N IL and S WI

PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
edited December 27, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm going to have a few days between business meetings in Chicago and the start of AirVenture in Oshkosh, WI.

I'm looking for recomendations for photo locations / ideas (broadly) along the route between. I have four days.

Cheers

Comments

• PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Pittspilot wrote:
    I'm going to have a few days between business meetings in Chicago and the start of AirVenture in Oshkosh, WI.

I'm looking for recomendations for photo locations / ideas (broadly) along the route between. I have four days.

Cheers

So nothing at all in WI huh?

Cheers
  • jnash67jnash67 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 2, 2008
    Milwaukee lake front/downtown
    If Milwaukee is not to far out of your way, it is a great town with lots and lots of photo ops. The downtown is full of photo ops, as well as the lake front. On the south side of town is a place calles Leon's Frozen Custard. It is a neon dream at night. It is a 50's style place that never has changed. http://www.foodspot.com/leons/ In fact, they have the BEST FROZEN CUSTARD in the world. And it's reasonable, so get two cones;)
    Oh, back to photography :) You can contact this camera store in Milwaukee for photo ideas as well-http://www.artscameras.com/
    Have fun!!!

Pittspilot wrote:

Cheers
  • petepicspetepics Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Since you are in town on business, I'll presume you are staying downtown and will therefore skip the "planetarium, bean, Sears tower, Millenium Park, Navy Pier, etc.", suggestions since they will be self evident. Before you head north, try to get out into the neighborhoods. Take a trip on the CTA Red Line. It runs north and south through much of the city and is elevated above the street for most of its run. Hop off when you see something interesting. Halsted Street parallels much of the same route and will take you through a diverse sampling of Chicago's neighborhoods. Drive to 18th and Blue Island Ave. Get out of the car. You'll be in the heart of the Pilsen neighborhood, the epicenter of the Mexican American community. Pilsen has some of the best building murals I've ever seen. There is a Arts center at 18th and B.I that may be able to direct you. Much of Pilsen is virtually unchanged architecturally from the way it was in the early 20th century. Wrigleyville, Bucktown/Wicker Park, and Andersonville are also good neighborhoods for street photography.

When you decide to head up to Wisconsin be aware that virtually the entire highway along your route is under construction. As an alternative, plan a route that hugs the lakeshore. (essentially; Lake Shore Drive, then Sheridan Rd., then Green Bay Rd.) Virtually every town along this route will have some park land adjacent to the lake. This is especially true of towns that have harbors. You will run into Illinois Beach State Park just before you hit the Wisconsin border. Lots of birding opportunities there. When you get to Kenosha, ask for directions to the Brat Stop. The food ids only passable, but its a tradition :)

You didn't mention any particular interests, so I just rambled on. Would be happy to point you where you want to go (photographically).

When you're in town PM me here. If I'm not otherwise engaged, I might be able to get you out on the lake.
    Pete
    I always wanted to grow up and be a fireman. But now I know you can't do both. http://www.petepics.smugmug.com
    edited June 15, 2008
    petepics wrote:
    Since you are in town on business, I'll presume you are staying downtown and will therefore skip the "planetarium, bean, Sears tower, Millenium Park, Navy Pier, etc.", suggestions since they will be self evident. Before you head north, try to get out into the neighborhoods. Take a trip on the CTA Red Line. It runs north and south through much of the city and is elevated above the street for most of its run. Hop off when you see something interesting. Halsted Street parallels much of the same route and will take you through a diverse sampling of Chicago's neighborhoods. Drive to 18th and Blue Island Ave. Get out of the car. You'll be in the heart of the Pilsen neighborhood, the epicenter of the Mexican American community. Pilsen has some of the best building murals I've ever seen. There is a Arts center at 18th and B.I that may be able to direct you. Much of Pilsen is virtually unchanged architecturally from the way it was in the early 20th century. Wrigleyville, Bucktown/Wicker Park, and Andersonville are also good neighborhoods for street photography.

When you decide to head up to Wisconsin be aware that virtually the entire highway along your route is under construction. As an alternative, plan a route that hugs the lakeshore. (essentially; Lake Shore Drive, then Sheridan Rd., then Green Bay Rd.) Virtually every town along this route will have some park land adjacent to the lake. This is especially true of towns that have harbors. You will run into Illinois Beach State Park just before you hit the Wisconsin border. Lots of birding opportunities there. When you get to Kenosha, ask for directions to the Brat Stop. The food ids only passable, but its a tradition :)

You didn't mention any particular interests, so I just rambled on. Would be happy to point you where you want to go (photographically).

When you're in town PM me here. If I'm not otherwise engaged, I might be able to get you out on the lake.

Thanks for all that! I know the downtown area reasonably, but not the burbs.... Great suggestions.

I'll do a bit in town then I'm looking to head out to small towns and the 'real mid-west' Form elsewhere I've had a bunch of suggestions w and N or Madison, so if the devastation is somewhat subsided I might head out there.

It may be that they are untenable, as it is only five weeks away and the floods look awful. We shall see.

Thanks again

Graham
  • ktdidktdid Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Downtown Racine is nice, and the harbor is beautiful. You can take 4th Street (I believe it's 4th) down to the causeway to the lake--some nice vantage points there. You can also go across the Main Street Bridge and go down to the lake north of the river (take Barker Street down to the lake--there's North Beach on the left and the Racine Yacht Club right on the water). You'll see the North Point Lighthouse--it's about a mile or so north--that's worth shooting, IMHO.

There are plenty of great restaurants in Racine as well--Main Street and 6th Street are the two main shopping/eating areas.

If you're looking for more nature-y stuff, check out Petrifying Springs Park in Kenosha--nice trails and such.

The food at the Brat Stop is indeed questionable (Hwy. 50 and I94...that's where my husband got his undergrad, btw :D )...if you stop in Kenosha you might want to stop at The Spot or Ron's Place. Mmm...Ron's Place...
  • ktdidktdid Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Oh, and Saturday, July 19 is the start of the Hook Race (Racine to Marinette-Menomonee) as well as the Mac Race (Chicago to Mackinac Island). If you are in Chicago at that point, you may want to check out the start of the race--always exciting stuff.
    edited June 17, 2008
    ktdid wrote:
    Oh, and Saturday, July 19 is the start of the Hook Race (Racine to Marinette-Menomonee) as well as the Mac Race (Chicago to Mackinac Island). If you are in Chicago at that point, you may want to check out the start of the race--always exciting stuff.

Thanks!
  • flownmuseflownmuse Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    EAA should yield some interesting shots, if you are going to attend.

I see that Leon's was already mentioned!

Also try the Paine Art Center:

http://www.thepaine.org/

You can get onto the Larsen Trail between HWY 41 and Riverside Cemetery, don't really remember the directions, but any nearby gas station could tell you:

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/sna/sna155.htm

Menominee Park on Lake Winnebago can also be quite scenic.

Have fun!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 27, 2010
    Ares,
    First of all welcome to Dgrin. I see this is your first post. Also, I guess you didn't realize that the post above yours is 2 1/2 years old. I figure he already went on his trip.rolleyes1.gif