!
    E

E,

Thanks...Yeah, the foreground bugs me a little. It's somewhat unavoidable. There's a railing to keep you from the edge so if you what as much of the crater floor as possible you wind up with the edge showing up.

The view from the other overlook definitely is like Mars. I used to have to go up here to work about 20 something years ago over in the Science City facilities (when they weren't much more than sealed trailers) and we used to say that it was like working in a submarine on the surface of Mars.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2010
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Really nice set. I've been there and never seem to catch a clear day, the center of the volcano is other-worldy as you have captured. What focal length were you using.

Doug,

The first show is 26mm, the second 28, and the third 45.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2010
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Very nice,Tom. I agree on the crop in the first one. You might play with it, but regardless it is really good.

Thanks Dan. I'll probably look at it again, but short of some serious cropping or cloning I'll probably have to live with it.
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Nice shots!...No. 3 my favorite. I remember being there with my wife in '93 on the sunrise bicycle tour. I had my Nikon FE2 and the battery died just as the sun was coming up (maybe it was the 28 degree temp :) Fortunately the FE2 had a manual setting that would work with no battery so I was able to recover within few minutes. That crater is really something else.....nice to see your photos of it.

Thanks, Trey.
    kdog wrote: »
    Very nice shots.

Thanks, Joel.