Options

What would you do

stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
edited November 30, 2010 in Cameras
Have a bit of a lens problem and not sure what to do about it. Here is the problem.

About 3-4 years ago, got my father a tamron 24-135mm f3.5-5.6 as a walk around lens for his canon rebel xt to take on a trip to Greece. I borrowed the lens about 3 years ago along with his body as a backup when I went to Costa Rica. I liked using that lens so much (used on the xt and on a 20d) I made a decision to get myself one. Found one used and got it last year. I used that lens of maybe 3 -4 months and then began getting a weird ER 01 message anytime I was zoomed out past 70mm or so. Put the lens aside to get repaired and forgot about (out of sight out of mind). Tried it again last week, same problem (I shoot a canon 5d). Tested it on a canon rebel xti and it gave an ER 99 code when zoomed out past 70 or so. I emailed Tamron service and this is part of the email they sent me.

"That lens is not a digital lens, so we cannot guarantee performance when used on a digital camera. We can certainly attempt a repair, but it will not be guaranteed for use on a digital camera. Repair charges for that lens would run $150."

So here is my problem. Do I pay the 150 and hope it gets fixed? I know this model worked on (not this exact lens) worked on my old 20d and a 350d. This lens used to work on my 5d. What to do? Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    edited November 30, 2010
    just an fd mount canon. All my film bodies are between 30 and 50+ years old. Don't know anyone around here that has an old EOS film body.

The lens worked fine for several months (it is a used one) and then started giving the error code.

FWIW, this lens is only 10 years old. It is their 50th anniversary edition (they are currently advertising their 60th anniversary). It is a lens designed for EOS bodies. Digital or film, I don't see why it would be a problem. Of course, I don't know much on this issue and is why I am asking.

-Jon
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2010
    Thanks Richy.
  • Options
    OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Only used digital lens, but i know when i got error 99 i just cleaned the contacts on the camera with a pencil eraser on my 20d and never had a problem after that.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Yes, I don't know whether it's 02 or 03 or 99 or 01 or whatever but one of them is due to dirty contacts. Clean your contacts and see if that helps.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2010
    I will clean my contacts. Thanks for the replies. Funny how none of my other lenses act up.
  • Options
    OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    well if its just that lens, try cleaning both the camera contacts and lens contacts too.