Options

Slaughtered Goats at Sunrise

desertpaddlerdesertpaddler Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited December 5, 2010 in Journeys
Hi all

Fair Warning: Some photos here are probably not for the squeamish.

The country of Oman is may favourite in the Arabian world and I go there as often as I can. The roads through this area are dirt tracks and a 4-wheel drive is pretty much mandatory.

Al%2BHail%2BSmall-38.jpg

Recently, while camping in the mountains I was invited to join a small (and I mean tiny) village for the religious holiday of Eid Al Adha.
To Muslims this is a significant event (and it should resonate with Jews and Christians who are familiar with the story of Abraham and
the sacrifice required of him) and as an outsider I was honoured to be invited. My son, 12, was camping with me and, being a city boy,
was able to witness events that he would normally never encounter (and he made a good friend as well.)

After their morning prayer, villagers gather in small family groups and enact a sacrifice, usually goats but cows for those who can afford it.

Al%2BHail%2BSmall-10.jpg

The meat is portioned into three sections (family, friends and donation to the poor.) The first meal being a breakfast made from the fresh liver, mixed with spices.

I was given a rare glimpse into Arabic family life and was regularly invited in for arabic coffee and sweets which was served while sitting in a circle on the floor.

Al%2BHail%2BSmall-27.jpg

If you'd like to see and read more please feel free to visit my blog entry. I plan a follow up for the remainder of the day (and next morning) I spent in the village.
But as I say, exercise prudence if you are squeamish.

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Thanks for sharing, very nice!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    What an awesome experience to be part of!
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2010
    20DNoob wrote: »
    What an awesome experience to be part of!

A treasure, for sure. Love #3. Powerful and gorgeous.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2010
    Thanks for all the kind comments.
    I'll be posting an update in the near future when I get 5 minutes to go through the images and do a write up.
  • Options
    aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Amazing pictures. I love all three.
    The dirt roads in the first one seem to be on fire. Looks almost as if the top of the mountain is breaking away and the earth will spew fire.
    The POV of the second (view from the knife) is just ingenious.
    And the separation between the young and the old guy as well as their body posture pointing away from each other seems to suggest some sort of conflict. This makes a very strong and emotional picture.
    I must say, those are superb images. Can't wait to see more from you!
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2010
    Thanks agunther for the feedback, the 2nd image is also my favourite, I saw the guy approaching and had only enough time to fire of that one shot before everything changed.
    My second favourite will be posted in a follow on entry when I find a few minutes, be sure to see some of the others in the accompanying blog entry.

Thanks once again to all for taking the time to comment.