Options

Lunar Eclipse 12/20

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited December 22, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
1133476189_gRABN-L.jpg

1133476306_mriLk-L.jpg

Stood out on my deck last night to get these. It was sub zero and I really didn't plan on going out to take shots but then thought..why not?! So in my pj's I grabbed my camera and put on my snow boots, coat, hat and gloves. I ended up taking the gloves off and on so I could reajust my settings. Once the stinging in my face stopped...I decided I better get inside to warm up. So I didn't get quite the complete eclipse. First time shooting an eclipse and might be my last!

The first one was shot with my 55-200mm sigma lens and I cropped the picture. The second one was shot with my 200-500mm tameron lens and no cropping was done.:D

Comments

• Options
    helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Some more great eclipse photos. I love the last one. Good job. :)
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    I really like the 2nd shot. Very nice job
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Bravo, Jag!! clap.gif

The 2nd shot is awesome!! Unfortunately, we're having some distinctly un-San Diego weather here so it's nice to see that someone was able to get out and capture it!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Great shots - I'm totally jealous that you got the solstice/total lunar eclipse - only one in the past 168 years, reportedly - snowing here in Massachusetts - but secretly glad I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night to catch this event.

Lovely.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Good job, Joyce. That second one is really good. clap.gif We had clouds.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 21, 2010
    Total overcast for me too!

I must have been fantastic to see.

Nice job with the Tamron 200-500 lens. W/O IS, that is a very good capture!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    Thanks all! The first one was taken just before 10pm and the second one was an hour later. I stood out there almost the whole hour. I had to come in for lenses and flashlights. I am suprized that I didn't get frostbite!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    JAG wrote: »
    I am suprized that I didn't get frostbite!

I am surprised too! I was across town doing somewhat the same thing, though I got all brilliant and set up the remote trigger so all I had to do was step outside and push a button... haha!

It was coooold. But gorgeous!iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    I am surprised too! I was across town doing somewhat the same thing, though I got all brilliant and set up the remote trigger so all I had to do was step outside and push a button... haha!

Thank you Heather! Unfortunately Nikon didn't put in a remote for the D300's and had I thought about it I would have used my cheaper D50 that has a wireless built in. ne_nau.gif Your shot looked pretty cool too!
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    JAG wrote: »
    Thanks all! The first one was taken just before 10pm and the second one was an hour later. I stood out there almost the whole hour. I had to come in for lenses and flashlights. I am suprized that I didn't get frostbite!

So, imagine me, dressed in a similar fashion.....standing outside at 1:30 am....thru 3 am... And it was way below freezing here in central VA ( wouldn't look, didn't want to knowrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif) I had to keep coming inside to thaw my fingers and toes...and camera!!!

Here is a link to the gallery http://rteest42.smugmug.com/PortfolioImages-To-Own/Lunar/2010-Lunar-Eclipse/15157030_sm6xD

.....the moon was directly overhead...really not the best shooting angle..straight up....and the wind started moving the tripod...once I hit SECONDS in exposure, and one or two could see star trails, I gave up....

Some day, I will have a really long lenses and good location to do something like this!!! But it was fun...lonely, but fun...
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010

Anyway, isn't Alaska closer to the moon?:D
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    clap.gif WELL DONE
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    sara505 wrote: »
    Anyway, isn't Alaska closer to the moon?:D

lol3.gif

Fantastic pics! I don't think I could have gotten anything nearly this good.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 21, 2010
    That second shot is just stellar...ooops, I mean lunar rolleyes1.gif. Well done. thumb.gif
  • Options
    davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    I love shot number 2!!!! That luminescent glow-- like a pearl! Very good capture.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Very nice work thumb.gif
    Turns out I did mine very similar to yours :D Not sure how that happened
    but there it is. mwink.gif
    It is pretty cool to see the moons orientation in relation to the viewer and
    gear used to acquire the images.
    Michael
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Really nice and well worth braving the cold :D
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    rteest42 wrote: »
    So, imagine me, dressed in a similar fashion.....standing outside at 1:30 am....thru 3 am... And it was way below freezing here in central VA ( wouldn't look, didn't want to knowrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif) I had to keep coming inside to thaw my fingers and toes...and camera!!!

Here is a link to the gallery http://rteest42.smugmug.com/PortfolioImages-To-Own/Lunar/2010-Lunar-Eclipse/15157030_sm6xD

.....the moon was directly overhead...really not the best shooting angle..straight up....and the wind started moving the tripod...once I hit SECONDS in exposure, and one or two could see star trails, I gave up....

Some day, I will have a really long lenses and good location to do something like this!!! But it was fun...lonely, but fun...

Nice work Trish! It took me the hole time to figure out how to get the copper color that I was seeing with my eye...to show up in the picture. I went from my first attempts looking like the first image with an iso of 200 and the aperature wide open while the speed was rather quick. But as the light started to dwindle on the moon itself, I had to up the iso. Eventually I discovered that I started getting the copper color the hirer this iso..which would make sense because I needed more light to reach the sensor.

Thank you all for your comments! I found this a fun little project as its a one of a kind opportunity!:D
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    #2 is magnificent, Joyce! I'm glad you made the effort so we who were in clouds could enjoy the eclipse.....thanks for sharing.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Big grins Grasonville, MDPosts: 0 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    great shots
    I braved the cold. Took several with my 70-300mm VR on a tripod. I did forget to up the ISO and shorten the shutter due to moon movement, so I lost more than I got, but I did get a few.

15159592_EW76n#1133770558_jiuYJ-XL-LB

One even submitted to the local news station.