help? i`m looking for a tripod

dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited December 9, 2010 in Accessories
Hi,
can anyone give me suggestions on what tripod to buy? I just don`t know what to get.
I`m looking to spend about $300. And I`m 6'1 tall :D

Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    a lot of us have been quite happy with Giottos.....it really depends on your shooting habits and things like that.
    I do a lot of landscape and alos close up at weird angles so I like my removable-re-positionable center column...
    some do not like center columns at all....they do take away from the sturdiness of the pod if used improperly: ie..pulled
    way up for greater height...but if a sandbag or other weight is hung off the bottom, you regain most of the original sturdiness,
    at least that has been my experience.
    I went Giottos and have been using mine for over 5yrs without complaint....others really like Feisol ...not nearly as expensive a Gitzo
    but have very good reviews.

here is alink to the type of Giottos I use....it shows the versatility quite well: http://www.giottos.com/MT-9.htm
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• MyFinalCareerMyFinalCareer Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 5, 2010
    I spent a lot of time and research selecting a tripod and finally selected the Slik Pro700DX. It's a very tall, very sturdy tripod and the weight is not an issue in my case since my shooting environment is urban and I'm not carrying it up mountains, etc. With both leg extensions fully telescoped, you will have little need for the central column extended much if any. For a head, I bought the Vanguard SBH-300 and am very happy with that as well. both tripod and head are rated for plenty of weight and I've not had a problem loading them with a pano setup, D200, and any variety of glass. I recently replaced the Vanguard QR with an arca compatible clamp, so my investment in this was about $100 for the legs, $100 for the head, and $65 for the arca clamp (with another $40 or so for the D200 plate) so in my case it's right about at your $300 budget. I also purchased an old (60's) Gitzo Studex that also is very tall and stable. I paid about $100 for it and I use it and the Slik interchangeably for my uses, though I'll usually choose the Slik. As for carbon fiber... I recently purchased an Induro AM25 monopod on Amazon for $53 after reading lots of reviews and wanting something light, quick, tall, and short when collapsed. I then found a "deal" on ebay and bought a high end Gitzo GM3860C carbon fiber monopod which sells for 5 times as much ($250). Any comparison I do between the 2 has me liking the Induro much more - it collapses more, it's longer when deployed, it's faster to extend and retract. I'll be selling the Gitzo soon. Good luck!

dantambok wrote: »
    Hi,
    can anyone give me suggestions on what tripod to buy? I just don`t know what to get.
    I`m looking to spend about $300. And I`m 6'1 tall :D

thanks wings.gif
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Take a look at a Feisol CT-3441. It's graphite, and if I remember correctly, its in your $300 price point.
    I have a Slik 800 Ball Head on top of mine.
  • dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Guys, im increasing my budget to about 600$. im looking at the gitzo gk 1880cqg thats for about 625us. Any thoughts about it?
    Or any other suggestions?
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    dantambok wrote: »
    Guys, im increasing my budget to about 600$. im looking at the gitzo gk 1880cqg thats for about 625us. Any thoughts about it?
    Or any other suggestions?
    Just to make sure, you do know that just buying a tripod doesn't give you an effective way of attaching the camera to it, right? You need some kind of head as well. If this is news to you, your $600 isn't going to go as far as you think. Though I could afford more, I found a Giottos tripod with a Markins ballhead an excellent price/performance point (and allowed me to invest in some better glass).

Please do a search on tripod for more information and options, this question is asked on a weekly basis.

Roak
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    roakey wrote: »
    Just to make sure, you do know that just buying a tripod doesn't give you an effective way of attaching the camera to it, right? You need some kind of head as well. If this is news to you, your $600 isn't going to go as far as you think. Though I could afford more, I found a Giottos tripod with a Markins ballhead an excellent price/performance point (and allowed me to invest in some better glass).

Please do a search on tripod for more information and options, this question is asked on a weekly basis.

Roak

I know but the gitzo im looking at already comes with a head because it's a kit :D