Options

Quoting of images

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited December 7, 2010 in Dgrin Forum Support
I have a question. What is the general consensus about quoting images?

In some threads, there is only one photo mentioned, but then it is quoted 2 more times by 4 posters. Great in that I can see the photo two more times as I scroll to the reply box, but is that necessary?

In other threads, 10 images are present in the OP. . . and someone quotes all of them and writes "nice set." Now I 've got to scroll past a huge post.

I can understand quoting a single image here or there if the images are not numbered and someone wants to make a comment relating to one image, but isn't there netiquette relating to this sort of thing?

It is a peeve of mine, as my monitor on one of my computers is really really small. Surely I'm not the only one?

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    You surely are definitely not the only one. I report them to the Place Requests to Moderators Here thread and a Mod usually takes care of it by modifying the thread. If not they explain why for that thread, usually...

It's usually repeat offenders, too. and often, those replying from off-line by email subscription or RSS service.

eek7.gifscratchne_nau.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    a lot of times people need to see the images to reply and then simply forget to delete the image before posting their reply.....
    also there are tons of people that will post more than 1 image....upto a dozen and not number them, that makes it almost
    impossible to reply to their post if they are asking for CC.....then I usually will ask them to go back and number the images
    so people can reply easier.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    a lot of times people need to see the images to reply . . . .......

I understand that and can certainly appreciate that. I noticed you did that in a recent thread. I personally try to describe the photo but quoting an image in that case is certainly acceptable by "my book."

It is just when people quote entire blocks of images and then say, "I love them all, especially #3" that it gets to be hard to scroll through. Not a whole lotta point to do that.

I'm the same way on longer posts. Cut down the post to a few lines or so (I've used yours as an example, though I wouldn't normally cut a post of that lenght) and people know what you are talking about, but it doesn't clutter up the thread.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    What is the general consensus about quoting images?
    I only quote them where relevant, and then only as 'small' images. Seems a sensible compromise. nod.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 7, 2010
    In most instances, people just hit the "reply" button and quote the entire post. We would prefer you prune the quote to include only the relevant part. Regardless of whether it's an image or text quote.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?