Options

5D Classic & Windows 7 question

mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
edited August 15, 2011 in Cameras
My old Dell (XP) laptop finally died on me the other day and I replaced it with a laptop that is running Windows 7. When I tether my 5D to the new laptop neither Lightroom 3.3 nor DSLR Remote Pro can recognize it. It appears to me from looking at Canon's website that there isn't a driver for Windows 7.

Does anyone know if that is the case or if there is a work around that I am missing?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    Here is what I have done this morning and where I am currently at:

I got the 5D installation disk to install by using the custom install rather than the automatic. Makes no difference to Windows 7 though.

So next I went to a link someone sent me for the newest version of EOS Utility and installed 2.9.0. Still no change.

When the Communication setting is set to Print/PTP Windows 7 sees the 5D and says it has installed the driver. In this setting though EOS Utility tells me to change the setting to PC Connect in order to remote shoot via EOS Utility. Lightroom 3 sees the 5D in this setting and say that tethering is ready to go but the camera will not shoot in this mode as it is BUSY. DSLR Remote Pro does not recognize the camera is there in this mode.

When I changed the 5D to PC Connect neither EOS Utility, DSLR Remote Pro nor Lightroom 3 show that a camera is connected.

What am I missing?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited January 1, 2011
    I know this isn't what you are talking about but I highly recommend not tethering the camera directly to the computer. Rather, use an external card reader to attach to the computer and use that to transfer image files into the computer.

A card reader is a much more reliable mechanism and every time you start your camera there is a starting surge of current that is stressing the camera's circuits. While that needs to happen in order to use the camera for imaging, it seems unnecessary to use the camera for file transfers.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Breeze says it only supports the 32 bit version of Windows 7.

http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/features.htm#cameras

Canon says it doesn't formally support the 5D for this software anymore, though it might work for it.

". Stopped providing support for old models.
    Although it is possible to use EU 2.8 with EOS 30D or later models, we have stopped providing support for previous models.(*)
    *: EOS D30, EOS D60, EOS 10D, EOS 20D, EOS 20Da, EOS 5D, EOS Kiss DIGITAL / EOS DIGITAL REBEL / EOS 300D DIGITAL, EOS Kiss DIGITAL N / EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT / EOS 350D DIGITAL, EOS-1D, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1Ds, EOS-1Ds Mark I"

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_ii#DriversAndSoftware

You can try running the utilities in XP mode on Windows 7.

Dan
    mrcoons wrote: »
    My old Dell (XP) laptop finally died on me the other day and I replaced it with a laptop that is running Windows 7. When I tether my 5D to the new laptop neither Lightroom 3.3 nor DSLR Remote Pro can recognize it. It appears to me from looking at Canon's website that there isn't a driver for Windows 7.

Does anyone know if that is the case or if there is a work around that I am missing?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    In case I misunderstand and you want to use the 5D with Windows 7 tethered to allow remote capture, I'm afraid that Canon does not appear to provide Windows 7 drivers for the original Canon 5D camera.

I have had some luck running old applications in a virtual box using the Sun VirtualBox emulation software.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

I currently run a Win2000 virtual machine that does appear to allow USB connectivity, according to some simple testing I've done.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Breeze says it only supports the 32 bit version of Windows 7.

http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/features.htm#cameras

Canon says it doesn't formally support the 5D for this software anymore, though it might work for it.

". Stopped providing support for old models.
    Although it is possible to use EU 2.8 with EOS 30D or later models, we have stopped providing support for previous models.(*)
    *: EOS D30, EOS D60, EOS 10D, EOS 20D, EOS 20Da, EOS 5D, EOS Kiss DIGITAL / EOS DIGITAL REBEL / EOS 300D DIGITAL, EOS Kiss DIGITAL N / EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT / EOS 350D DIGITAL, EOS-1D, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1Ds, EOS-1Ds Mark I"

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_ii#DriversAndSoftware

You can try running the utilities in XP mode on Windows 7.

Dan

Dan, would I use Virtual PC to run Lightroom in XP? Or is there some other way to do it?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    I don't run Windows 7 but I know there is an XP mode in it which is, in effect, done with a builtin Virtual PC.

However, if you have Virtual PC you could also use that.

However, at least last time I checked, I don't think Virtual PC supports USB ports, at least it didn't last time I tried it. However the builtin XP mode in Windows 7 might, but I just don't know.

I forgot about USB support, or lack of it, in Virtual PC. In that past when I needed a virtual machine that supported USB ports I used VMWare.

Even with a virtual machine you may have to dumb down the virtual machine to 32-bit mode.

Dan, would I use Virtual PC to run Lightroom in XP? Or is there some other way to do it?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    A...nd I missed Ziggy's point... Virtualbox is another choice. It's not a vm I've used but I know a lot of people who do and it seems to work quite well.
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    In case I misunderstand and you want to use the 5D with Windows 7 tethered to allow remote capture, I'm afraid that Canon does not appear to provide Windows 7 drivers for the original Canon 5D camera.

I have had some luck running old applications in a virtual box using the Sun VirtualBox emulation software.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

I currently run a Win2000 virtual machine that does appear to allow USB connectivity, according to some simple testing I've done.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Canon stopped supporting drivers for their older camerasrolleyes1.gif So they're saying that these cameras aren't worth supporting, IOW, the users of these cameras aren't worth supporting. What does that say about Canon as a company?

Regarding getting it to work, do you have an older XP or Vista machine to run it on?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    Canon stopped supporting drivers for their older camerasrolleyes1.gif So they're saying that these cameras aren't worth supporting, IOW, the users of these cameras aren't worth supporting. What does that say about Canon as a company? ...

Microsoft keeps developing backward-incompatible operating systems that are terribly difficult and expensive to code new drivers for. This makes supporting older cameras more problematic.

If this was something trivial I think that Adobe Lightroom and Breeze Systems DSLR Remote Pro would be all over it since they have potentially more to lose. Canon is not alone in this battle. The other camera manufacturers also struggle with older camera driver support in the new operating systems.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    I'm not so sure I would totally blame Microsoft for this. At some point you just can't get "everthing old and everything new". With the size and variety of the installed base of Windows what is more amazing to me is the compatibility they able to maintain across versions of the OS than what they can't.

I think that in this case it's the market transition from 32 to 64 bit that's the problem here. My guess is that if you stick to 32 bit versions of the OS everything will work. But Canon has decided not to make 64 bit driver for the classic 5D. I can understand why the didn't and it's just a fact of computer life that a piece of hardware that is 3 or 4 years old is ancient:D

There really isn't any practical way for Microsoft to make 32-bit drivers work in a 64-bit environment. The same thing happened when things transitioned from 16-bit - 32-bit Windows, lots of hardware effectively became orphaned because manufacturers didn't create the 32-bit drivers for them.
    Microsoft keeps developing backward-incompatible operating systems that are terribly difficult and expensive to code new drivers for. This makes supporting older cameras more problematic.

If this was something trivial I think that Adobe Lightroom and Breeze Systems DSLR Remote Pro would be all over it since they have potentially more to lose. Canon is not alone in this battle. The other camera manufacturers also struggle with older camera driver support in the new operating systems.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    Success!

The solution to this problem (tethering a Canon 5D classic) to a Windows 7 Professional 32bit laptop takes a little doing but it can be done.

Install Virtual PC and Windows XP mode for Windows 7. (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/default.aspx)

Once you have done this and rebooted, set the compatibility mode of Lightroom to WinXP Service Pack 3.
    Next get your EOS Solution Disk (ver 12.1 or so) put it in your drive but don't run it yet. Once it's in the drive open up the Computer window and right click on the drive. Explode the disk and find the installer program. Set the compatibility of the installer program to WinXP and then you can run the installer to install the 5D driver.

Now when you start LR it will recognize your 5D classic and life has been restored to normalcy.

Screenshot:
    http://flic.kr/p/96ryL2
    96ryL2

• Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    That's good to hearthumb.gif I glad the USB port worked!
    Success!

The solution to this problem (tethering a Canon 5D classic) to a Windows 7 Professional 32bit laptop takes a little doing but it can be done.

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Emulators like that are a godsend for older software - my husband loves old DOS and windows 3.1 games (don't ask! rolleyes1.gif) for which it's great. Thanks to his research to get those running, he also managed to coax a rather recalcitrant win95/98 home design program to run for me using one of those as well. Good to know it works for camera software too! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011

I'm not surprised other camera manufacturers don't. Does the OP have 64-bit? They should at least do 32-bit, even if it does take a huge amount of time. They do for the new cameras. One day these new cameras won't be supported anymore. If I'm a customer, how does that make me feel? True, I will probably have upgraded my PC by then, but maybe not... The 5D was released in '05. It's been 5 years (6 actually, but Windows 7 was released in 2010) and the 5D is no longer supported. Do users upgrade their cameras every 5 years? No. Not necessarily. OK, Canon wants them to... I see where we're going here...
  • Options
    BOUNCINGNRGBOUNCINGNRG Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 11, 2011
    Right, i've figured out the problem. Breeseys never got back to me so i had to get out my hammer and start smashing things until they started to work

So, Canon being a bunch of knobers no longer support old camera, hmmm, 5d old, well yes, if you are running windows 7 you're going to have issues, if its 64bit your screwed (apparently).

I've got windows 7 32bit
    So what i did, was go and download the EOS USB WIS 6.0.0 driver **this is key** before you install it you need to right click the application and change the compatibility to Vista 32bit then you can install it. Then once you have 'dslr remote pro' installed you need you need to right click and change the compatibility to vista 32 bit.

Hope this helps someone else.
    Boom, should all run smooth
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2011
    Right, i've figured out the problem. Breeseys never got back to me so i had to get out my hammer and start smashing things until they started to work

So, Canon being a bunch of knobers no longer support old camera, hmmm, 5d old, well yes, if you are running windows 7 you're going to have issues, if its 64bit your screwed (apparently).

I've got windows 7 32bit
    So what i did, was go and download the EOS USB WIS 6.0.0 driver **this is key** before you install it you need to right click the application and change the compatibility to Vista 32bit then you can install it. Then once you have 'dslr remote pro' installed you need you need to right click and change the compatibility to vista 32 bit.

Hope this helps someone else.
    Boom, should all run smooth

Darn, I meant to post this information was well and forgot. Thanks for adding it. I did finally get a reply from BreezeSys but I had already figured it out like you did. Thanks for the post BOUNCINGNRG.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    Is it that DSLR obsolescence will be defined by software support. The 5D is how old...announced August 22, 2005...so 6 years is the life span of today's DSLR's. Laughable, when you remember that the 5D release price was $3299.00 US...even more laughable when you realize they were manufactured until shortly before and sold NEW as Canon's flagship mid-range DSLR until September 2008 when the 5DII was announced. Which means that Canon stopped supporting their venerable 5D only three (3) years after stopping production and sales.

What really sucks is that if you bought your 5D in 2005 and it's 6 years old...you probably think it's time for Canon to stop support and move on...but there are those who own 5D's that are only 3 years old...hmm...not so funny if you're one of those guys...with a three year old $2000+ investment and no support from the manufacturer...shame on you Canon...and Nikon...if you're doing the same thing.

So, if you are considering buying a 5D2...or D700...or used DSLR older than that, you would be wise to question how soon the manufacture will stop support after you buy it. And further, if you own a 3 year old camera, you might want to sell it before Canon or Nikon stop supporting it and people on forums start talking about it.

So, bottom line...when you buy a new DSLR...you're not only buying new technology, but support from the manufacturer.

Just my rant...following the OP's post about no support from Canon...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed