Options

Day After Session (18 Large Pics)

trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
edited December 31, 2010 in Weddings
We were unable to make their wedding do too short notice and holiday but they still wanted us to do a day after session. Not quite sure what I think about the last shot with flash, still learning how to use it, would appreciate any thoughts. All photos taken by my wife and I.

1._MG_1003.jpg 2._MG_9580.jpg

3._MG_1049.jpg 4._MG_1065.jpg

5._MG_1047.jpg 6._MG_1027.jpg

7._MG_1105.jpg

8._MG_9640.jpg

9._MG_9643.jpg

10._MG_1097.jpg 11._MG_1184.jpg

12._MG_9793.jpg 13._MG_9718.jpg

14._MG_1167.jpg

15._MG_1204.jpg 16._MG_9780.jpg

17._MG_9769-2.jpg

18._MG_1275.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    I love the set as a whole. With #18, you lost the edge of his jacket. I'd try to use a bit of fill light in your post to bring back out some clearer definition on the edge. I'm far from a flash pro, but I almost wonder if it was too close or if you were zoomed in too much (which thus narrowed the flash beam, I believe) because there isn't a strong light over all of them. But I think the fill light in post would help.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    tmelotmelo Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    All shots posted are excellent and the flash on Number 18 is still works.

Judging by where the light is hitting the ground and the shadow on the grooms face; the flash looks like it is not in front of the couple enough. Or its in the right spot but its feathered to just catch the groom slightly.

I think if you moved the light to the right more, relative to camera left, you could fill in the shadow on the grooms face (left side). The light spill would also have fallen off behind the them more, instead of on the ground to the bride left. I think this would have given you the detail on the right side of the jacket as well as made it appear as though they were in a spotlight.

Another alternative is to move the light in closer to the subject, adjust the light up so its not hitting the ground as much and stop it down a bit. I think this would create a greater fall off behind them and create a spotlight effect as well.

The only other thing I can think of regarding the jacket line is a second light behind them to act as a rim light.

This is just my opinion, and by no means contains expert advice...I'm just an observer. I'm still experimenting with lighting myself and find it much easier to "know" what I'm doing when looking at the photo afterward in Lightroom than to "know" what I'm doing during the photo op. If that makes sense! :D
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    As with the last post of your that I saw, I really admire your style. Really nice. I agree with most of the ideas above regarding fixing #18.

I think the center composition on #7 is a great call, being as the trees are arching over them, and given the rest of the components. I like it a lot. Someone else may nitpick, but just tell them "rules are meant to be broken". lol
    LOVE your dress shots. Also, 9&13 are some of my faves.
    Also, some C&C that I wasn't asked for....I think you meant "..due to short notice..." , not "do too". Just sayin. Well, maybe I'm the one not getting it here. Not sure.
    Anyway, again your work is inspiring to me!
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Very nice set, very nice. Only nit is they could use some pp help in the skin dept.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2010
    Ssimmonsphoto- I see what your saying, the groom definitely fades into black. Thanks for spotting that.
    Tmelo- Thanks for braking the flash shot down, I will definitely try a rim light next time and see what happens with raising the fill a bit more
    Weisel- Thanks for the input on #7, I still don’t know what I think of it, it is the only other shot besides #18 where I used a flash. My wife took #9 and #13 I think #9 is my favorite from the set. Even after all my college English classes the double O on to always gets me :) Thanks again for the input.
    VayCayMom- I agree, I really could use some help in the pp department. I am not really happy with my style in that regard. Currently I am just using Lr3 to make adjustments.
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    trevorb wrote: »
    VayCayMom- I agree, I really could use some help in the pp department. I am not really happy with my style in that regard. Currently I am just using Lr3 to make adjustments.
    I fix most of the skin issues I encounter right within LR3. I open PS every once in a while, but LR3 really is amazing. Nothing wrong with doing your edits there. :ivar
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2010
    I fix most of the skin issues I encounter right within LR3. I open PS every once in a while, but LR3 really is amazing. Nothing wrong with doing your edits there. :ivar

Thanks for the encouragement; I have seen many people get away with just using LR3. Now I guess I just need to spend some serious time experimenting and developing something that works.