Options

More, More of the Ravages of Time

Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited December 2, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Here are three more from my outing yesterday. Two more of the interior of the house and one of a barn on the same property.

From my Ravages of Time gallery
1110560519_JeLV8-M.jpg
"The Ravages of Time Series - Photo #54"

1110561076_s27th-M.jpg
"The Ravages of Time Series - Photo #55"

1110560743_gzPfn-M.jpg
"The Ravages of Time Series - Photo #56"
C&C welcomed and encouraged
Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking

Comments

• Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    I love that last shot. It's like a tree house... built in the wrong order lol.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2010
    Thank you for looking and taking the time to comment
    Scooba Steve

Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • Options
    TrackerTracker Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    I like #9 in your gallery.
    Of these 3, #1 and #3 are the better ones. I think the angles and lines flow better in #1 than in #2. #2 doesn't do much for me.
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    #3 is my favorite of the three you posted. I like #52 in your gallery as well.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    When ever I see photos like these of inside an old building -- it makes me wonder about life there at one time. All the happy times along with sad times too.

#2 is my fav.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2010
    Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment
    Scooba Steve

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Love the subject matter!

C&C as requested ~ Of course, these are my own preferences, and may not be yours, which of course matters the most, since they are your pics thumb.gif

First image:
    I do like what you have here, although I think the composition could have been stronger if you wouldn't have almost centered the doorway.

IMHO, there is a LOT of great textures going to waste in your images with the "flat" processing.

What was your goal for this image?
    * Old flat looking image
    * Textures?
    * Just a general view of the interior?

Second image:
    This just isn't working for me, mainly due to the comp. The partial wall is cutting the image into 1/3 ~ 1/2.

Third image:
    While I certainly like the structure, I think once again your comp could have been stronger. The structures are centered, and for me, not enough breathing room around them for this point-of-view.

I did go into your gallery and had a look. Lots of nice shots there, although you do have a tendency to center your subject on a lot of your shots.

If this is your goal for your images, then Cool Beans!
    If your not paying attention to your comp, you might keep that in mind on your next shoot.

I've not given you C&C to bash, but because I see a lot of potential in what your doing thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2010
    Randy thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

In regards to the "flat" processing on the interior shots, I went back and forth with the issue of texture. I brought the details up a bit during processing but they started to border on what appeared to me to be a B&W HDR image (to say I'm not a fan of HDR would be a gross understatement). I may reprocess the shots and see if I can find a balance. Composition of the interior shots in this thread and the other was limited by the fact that the shots were actually shot from outside the farm house. I was a bit concerned about safety and trespassing issues. The first shot here in this thread was the first thing I saw when I looked through the window at this room, I felt it a striking enough view to preserve. I was not overly impressed with the second shot myself, but I was encouraged to include it... I don't think it will be staying in the gallery.

Now, on to the composition of the third shot. I would have preferred that the subject of this shot occupy less than 2/3 of the horizon and be offset to the viewers right. However, like many of the shots in my gallery, these structures while being abandoned do not sit in endless, open fields. While time has rendered them into the condition I love, it has also allowed many modern distracting things to encroach upon them, to within annoyingly close proximity of the subjects. In the third shot here a busy, four lane section of Ohio State Route 14 runs just 10 feet off the left end (viewers left) of the barn, complete with utility poles and lines (I had to Photoshop out the utility lines). in the distance to the right, just out of frame, is a huge communications tower.

Thanks again for the input.
    Scooba Steve

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Randy thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

In regards to the "flat" processing on the interior shots, I went back and forth with the issue of texture. I brought the details up a bit during processing but they started to border on what appeared to me to be a B&W HDR image (to say I'm not a fan of HDR would be a gross understatement). I may reprocess the shots and see if I can find a balance. Composition of the interior shots in this thread and the other was limited by the fact that the shots were actually shot from outside the farm house. I was a bit concerned about safety and trespassing issues. The first shot here in this thread was the first thing I saw when I looked through the window at this room, I felt it a striking enough view to preserve. I was not overly impressed with the second shot myself, but I was encouraged to include it... I don't think it will be staying in the gallery.

Now, on to the composition of the third shot. I would have preferred that the subject of this shot occupy less than 2/3 of the horizon and be offset to the viewers right. However, like many of the shots in my gallery, these structures while being abandoned do not sit in endless, open fields. While time has rendered them into the condition I love, it has also allowed many modern distracting things to encroach upon them, to within annoyingly close proximity of the subjects. In the third shot here a busy, four lane section of Ohio State Route 14 runs just 10 feet off the left end (viewers left) of the barn, complete with utility poles and lines (I had to Photoshop out the utility lines). in the distance to the right, just out of frame, is a huge communications tower.

Thanks again for the input.

Hey Steve,

No need to explain, I was giving some requested input about the images, but mostly just a friendly reminder that as photogs, we need to have an image "goal" in mind before we shoot. Something that I still have to force myself to do at times! I have no way of knowing if these images were spot-on for you.

If your happy, I'm happy thumb.gif

Looking forward to more of your work!
    Randy
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2010
    rwells wrote: »
    Hey Steve,

No need to explain, I was giving some requested input about the images, but mostly just a friendly reminder that as photogs, we need to have an image "goal" in mind before we shoot. Something that I still have to force myself to do at times! I have no way of knowing if these images were spot-on for you.

If your happy, I'm happy thumb.gif

thumb.gif
    Scooba Steve