Options

Photobook company?

mrfizzedmrfizzed Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
edited December 26, 2010 in Weddings
Can you guys recommend the company slash website you use to make your photobooks? I have been using blurb but am not happy with them and would like to do some better quality books (mayube hard pages etc) even if it costs a bit (stress bit) more. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    I use Miller's Lab (www.millerslab.com) for all of my printing. Albums, books, prints.. They're amazing. Affordable. Fast. And they overnight ship for free. And no, I'm not paid to say that rolleyes1.gif
    Jer
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    Black River Imaging (www.blackriverimaging.com)
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    Black River, Pounds Photo Labs, Asuka.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    White House Custom Color
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Affordable - Asuka
    The best - Graphi
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    None of you use Mpix? Is Mpix overrated? More aimed at the prosumer than the pros? Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    None of you use Mpix? Is Mpix overrated? More aimed at the prosumer than the pros? Thanks

Mpix is the consumer section of Millers - which is who I use.
    Jer
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    I like BRI. I use the press printed books for my boudoir and portrait albums. Their quality is excellent, won't break the bank, and one of my photographer friends actually thought they were photographic prints (she saw the book with the linen paper.)

Here's an example of their canvas covers on a 10 inch album:
    1135118475_oX6kV-L.jpg

Example of paper thickness:
    1135118578_Bpa8H-L.jpg

Example of linen paper (top) vs regular smooth paper (bottom left):
    1118452231_sRh2Q-L.jpg

You can see above that there is a black seam in the middle where the left and the right spreads meet - but you can also see in the second photo that it is really not that noticeable even with a panorama. The pages lay flat and are thicker than magazine pages.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010

Mpix is the consumer section of Millers - which is who I use.

I use Mpix - PRO........simply because I have ran my business without a tax number (use SS since it is sole proprietor for over 30 yrs) and Millers refused me an account.....but Mpix Pro had no qualms...plus one lab is just down the road from me, and i told them should they F*** up an order i have no probs actually knocking on their door in person.......they said welcome to the family............ My prints are almost exactly as I view them on my monitor in FF or Photoshop....no probs as of yet.................

I do also use a local pro lab ........ Douglas Photographic Imaging ...... but here lately there lead time has just been way too long........they do not do books tho.....unless it is for Paul Bowens :Drolleyes1.gif then it is just the design not printing and binding.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I use Mpix - PRO........simply because I have ran my business without a tax number (use SS since it is sole proprietor for over 30 yrs) and Millers refused me an account.....

I use my ss number as a sole proprietor and millers accepted me... Perhaps you refused to give it to them? headscratch.gif
    Jer
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    I used blurb for one of my friends weddings, and I think it turned out OK. What was your issue with them? Limited format choices, quality, or service?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    regionweddingsregionweddings Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    I also use Blurb, but do my own designs and not their templates. I also always take the premium paper and custom logo upgrade. I had only one issue all last year out of many books. The couple was looking through it and excited, happy and ready to take it home until I pointed out that their entire ceremony was missing from the book!! Somehow they missed that!!! I returned the book to Blurb who issued me a new one. Since it was only one incident, I didn't hold it against them. They also shipped overnight to me for no charge. The couple was very understanding.

I had this happen once with an Apple book and they just printed a new one without any return at all. That is the only negative I had with Blurb. They wanted proof of the missing pages.

There is a lab a few miles from me that unfortunately do not do coffee table style books that I offer, but do the old school variety. They are a great lab called Burrell Colour Imaging - been around for 30 years. I highly recommend them.
  • Options
    regionweddingsregionweddings Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    In regards to that last post, when I say "my own designs", I'm referring to Graphic Authority templates that I customize. Here are a few example pages of my wedding album pages using GA.