Options

Safety in Latin/South America?

rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited December 15, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
Can anyone give me some advice on keeping safe in Latin/South America?

Here's the trip details:

My dad and I decided we are going to go on an adventure in three weeks. He is going to drive from New York to Mexico City. Once I finish finals this semester, I am going to be flying from Boston to Mexico City, where he will be picking me up. Together, we will drive from Mexico City to Quito, Ecuador (or as far as we get in two weeks) After two weeks, I'll find an airport and fly back to Boston for the start of the next semester, and he will continue on to Ecuador.

What I'm worried most about, is my safety as well as my equipment's safety. At most, I will bring the d700 and two lenses. At the very least, I will bring the d70 and one sharp lens. Have any of you ever had an issue in Latin America? Keep in mind, that we don't stick to the touristy/resort areas -- we like to explore.

Any and all advice is much appreciated :thumb.

Thanks in advance!
website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    I would google for safety tips.....there are travel advisory pages on different consulates websites and also I think oin the CIA websites and probably on the homeland security websites......... Just saw a commercial on Mexico as a vacation spot then towards the end a lrge overlay...the Mexican govt is asking all americans to travel in groups not alone in Mexico........I have Mexican friends that go back to Mexico to visit family 3 or 4 times a year...and they will not drive......they fly in to nearest airport where they live and are picked up by family........

Good Luck on YOUR ADVENTURE

Edit...I googled Travel Advisories Central and south America ....hope this has some info you find helpful
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2010
    There is a state department warning about visiting Mexico.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2010
    Here is a little known secret. You want an adventure? You want snow, deserts, water, trees, oceans, mountains?

You might try the United States of America! It has it all, and much safer than any country you mentioned.

Sam
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 3, 2010
    You might want to check out this thread for some ideas. mwink.gifhttp://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=103223&highlight=viking
  • Options
    aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    I find most safety concerns about South America unfounded, that is if you use common sense and stay away from known danger spots. For instance, going to Mexico is probably not the best idea right now.
    I found the people of Peru extremely friendly and unimposing. I felt safer on the Streets of Lima than I ever did on the streets of Los Angeles and I loved exploring small towns, whereas some small towns in the US creep me out.
    I can only offer general wisdom. Someone else already mentioned that you should check the travel advisory on http://travel.state.gov for your intended destination. I must say though, that I always look for independent "non governmental" opinions as well.
    • Wealth attracts scum. This means thughs hang around known tourist spots.
    • Don't show off. Keep a low profile.
    • Twist the camera strap around your hand multiple times.
    • Be friendly to locals and treat them well. I get sick when I see how many people are condescending towards those who are less fortunate.
    • Remember that no photograph is worth dying for
    • Negotiate fares with cabbies before the ride. Let the hotel call them for you and negotiate. Leave the license number with the hotel.
    • Try to learn a few phrases of a language and make some friends.
    • Put your cash in multiple places.
    All of those make sense. Many countries like Peru have a huge staff of "Tourist Police". After I missed a connection once, I stepped out of a train station at night. A cop came, walked me to the cab and negotiated a rate for my destination. He even refused my tip, since he was an official.
    Since I arranged a custom trip in the country from the US, most things were just pickups and dropoffs anyways. The guys I used used all known and respected local providers, hotels, private guides, cabs and whatnot. I refused to go on a tour group, so I basically worked out a fully customized tour. Nonetheless, I left time for local exploration.
    If you are smart about it, there is no need to worry.
  • Options
    aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    ... the United States of America... has it all, and much safer than any country you mentioned.
    Sam
    eek7.gif
    I disagree.
    This great country has a lot to offer (not all) and is relatively safe, but its not the beginning and end of all things. Sometimes its worth keeping an open mind and looking beyond your own backyard.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2010
    I live near the mexican border
    Mexico was once my favorite destination, either for long trips into the interior, short trips to closer locations or even for day trips over to Tijuana or Ensenada.

However, with the raging drug wars, there is no way I would travel in Mexico these days. It makes no difference traveling in border areas or deeper into Mexico.

http://laht.com/article.asp?CategoryId=14091&ArticleId=353843

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/01/11/20100111drugs-mexico-deaths.html

I am not a an individual who gets frightened easily. I was a combat cameraman in Vietnam and faced danger on a daily basis (26 months In-Country). However, that was my job. I wasn't doing it for fun.
  • Options
    Firehouses of OhioFirehouses of Ohio Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2010
    agunther wrote: »
    eek7.gif
    I disagree.
    This great country has a lot to offer (not all) and is relatively safe, but its not the beginning and end of all things. Sometimes its worth keeping an open mind and looking beyond your own backyard.

I have a friend who is a very well known photographer whose son-in-law is from the lovely country of Mexico. Things are so safe there they have successfully relocated literally the entire family back to the good ole US of A to include his mother & father.

I'm about adventure & travel however having some prior military experience it's not worth your life. There are those who don't care anything about your money or possessions they will eliminate you on the singular issue of being from the US. You also might take a hard look at the latest body count there in country to include some new violence in Cancun which is normally pretty quiet.

Good Luck and Be Safe
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    One of the photographers I have studied with was living in Mexico City. They moved back to the US. I know a number of Mexican nationals who will not go home now because of the lack of safety. Even tourist spots like Acapulco and Ixtapa, once considered safe, are frought with gunbattles and tourists are in danger. As for the USA, I am very well travelled. I find it easy to say that many many areas of the USA rival some of the most scenic spots in the world. I am just back from Northern California and I can tell you that Monterey Bay, San Francisco, Mendocino County rival Australia/New Zealand. The North East Coast is equally as magnificient. Go to Cadillac Mountain. Go to the Continental Divide, Estes Park National Park in Colorado. New York City is just as beautiful and photogenic as Paris and London. My list is much longer.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    Destination wedding in Mexico - Is it safe?
    One of my clients wants me to photograph her wedding in Cabo, Mexico. Is it safe?

Is there anybody who has visited the place recently?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2010
    haha! I am wondering that too! When is yours? I am heading out there in May. From what I was told, bring wads of cash and be minimal with gear.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2010
    Cabo is pretty safe.
    Cabo is pretty safe but stick to all the tourist spots. Read the State Department's warnings.

If you are working there, get the proper documentation, permits, work visa's. Mexico is the very last place you want to get in trouble. The graybar hotel doesn't have many exits
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2010
    I was told getting a work visa means an official company in Mexico needs to send the paperwork for the visa, not the couple.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2010
    Ted, I don't know what you need. Call the Mexican Embassy. They will be able to tell you.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2010
    That is what the Mexican embassy told me when I went to ask about one.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com