Options

IMAC vs Mac Book Pro

Karenl39Karenl39 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited January 2, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
I am a photographer and have been using a Dell that I hate to edit my pictures. I have been completely unable to calibrate the monitor to match my labs with this computer. Its an all in one and has a glossy screen. I have also been using a calibration tool for years to try to get the computer to match the lab, but it fails.

I am going to buy either an Imac or Mac Book Pro.

I am wondering what your thoughts are?

I have an old Dell laptop notebook that I use to project the images on a screen for my customers to view so I am not sure that I need a laptop.

Thanks for your input,

Karen

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    First of all are you sure you are calibrating correctly? You don't calibrate to match a lab, and are you certain the lab isn't auto-correcting out from under you?

Secondly whether you want an iMac or a Mac Book Pro depends more on if you need the portability than anything. The iMac will be faster, for less money, and have a larger screen.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Karenl39Karenl39 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    mercphoto wrote: »
    First of all are you sure you are calibrating correctly? You don't calibrate to match a lab, and are you certain the lab isn't auto-correcting out from under you?

Secondly whether you want an iMac or a Mac Book Pro depends more on if you need the portability than anything. The iMac will be faster, for less money, and have a larger screen.

Yes, I am calibrating correctly and no the lab is not auto correcting for me. I have the X Rite eye one and it is the computer because it is unable to be calibrated. I have a Dell XPS all in one.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    I have both mac book pro which I started with..then graduated to a imac. The imac is a much better value wrt to processor and memory. But the biggest advnatage of the imac is the screen. It truly rocks. You can edit at near 100% crop due to the size.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    Karenl39 wrote: »
    Yes, I am calibrating correctly and no the lab is not auto correcting for me. I have the X Rite eye one and it is the computer because it is unable to be calibrated. I have a Dell XPS all in one.

The screens on those XPS All-In-One's are not anywhere the same quality as the iMAC. The XPS screen uses a 6bit "TN" TFT LCD panel. The new iMac's use 8bit IPS TFT LCD panels.

I'm quite surprised you could not get the Xrite i1 to calibrate it as although not the best, the screens are usable. There must be something interfering with the Xrite software. I know ATi's Catalyst software has certain settings which will cause the i1 to operate in an unusual manner.

Can you tell us more? What OS on the XPS? What GPU in your XPS?

• Options
    dubaifordubaifor Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    Defo an Imac unless you worked a lot on location....
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2010
    I agree, go iMac before MBP as the MBP screens are not a whole lot better than those Dell All-in-Ones. The MBP's also use a 6bit TN panel like the Dells', albeit a slightly better quality unit.

If you want a laptop with a very nice screen, and are prepared to pay for it, look to the HP EliteBook laptops - specifically the 8540w and the 8740w with the "Dreamcolor" screens. The Dreamcolor screens use an IPS TFT panel and claim to be 10bit (imho these are pseudo 10bit - FRC'd and dithered 8bit's). The 8740w also offers an RGB-LED wide gamut back light.

I'm predicting you will see a MBP with one of these 15" or 17" panels within the year. I figure HP has some kind of exclusivity supply agreement for a period of time.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/470406-official-hp-elitebook-8740w-owners-lounge-220.html#post6467969.

• Options
    LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    Unless you need portable, the iMac rocks. I have the quad core, 27 inch screen and it is great to edit images on or do other work.
  • Options
    augustmelodyaugustmelody Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2010
    Definitely go with the iMac. That is what we worked on in school for all of my photo and design classes and it rocks. I have an old G4 powerbook that I use on location when necessary, and at home I'm on a Mac Mini. I do like it, but I wish I had gone with the iMac.
  • Options
    RagonRagon Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    I just got the iMac 27 i7 and it's AMAZING!!! I recommend this to anyone that is doing photography and/or design.
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    I've a macbook pro that I set up at my desk - if you have no need for portabilty, get the iMac!
    //Leah
  • Options
    HoodahmahnHoodahmahn Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    The iMac is without a doubt the best for price and function. If you need a portable workshop, then the Macbook Pro is your choice - but you'll pay for it.

I just replaced my 24" iMac with a 27" iMac and it is super sweet both for speed and editing capabilities. Of course, Photoshop CS5 64bit and 16GB of RAM is extremely handy. Tip: Buy your RAM upgrade through Crucial and save a BOAT LOAD! :)
    _________
    http://ericmontgomery.smugmug.com/

Camera

Canon Powershot G6

Technology
     iMac 27" | 2.93Ghz Quad-Core Intel i7 | 16GB 1333 DDR3 | SL 10.6.5
     iPhone 4 | 16GB | iOS 4.2.1
     iPad | 16GB | iOS 4.2.1
    ...and a plethora of other computers and OSs