Options

Bridal Shows

regionweddingsregionweddings Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited December 28, 2010 in Weddings
I have my first bridal show coming up at the end of January and I'm looking for tips and advice. Here is my game plan so far...

I will be armed with a few sample books, gallery wraps, 8x10 portfolios, etc. Will have plenty of postcards + brochures too.

I'm also planning to raffle off my <a href="http://www.regionweddings.com/wedding-photo-gallery/chicago-sessions-classic-black-and-white-engagement-photos/">Chicago Sessions engagement package</a> and announce the winner on my website. The goal here is to get contact info into my little raffle box and encourage folks to go to my site that evening to see who the winner is.

I don't plan on getting a booking right there, but bringing some contracts anyway.

It's certainly an expensive endeavor so I hope some things come out of it. If you have any tips or experiences to share, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Ok, This is the formula I have used and it works gangbusters.

Light the stand.

Pump in a 500W flood from the front and both sides aiming at the opposite wall. Put some 150w or whatever you have there spots to highlight main prints especially the one on the back wall which should be your biggest, 60x40 MINIMUM. All other prints should be no smaller than 20x30". Bigger is better. On the back wall do your main pic, a couple of verticles either end and a large sign with your promo offer under the main shot. On the sides go 3 prints across and 2 underneath between the 2.
    Don't overcrowd, don't have too much blank space. It Dosen't seel despite the common misconceptions.

Run the wireing for the lights first so you can cover it with the fabric so it can't be noticed. Put powerboards on the top edge of the stand. If you have a power allocation, steal some from the stands to the side and behind you as most people only use a couple of spots that come with the stand setup.

If you have got the normal 9x9 stand, put a counter across the front leaving only enough room for you to enter and exit and make it at a good height so people can look at a couple of sample albums without bending.

Cover the stand and the counter in fabric. If you go to a fabric outlet you can get "bolt ends" cheap. they are the last few meters of material on the roll.

It is essential that you don't have the grey/ blue carpet that everyone else will use. Make the stand different. I like to use black on the top with a red strip on the bottom, maybe 24" wide as thats what a lot of fabric rolls are width wise. roll the fabric out in one long piece starting at one front corner, across the back and finish on the other front corner. Start at the top and use a hand held staple gun to tack it to the felt walls.

Put up a BIIIIG print or banner above your stand and put a spotlight on that too. I use a couple of long metal curtain rails or some thick PVC conduit.
    I get a huge inkjet print made with a likker shot and my company name on it like a big billboard. Put the banner on a length of large dowel rod, put some light chain on the ends with screws and attach them to the conduit rails. lean them up against the back all of the stand and loosley secure them with some electrical saddle clamps. With a friend, slide the poles up the clamps as high as you can get and then secure up the saddle clamps to hold it there. You should now have a sign/ banner at least 25ft above your stand that will be seen from anywhere. Face it towards the direction of the entry doors or where people will mainly come from. If you have to attach it to the sides of the stand, no probs.

Next thing is have a slide show running. Prefrably 3. Put them to Boppy/ bassy chick music. Turn the bass up and the sound down so the Bass carries but you can still have a conversation with people on the stand.
    The Lighting and the sound are the bait to pull people in and it will pull people in droves. Don't go crazy on screen size. I like to use nothing over a 22" monitor because the people then have to stand close and can watch it while filling in forms etc and you get a chance to talk to them.

Play the Sshow non stop. the music and the bright lights along with your sign will draw people in from all over. I have laughed to myself so many times when I booked a cheap stand at a show right up the back and then when I struck up a conversation with people they told me they walked in the soor and straight up to my stand as it was crowded at the front and my sign and the lights and music looked interesting.
    They usually go round twince anyway so you never loose people by being up the back.

Once you have the people at the stand, slow them down.
    Have no more than 2 albums on display. Have a wide mouthed bowl or plastic fish tank full of your business cards. Have a jar of wrapped sweets and buy a 20 pound economy bag to keep it topped up.

Have a competition entry form for them to fill in with their email, home address, phone nO. etc. Make the form a questionaire. Find out what people like about your work or whatever else can be helpful to your marketing.
    I usually have 3-4 different forms so I can ask a bunch of questions but each form only has 4 questions so they don't stand there too long filling the things out.
    Don't get pedantic about the forms, print them yourself on an inkjet printer or photocopier and make them simple and quick to fill out.
    The forms are the real value in these shows because you can follow up a huge amount of clients later.

Pencil in a bunch of fake appointments in your diary in PENCIL before the show. When people want to make a time to come see you in the studio, your diary looks " healthy" and your nice and busy. When they want a time with a fake booking written in, no probs, those "people" moved their appointment and you forgot to change it. Write plenty of appointment in at times you know people don't want, IE first thing in the morning etc. Write the real bookings in pen.

Have a show special offer. Wall print engagement portrait, free Family sitting for BOTH families, whatever. Things you can make more money from such as a family sitting they will buy prints from is best.
    Don't be scared to vary the offer from day to day. This allows you to test the best offer.
    If you have printed material you hand out, have the offer printed seperately then insert it into your brochure so the offer can be changed and not date your main material.

Everyone that fills in a form Subequently wins a " runners up prize" which of course entails them having to book you to get it such as a wall print etc.
    For the winner, I select someone over the course of the show. A lot of people will be tyre kickers and fill in the entry form and as they hand it to you say " Whats this for anyway". Others will stand there salivating, asking questions and may tell you that they love the work but your out of their price range. You may even spot them coming back and having another drool from afar. There's my winner. Now the morals police can rant and rave all they want, I couldn't care less, but If I'm going to give someone a prize, I'm going to give it to someone who will really appreciate it and be happy to get it.

I also have 2 entry boxes that are under the counter and I put the forms in there. this way they have to hand them to you so you can strike up a conversation and also to sort the entries from those that are the real potentials and the others that are a bridesmaid or mother that are just what I call a " fillngo".... Fill in any entry for they come across and go without having a clue what they just filled in.

DO NOT HAVE A PRICELIST.

Give prices out ( verbally) to those who ask, give people a price range and give that out freely, but don't have a printed price list. It's shooting yourself in the foot.

Firstly , they will go compare your prices and everyone elses and make their decision on numbers not the work itself or the value thereof.
    Secondly, you want hem to come see you in your studio so you can do a proper sales presentation and if they already have the prices, that removes an important factor for coming in to see you.

IF someone asks prices, get a few quick details, Where, how long, how many etc and then give a ball park figure. Explain there are options and and variables according to what will serve their needs best and you don't have time to go through them all here and now but yuo will make a an appointment for them to come see you . When would be better, day or evening?

If you feel you have to give price lists, still don't, just tell the people the printers stuffed up and sent them to the wrong place, mixed up the prices... otherwise let you down so you have an excuse as to why you don't have them and can elicit some rapport and sympathy along the way.
    It's important not to appear to hide your prices which is why you will give them verbally or write a price RANGE on your brouchure or card but Not give out specifics they can compare you to other shooters. You book on your personality and work before price anyway so it is NOT important as long as you are in their budget and you can ask them that straight out.

" what was your budget for Photography?" Great, our prices range from ( Middle of your quoted budget) to ( 25% above) so we can help you out no problem. Would a day or eventing suit you better to come to the studio so we can discuss what your looking for and I can give you some firm figures?"

If you give price lists out you will hurt your booking rate severly. It's an amateur mistake made by people who are ignorant in the fields of sales, marketing and business. You don't need to do that and the only people that will insist are basing their decision on price alone and you don't want those clients.

After the show, DON"T answer your phone for at least the next day. Let it go to message bank.
    If you talk to someone and someone else is trying to ring, they might ring someone else and make an appointment before they ring back and if they see and book that person.... your SOL. If they ring 2-3 times and your engaged, your really lowering your chances.
    Of course if they leave a message, you automatically have their contact details to ring back.

If you have a second line, wait a while and then get back to them on the other line. IF you do the show right, your phone should ring almost non stop for 2 days and then very regularly for up to the end of the week. Don't blow those people off by not being able to get through.

The thing with these shows it to put your professional marketing hat on and not be like another one of the other 50 photographers there that really have no clue what they are doing and think handing out pricelists is what they have to do and and all the other things I see shooters do that make me laugh and cringe at the same time.

You take control of your clients, don't let them make you jusp hoops or your setting the entire transaction up for trouble further down the line.

Good luck with it!
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2010
    @Glort Wow, thanks for such a lengthly and detailed response!! Much appreciated!!!

I'm currently ordering some large wraps for display purposes. However, I only went 24x30, but I will consider the super large you suggest. Yes, I definitely want to get some lighting in there. I probably will not become the heavenly gates that your booths seem to be, but I get your point. lol

Thanks again,
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2010
    @Richy I plan on using your suggestions, but may pass on soft drinks or food just for the reason you presented. I'm thinking chocolate kisses are good (will be close to Valentine's day for pink wrappers) and perhaps some water hidden for those who want to talk more in depth and possibly (gasp) book right there.

My difficulty is going to be getting that booth looking pretty. I will be bringing a girl with me who can do that better than me. I'm pretty good at talking with clients so I'm not afraid of that.

Oh, quick question for everyone about dress code. I was thinking dressy casual as in black pants and either a very nice sweater or button down shirt, but no tie. Like I were out on a date, but not necessarily attending (or photographing) their wedding.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    Do a search in this forum - Heatherfeather and mmmatt both did a series of posts about their experiences - very informative! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    I'm not a wedding photographer but wanted to share my experience at a wedding fair when my wife and I were trying to select a photographer all those years ago. The main thing that struck me was just how busy the place was, we had to wait at least 10 minutes at each stall to speak to a photographer (many of whom were on their own). It struck me that if you're doing this sort of thing then you would naturally want to talk to the B&G for however long it takes, this is stopping you from speaking to someone else. I couldn't understand why they hadn't brought 2-3 people with them who were versed in selling the packages, or at the very least could offer waiting people a cup of coffee, hand out an information leaflet and re-assure them that the main man would be with them very shortly.

Just some musings.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    While most of the time I get around home and go up to the shops looking like a reject Bikie, for things like this I always believe you can't be too well dressed. I would wear a jacket and pants, usually a suit, without the tie.
    It may be slightly overkill but I'm comfortable with that and can make it work for me.
    I like to look professional but be personable and approachable.

As for talking to the couples at the show, I have always had 1-2 helpers with me. One might just be passing out entry forms for the competition from the corner of the stand and the other will be beside me talking to people.

I think that the main thing to do at these shows is merely get a booking for the people to come in to see you so you can do a proper presentation. Mine take an average of 90 min. i don't sit there and ramble on to them for that long but I do try to get them talking about themselves and their wedding as much as possible. Often there will be 30 min of chit chat at the end and very little of the wedding is discussed but that's when you can actualy find out a lot about the couple thimeselves and build a lot of rapport which it THE most important thing of all.

At the shows I will answer the preliminary questions sauch as If i'm available, confirm i'm in their price range ball park, get a few details and then book them in to come see me at the studio. I don't believe you can afford to talk to people too long because you should have people waiting to make a booking just from standing back and looking at your work.

As for the stand and mine looking like heavenly gates, :D I wouldn't say I create that impression at all. In fact, I would try to avoid it myself.
    I have seen many shooters that set their stand up like a loungeroom or a studio or something elegant and mystical or whatever and I don't think it works as far as maximiseing the amount of bookings from a given show.

People go there to find vendors but not nessicarily to book them. All I want to do is impress the people enough to get a booking out of them to come see me at the studio or give me a ring. That is the goal of the show.

Now having said that, If I did not have some people want me to hold the day and even put a deposit on it, I'd be doing something wrong and I hae even had people book and pay me up front at shows but even then, if there is someone standing behind them i move them on as quickly and politely as possible with either a booking to come see me at the studio ( which they have to do 2 weeks before the wedding anyway) or that we will talk further on the phone.

Did I mention DON"T give out pricelists??
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    I am gearing up for my wedding fair too.... It is lots of work and planning.
    I usually wear a nice blouse and slacks and have 2 very trusted, energetic people (that love me and my work) along. (For this year, both ladies are brides that I have gotten close to through the years.) I give my helpers a few selling points, but mostly tell them to be freindly and cheerful and drag people into the booth for the drawing. They can point to their wedding photos and say how wonderful I was without me sounding like I love myself, which is nice.
    I don't book on site (since I don't want to spend the time) but I get a ton of consultations, and usually lock up my summer schedule. We give out mints since everyone has the same bad breath after tasting all that cake.

I don't give out pricelists either. I do verbally give a starting point for their wedding investment, but that is it. We get enough low budget brides through the fairs that the info generally sifts through the croud to the ones that wouldn't waste my time.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2010
    @ Chris H - I will have someone with me, but the show rules state I only can have 2 people in the booth including myself. Like richy says, it's difficult to hand over the reigns of selling to someone else. I'm going to go with the advice of no price lists, but I have to say that it will be difficult. It just seems like I would want that being on the other side. However, as someone who is still fairly new to all of this, I'm beginning to recognize time wasters and low bargain hunters so I get what you guys are saying. I have also finally realized how pitifully low I have been priced and see my real expenses now. I have had a good year, but it was also a learning one. I imagine this show will be another experience to learn from as well.

@ heatherfeather - I had considered asking one of my brides who raves about me to come along. However, I wasn't sure if new brides would look at that cynically. I suppose it's a live version of a testimonial, so why not. I will think some more about that.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2010
    Like richy says, it's difficult to hand over the reigns of selling to someone else.

Can I ask why?
    Do you have previous sales, marketing or promotional exprience or any sort of professional training therein?
    If so, I see your point.

If not, thinking that because your the head monkey no one else understands or can do it as good, could be anything up to a suicidal mistake.

If I were you, I'd look into hireing a professional sales promotions person.
    No, they won't know beans about you and they don't have to.
    I don't have to be a watchmaker to tell the time either.
    What they do know is how to push peoples buttons and make a sale and that's what it is about. It's the same for weach and every product.
    Sure, your passion etc will count for something but to think your the only one that can do it is incorrect.

When I do these shows, I stand off to the side of the booth and try to look busy handing out brochures or entry forms. I come over to answer questions when one of the hired help need me to answer a question which they have inevitably set up as a closer to getting an appointment. I answer it, run a test close and if that comes back positive I pull out the book and ask them when would be best for them to come in so I can show them this killer shot I took at another wedding that is just like what they are talking about or Whatever other reason for them to come see me and shut the gate. See you next week, next customer please.
    You don't want to stand there talking to them all day.

Don't make the mistake of thinking no one can do it as good as you because you will limit and hurt your business badly.
    I'm going to go with the advice of no price lists, but I have to say that it will be difficult. It just seems like I would want that being on the other side.

And ask yourself what you would do with that info?
    Compare it to everyone else to see who was the best value?
    The people that on the numbers alone seemed more exy or offered less, would you go see their work or would you go with the cheaper/ better deals and not bother with them?

You need to BELIEVE that it's not about price. If you don't, your going to struggle like all the other tryhards. To rise above them you have to be a professional sales and Business person first and a photographer second and a consumer 145th.

If you want the potential clients to make the decision on quality of work, personality, ability or anything else, other than confirming that your in their budget, what other reason is there to need to know price?
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2010
    I would LOVE to hire a sales staff, but this is my FIRST show and my studio work is out of my home. I have no desire to be the shoot and burn photographer for extra cash on the weekends, but I'm not there financially yet to hire out. Right now I can sell pretty well and do well with customer contact, it's a strong point. I like being in the trenches and it works for me. However, this will be a challenge as I'm used to a slow burn in a quiet place. I will have to change up a bit to make this work.

My weak point is going to be decorating that damn booth!! lol So, I will have a trusted person with me to do just that and answer general questions and fend off hangers on.

I hear you guys (and girls) about the price list - I get it. I will be giving out general information and try to book appointments to put myself and them in a comfortable place for me.

I will definitely post here after the show and say what went right and what went wrong. Thanks for the help!!
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2010

My weak point is going to be decorating that damn booth!! lol So, I will have a trusted person with me to do just that

What do you mean " Decorate" ?

If your talking putting candelarbra's and feel good crap around, trust me, don't bother. Do it just as I said to keep the attention on the photo's not your talents or lack thereof in my case for interiour design and you will be fine.
    The decoration is the prints. Everything else should serve a purpose and that is to get appointments.

I have seen booths that looked very eloborate and thought I would get my backside kicked by the shooters that had them but then I learned ( repeatedly) that they weren't getting the appointments.

Clean and simple is the way to go here.