Options

I desperately need help!!!

Stacey LStacey L Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
edited August 22, 2005 in Finishing School
I am having major problems loading my JPEG & TIFF images from my Sony 717 to my computer. It seems my computer is only able to read a few of the 200 I've taken from my F: I tried using AdobePhotoshop Starter edition, Picasa 2, Windows IE and Windows Fax and Picture Viewer...no luck. I've had this camera for about 3 years now and I've always used my USB1 port (USB2 ports weren't installed with computers when mine was made) and I've never had a problem. Can anyone please help? There's some potential to make some $$$ of off these trapped images in my camera.

If this isn't the right forum, I'm sorry. Please move this thread where it needs to go.

Thanks,
Stacey
Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    Stacey L wrote:
    I am having major problems loading my JPEG & TIFF images from my Sony 717 to my computer. It seems my computer is only able to read a few of the 200 I've taken from my F: I tried using AdobePhotoshop Starter edition, Picasa 2, Windows IE and Windows Fax and Picture Viewer...no luck. I've had this camera for about 3 years now and I've always used my USB1 port (USB2 ports weren't installed with computers when mine was made) and I've never had a problem. Can anyone please help? There's some potential to make some $$$ of off these trapped images in my camera.

If this isn't the right forum, I'm sorry. Please move this thread where it needs to go.

Thanks,
    Stacey

do you have a memory stick reader? they are only about $10 at stores like circuit city. you simply plug the reader into your usb drive, and then use explorer to copy the files from the stick to your harddrive.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    If its only able to read a few... then im assuming it (being the card) has crashed...happened to me once.

I took it to tricky dickys (australian electronics store) & a 16 yeard old kid recovered most (95%) of it on the spot in one of the computers on display & replaced the card as i had bought it from them.

Good Luck & show us the shots when you get them.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2005
    I don't have a memory card reader and this memory stick is a 1gb that I bought from Best Buy. Since I didn't keep the receipt and it's been more than 30 days since I bought it...I'm getting a little afraid. Will the reader still be able to get the data off of my stick if indeed it is bad?

Humungus wrote:
    If its only able to read a few... then im assuming it (being the card) has crashed...happened to me once.

I took it to tricky dickys (australian electronics store) & a 16 yeard old kid recovered most (95%) of it on the spot in one of the computers on display & replaced the card as i had bought it from them.

Good Luck & show us the shots when you get them.
    Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2005
    Stacey L wrote:
    I don't have a memory card reader and this memory stick is a 1gb that I bought from Best Buy. Since I didn't keep the receipt and it's been more than 30 days since I bought it...I'm getting a little afraid. Will the reader still be able to get the data off of my stick if indeed it is bad?

if the stick is corrupted, google is your friend. there are many free / shareware progrs that will rescue files off of your stick.

go to best buy or circuit city and get a mem stick reader, just to be sure that it isn't camera related... if you still cannot read the stick, then the stick's got a problem and you'll need to use file rescue software or take it to someone who has such software.

good luck!
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2005
    When I tried to copy a file manually, I get a file coying "parameter is incorrect" error message. ne_nau.gif

I'm clueless.
    andy wrote:
    if the stick is corrupted, google is your friend. there are many free / shareware progrs that will rescue files off of your stick.

go to best buy or circuit city and get a mem stick reader, just to be sure that it isn't camera related... if you still cannot read the stick, then the stick's got a problem and you'll need to use file rescue software or take it to someone who has such software.

good luck!
    Stacey

• Options
    edited August 20, 2005
    Are you aware & able to download & run a rescue prog from the net to save the photos ?

If not then you will have to find somewhere that can do it for you.

I would go & buy a carton of beer (considered currency here) & walk into an electronics store & drop it on the counter & ask for for some help....

I say that because they wont have a misc code on their sales comp for 'help customer for 5 mins' but a carton of beer has a universal code
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2005
    I want to thank you all so much for helping me out this past weekend. Google is my friend and so are you all. I found this free file recovery program: http://www.artplus.hr/adapps/eng/dpr.htm. It restored ALL of my pictures and then the accompanying download "Memory card safe eraser" fixed my corrupted memory stick. All I had to do was format it after the app wiped it clean.
    Best Buy was a bust, though, Hummungus. I called and told them I had a bad stick and I had my receipt, etc. But, the warranty (30 days) had expired and I was basically out of luck.

Thanks,

Humungus wrote:
    Are you aware & able to download & run a rescue prog from the net to save the photos ?

If not then you will have to find somewhere that can do it for you.

I would go & buy a carton of beer (considered currency here) & walk into an electronics store & drop it on the counter & ask for for some help....

I say that because they wont have a misc code on their sales comp for 'help customer for 5 mins' but a carton of beer has a universal code
    Stacey

• Options
    edited August 22, 2005
    Stacey L wrote:
    Best Buy was a bust, though, Hummungus. I called and told them I had a bad stick and I had my receipt, etc. But, the warranty (30 days) had expired and I was basically out of luck.

Thanks,
    Thats great news stacey...now show us what you got..area 51 ? Bigfoot ? Andy walking straight past a starbucks & B&H.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited August 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thats great news stacey...now show us what you got..area 51 ? Bigfoot ? Andy walking straight past a starbucks & B&H.
    Sheesh! Gus, as just about everyone knows, the Lepton Particle Screens surrounding what used to be Area 51 (Groom Lake) disallow photographs from being developed, either film or digital, unless one has the special aluminized and properly tuned filters in front of their lenses. rolleyes1.gif

Hehehe. Bigfoot. Don't get me started.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky