Options

opinions on new banner

digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
edited August 21, 2005 in Holy Macro
ok, I'm all tapped out of creative juices at this point. I've been working on a new banner because I had an idea but I don't know if the end result is appropriate for a banner.

I think it's a cool idea, but wanted to run it by you guys.

FOR REVISED VERSION, LOOK AT MY LATER POST.

Comments

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    I think it is a very cool idea, but maybe a little busy. If you lowered the opacity of the bottom circuit board layer, maybe it would simplify is some. Very creative stuff.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I think it is a very cool idea, but maybe a little busy. If you lowered the opacity of the bottom circuit board layer, maybe it would simplify is some. Very creative stuff.
    ah, yes, thank you. I kept looking at it thinking "busy? hmmmm, color background w/ b&w pics?" I've made a note!

ok, here are 2 versions:

one with opacity turned down:
    REMOVED

and another with the background inverted & the pics rearranged for what I consider to be a "better connection":
    REMOVED
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    How big will it be when it's finally displayed? If it's smaller than we see in this thread, then I'd agree that it's too busy.

I'm also thinking it needs a focus, something that first attracts the eye. Right now it has a lot of similar size elements. What's the important message to communicate? The title? Whatever it is, it should attract the eye first, by whatever means your extremely creative mind can devise. That will give the banner shape and logic.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    How big will it be when it's finally displayed? If it's smaller than we see in this thread, then I'd agree that it's too busy.

I'm also thinking it needs a focus, something that first attracts the eye. Right now it has a lot of similar size elements. What's the important message to communicate? The title? Whatever it is, it should attract the eye first, by whatever means your extremely creative mind can devise. That will give the banner shape and logic.
    actually, it would be that size. I know I know! Everyone's thinking :uhoh

I guess I wanted something that used the circuitry because it plays so well to my title, and my personality. I also wanted to showcase a few photos to show a wide variety and also make people go "that looks neat...what is that" (if they can't tell what the pic is). I dunno, I have a feeling that a good night's sleep will be in order.

However, any and all input is very much appreciated at this point. I have a bad habit of missing the obvious sometimes when it comes to design work like this. It's enough to drive someone to 1drink.gif

thanks Sid!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    ah, yes, thank you. I kept looking at it thinking "busy? hmmmm, color background w/ b&w pics?" I've made a note!

ok, here are 2 versions:

and another with the background inverted & the pics rearranged for what I consider to be a "better connection":
    32411896-L.jpg
    I like this version the best. (Good suggestion from tlphoto) I really like your creativity. You do see the world with an alternate viewpoint. From previous posts, I think the important factor here is how your clients will think of this banner. You are deffinitly in a nich market.

Keep up the good work.

Sam
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    I like the last one (inverted) the best. Very cool style.thumb.gif
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    I think most of the circuit boards that I've seen have a green color to them.

I hope you don't mind. If you do, I will delete it as soon as possible.

47849369.jpg

or this

47849581.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited August 17, 2005
    I'd like to see the circuit board more transparent. Barely visible.
    Is there a way to show some images that take you from left to right
    in a storybook fashion? Like a head shot to the eyes to the tree?

Like Sam says, your creativity is wonderful.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005

ok, here are 2 versions:

I like both of the lower opacity versions much better. I don't really have any other suggestions at the moment, but I'll let you know if I think of anything.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    It looks nice, and would do great on a homepage, but it's a bit *big* if it's going to be on all of your pages. I think it'd be too distracting from the pictures showing on your other pages. But that's just old fashioned me, who's trying to wrap his head around CSS, since the last time he did anything with websites he was working at the university and the internet still was not for the masses. HTML was hard enough to grasp and that's probalby why my header is just colored text. :) So may be I should just go back into my cave, and carve another look into stone.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2005
    Great idea, but I agree, it's too busy. The lower opacity ones are best in this series.

A few suggestions if you don't mind. This board is just too busy. Try another board that has less discrete components. Also, the PC Board is upside down. Just my observations.

I think the idea is wonderful and do agree that you should have a more central eye catcher.

I'm interested to see what you come up with in the end. I like ideas outside the box and this one is definitely outside the boxclap.gif.

Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    I guess I wanted something that used the circuitry because it plays so well to my title, and my personality.

then you missed the mark. imo.

the font or whatever you call the style of your letters/banner are way to nondigital. the words convey the thought before the image. its a jumble.

please resubmit.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2005
    amadeus wrote:
    then you missed the mark. imo.

the font or whatever you call the style of your letters/banner are way to nondigital. the words convey the thought before the image. its a jumble.

please resubmit.
    perhaps you could suggest a better font then? I'm still working on the banner image itself, but I have reasons for using the font the way I did. I'd like to figure out how to use the circuitry image in the font itself, that way I could go for a simpler, more neutral background (but not too neutral because then I could border on the boring and we musn't let that happen, Laughing.gif). :D

I experimented with the cyber-like and computer-esque fonts and all they reminded me off was a PC from the 80s that weighed more than my desk (ok, that's an exagerration, but you get the point), or an old video game. Hey, remember Pong? :lol

I like the first font example for it's rigidity in contrast to the spiraly font alternating with every letter because I like the juxtoposition. The words "Digital" and "Faerie" is a juxtoposition itself, and directly relates to my own sensibility of mechanic and organic. It encompasses a lot of me, not only in my musical tastes but in my artistic aesthetic as well. mwink.gif

I'm still working on the banner image itself and I've gotten a lot of great feedback from all of you. It is very much appreciated!
  • Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    juxaposition. is that like running the ball up the middle on 3rd and 20?

I don't know how you do any of this but-

digital conjurs up computer age. the matrix with the falling green digits nailed it dead on.

what about digital spelled out in letters composed of 1's and 0's.

thats what digital is 1's and 0's.

what about a girls face melted into the F and the rest of faerie wrapped around itself ala the old Roger Dean YES logo like on the cover of Close to the Edge.

Faerie conjurs up mystical impish feminity. You need to scrap the original plan and seperate the two more. Have them vertical on the left and right of the banner Digital left Faerie right.

The circuitry could melt into faerie type images somewhere in the middle.

Just use a diode...

This much I know. Your original plan doesn't work. Digital Faerie is way too catchy, it needs seperation and symilation. A masterstroke. Good luck.

the ostler stands with hands on his knees, come on mr feller crack it open if you please...
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 20, 2005

ok, here are 2 versions:

Cool idea and nice execution. clap.gifclap I agree with the others who prefer the lower opacity version. I keep thinking that this is just too big and the wrong shape to be a banner. I took the liberty of doing a quick hack in PS:

32799847-L.jpg

Just a suggestion. What do you think?

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2005
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Just a suggestion. What do you think?
    I believe the shape is much better and what I am currently working on. The image itself is going to be redone at this point though. I have to work on it. Thanks for looking!
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2005
    amadeus wrote:
    digital conjurs up computer age. the matrix with the falling green digits nailed it dead on.
    what about digital spelled out in letters composed of 1's and 0's.
    hmmm, the 1s and 0s, that's an interesting idea. I'll consider that in the continuing workup.
    amadeus wrote:
    what about a girls face melted into the F and the rest of faerie wrapped around itself ala the old Roger Dean YES logo like on the cover of Close to the Edge.
    this may be beyond my PS skills, rolleyes1.gif
    amadeus wrote:
    Faerie conjurs up mystical impish feminity. You need to scrap the original plan and seperate the two more. Have them vertical on the left and right of the banner Digital left Faerie right.
    this may not work with the more appropriate shape I'm working on, the letters may end up being too small, will have to see.
    amadeus wrote:
    The circuitry could melt into faerie type images somewhere in the middle.

Just use a diode...

This much I know. Your original plan doesn't work. Digital Faerie is way too catchy, it needs seperation and symilation. A masterstroke. Good luck.
    this could prove useful. I appreciate your compliment on "catchy" I like to think so, too. I've got a lot of work to do!! Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    I'd like to figure out how to use the circuitry image in the font itself,
    In Photoshop, select your text layer, goto layers, convert to path, voila, you now have a selection based upon your font, wich you can make either a fill or a mask of.

Enjoy,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2005
    XO-Studios wrote:
    In Photoshop, select your text layer, goto layers, convert to path, voila, you now have a selection based upon your font, wich you can make either a fill or a mask of.

Enjoy,

XO,
    :sweet you rock!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2005
    Simplifying things
    Well, here it is, the reworked version. I also have a version I'm working on to include links once I get my pages customized better.

This will be the actual size
    32929918-L.jpg

now, is it too small? It looks ok on my page though at this size and when I saved it for web in PS, it said it was 15K, that's good right? thanks for everyone's help so far!

also, here's the linked version (not linked as of yet, just the image)
    32933425-L.jpg
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2005
    I really like this last version.
    Simple and elegant and easy to view.
    I'm enjoying watching all of you get creative like this - gathering lots of ideas!

Thanks for sharing

ann
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 21, 2005
    I think the size will probably be fine, though it is hard to tell without seeing it in the context of a whole page. I sort of miss the pic overlaying the chip idea, which I thought was rather cool.

Cheers,