Venus transit of Sun

BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
edited June 10, 2004 in Holy Macro
I snapped a few shots of Venus passing the Sun.
1Ds 200mm + x2 + x1.4 + solar screen.

Full story
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-02-06-venus-transit_x.htm

"On December 11, 2117, Venus will again pass in front of the Sun."
"The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières

Comments

• digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:

Full story
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-02-06-venus-transit_x.htm

Neat Shot!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    clap.gif Well done!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    Awesome!!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited June 8, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:

QUOTE]

Great shot!! - I am impressed with the clarity using multiple telextenders too.

Can you explain what filters you used to protect your eye and the camera sensors from damage from the sun? This is a very serious question. It is not a safe thing to look at the sun through a telephoto lens unless there is a very specific type of filter attached, is it not?

It is very important that people not try to photograph the sun with a telephoto lens without very specific equipment if they are using a Single Lens Reflex type camera where you look through the lens itself.

Using an Electronic viewfinder camera like the Sony 828 will not cause damage to your eye, but I am uncertain about the sensor being focused on the sun through a telphoto zoom lens.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    Filter
    The 1.8 200mm L has a large lens cover that is the same size as my 5 inch celestron Nextar5. I simply fitted the Solar Filter onto the end of the lens and taped it in place just in case it came loose.

The solar filter looks like a sheet of silver baking foil fitted into a plastic frame. Quite cheap from an astronomy shop about $50.00 or less. The only other filter I know of for the Sun is a Hydrogen Alpha filter which will give you colour results of staggering good quality at a price of $000's

Your quite right that you must never point a camera at the sun. I set up on two tripods and used a hand release to stop any camera shake.
    Between shots I covered the lens to stop any heat build up inside the camera or lens. Obtaining the sun through the viewfinder was a matter of searching in the right area and locking the camera in place.

The only time I would shoot the Sun without a filter is at sunrise or Sunset or as a guide when I can look at the Sun without squinting my eyes. Any other time is very very risky and you wont be shooting anything if your blind.

Paul.

pathfinder wrote:
    Bodwick wrote:

QUOTE]

Great shot!! - I am impressed with the clarity using multiple telextenders too.

Can you explain what filters you used to protect your eye and the camera sensors from damage from the sun? This is a very serious question. It is not a safe thing to look at the sun through a telephoto lens unless there is a very specific type of filter attached, is it not?

It is very important that people not try to photograph the sun with a telephoto lens without very specific equipment if they are using a Single Lens Reflex type camera where you look through the lens itself.

Using an Electronic viewfinder camera like the Sony 828 will not cause damage to your eye, but I am uncertain about the sensor being focused on the sun through a telphoto zoom lens.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."

• digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:

For those that missed it, the next transit will be June 6, 2012 and then not again until Dec. 11, 2117.

The Venus transit comes in pairs approx. 8 years apart, and then not again for about a century.

So for those of us (me) who missed this, we have another chance!
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    Nice shot! In fact, I liked it so much, I decided to make one of my own. No special filters or multipliers needed. thumb.gif

Only took about 60 seconds in photoshop. naughty.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    dammit
    digismile wrote:
    For those that missed it, the next transit will be June 6, 2012 and then not again until Dec. 11, 2117.

The Venus transit comes in pairs approx. 8 years apart, and then not again for about a century.

So for those of us (me) who missed this, we have another chance!

it so happens i'm busy that day.

crimony!
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    Only took about 60 seconds in photoshop. naughty.gif[/QUOTE]
    oh fish...
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    Ah my fishy friend..
    Yes but hold on what about some detail to your pic.....
    If you zoom into my image of Venus my fishy friend, you can see all the detail on the surface of the planet as well as a Russian planetary lander on it's final approach.eek7.gif

Next time I'll knock up a timelapsed slideshow through a hydrogen Alpha filter...rolleyes1.gif

Not the most spectacular picture in the World of Astrophotography. The Hubble shots are slightly better but as it is not possible to point Hubble at the Sun your stuck with my image of a Star and Venus .....

I await your PS results from the 'Man on the Moon' competition due soon... thumb.gif

Bod...
    PS...I still can't post in Advrider?

fish wrote:
    Nice shot! In fact, I liked it so much, I decided to make one of my own. No special filters or multipliers needed. thumb.gif

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    oh fish...
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:
    Yes but hold on what about some detail to your pic.....
    If you zoom into my image of Venus my fishy friend, you can see all the detail on the surface of the planet as well as a Russian planetary lander on it's final approach.eek7.gif
    details shmetails. Looks like a black dot on a white dot to me. :lol
    Bod...
    PS...I still can't post in Advrider?
    You're listed as users awaiting email confirmation. Did you change your email address? I just resent the activation codes to your hotmail address. Try again. Shoot me a PM if you still have trouble.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    oh fish...[/QUOTE]
    Very cool!!!
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    oh fish...
    Very cool!!![/QUOTE]could'nt resist greaper... hope you are not offended :D
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2004
    You pulled my leg
    lynnma wrote:
    Very cool!!!
    could'nt resist greaper... hope you are not offended :D[/QUOTE]
    Oh My God! I can be a little slow sometimes. As I read through this thread I didn't notice Fishes little comment about 60 seconds in Photoshop. You just can't trust digital photography. You never know what's real and what isn't. You guys are soooooo funny! rolleyes1.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog