Options

Paris.

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited January 3, 2011 in Journeys
First of all, I can't think you Dgrinners enough for being so awesomely supportive of your peers. The feedback and comments for my previous Chernobyl posts have been more than I ever would have expected, and I do appreciate knowing that folks out there learned something from our travels!

The part that I didn't really talk about before was the 10 days before that part of the trip.

To start, my husband and I flew from San Francisco to Paris, France. I have been to Paris twice before, but both were different circumstances. The first time I went with my sister, the second with my closest friend. Yet strangely I had never been to the City of Love with my True Love, so off we went for the greatest date night ever.

Somehow I'd never seen the movie Amelie until just a few weeks before we left, so of course we had to hit Montmartre and the great sights it has to offer:

1079117768_tCiMf-L.jpg

1079121525_TvCqs-L.jpg

The best part is that the questionably-homeless dude I saw last time was feeding pigeons right next to us while I was shooting this. A year later. If that's not poetry, I don't know what is.

I love Paris and the beautiful architecture:

1079125874_cQWB6-L.jpg

1079134282_Cz9nx-L.jpg

After our hike around the top of la butte Montmartre, we were ready for lunch. I looked around for the Cafe Butte but didn't see it. So instead we settled for La Refuge, which turned out to be a great choice. Our waitress's English was comparable to my French, and she was full of life. She reminded me so much of a female version of Sam from Benny and Joon. We loved her.

Cutting chunks of bread for the after-lunch crowd:

1079137831_CKQXg-L.jpg

A "half" bottle of red wine is, apparently, a full bottle of wine. Much more than we typically drink so we had a little fun for the hour and a half or so we spent sitting there, watching patrons come in.

1081403569_SFMMe-L.jpg

Finally we hauled our gear off the floor and ambled our way back to our hotel.

1079143919_dqvZK-L-1.jpg1079155353_KhtJX-L-1.jpg

I kept poking Trav to not go to sleep (you'll never beat jet lag that way!!) but he insisted on passing out for a couple of hours. While I recorded our travels in my travelog I noticed the apartment across from our hotel window had some laundry out to dry. Something about turquoise underwear drying in the breeze struck me as just so freaking French. Plus the bra never moved until after we had checked out the next day. The weather was cold. I doubt it was actually dry.

My dirty little secret is that every time I'm in Paris I adore looking into people's windows and seeing how they live. The contrast from room to room is sometimes quick jarring.

In the evening we headed out to the city centre to catch some shots. Sunset was not entirely impressive, but I was right: There is little else that is satisfying as walking along the Seine with a hot date:

1079165741_JnPAh-L.jpg

Self-portraits:

1081412024_rmR3r-L.jpg

We found ourselves crossing Pont Neuf, which actually was quite amusing due to our mutual love of Jason Bourne. (Are YOU f***ing Matt Damon?)

1079169392_8jght-L.jpg

1079159972_bHKuw-L-1.jpg1079413283_UsD3K-L-1.jpg

1079420046_5sEAS-L.jpg

I admit that my attraction to the Louvre is largely sentimental, but it was quite beautiful during the blue hour. However, it was also quite gusty and cold and I was getting famished by this point. I could not stop thinking about frites. Beautiful, hot, crispy, melt-on-the-tongue frites...

And we found them! On a whim we ducked into La Royale, some random bistro in that stretch of blocks between the Louvre and L'Opéra.

By the way, if there's any place in the world I'm going to break my dietary rules, it's Paris.

1081425911_sbNy3-L.jpg

Thank god the waitress didn't speak English. I am tired of not being able to practice my French!

1081417695_kFVr9-L.jpg

The frites were EVERYTHING I wanted, and more. Seriously, I have had many, many experiences when I had a mad hankering for something and couldn't get it. This was not one of those. Paris gets top marks for satisfaction.

We opted to walk back to our hotel rather than take the metro. It was a gorgeous night and our trip of a lifetime was just beginning. The following morning I wanted no-holds-barred French croissants. Not spongey tourist-pandering bready things like we had the previous morning. Real crispy croissants with a proper coffee.

Bingo:

1081431223_iXJkn-L.jpg

Even though it's $30 USD for two people to get coffee, croissants and a small glass of orange juice, I'll pay it. How often are you in the City of Love with Someone You Love? Seriously, I would not trade these experiences for the world.

.... even with the strikes. Those famous French strikes. We were done in Paris and headed to Gare du Nord to catch a train to the Netherlands. And there was definitely something funky with the rail lines then. We weren't able to buy our tickets the usual way so we had to just hop the train and hope we didn't get kicked off en route.

A few days later we learned there were massive strikes in France and the fuel shortage was in full swing. By then we were out of the country, just ahead of the wave.

More later!

Comments

• Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    Aahhh to be in Paris and in love iloveyou.gif
    truly a fantastic city!! and one I've got to get back to - no excuse as it's only 4 hours away...

you get such great colours and "pop" on your photos - e.g. the croissant one.... was it just the restaurant lighting?? or some fill flash???

Also how to sit so close and yet get such shallow DOF??? Or was it post processing???

Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2010
    more please....
    As usual enjoyed looking at these, i feel like i am there!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    wpbarrwpbarr Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    I'm so hungry, now! Fine photos, indeed.
    --
    Bill Barr
    6x7, 35mm, m4/3
  • Options
    JenLensJenLens Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2010
    Jealous!! Very beautiful shots!!!
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2010
    I almost forgot this thread was there! Sorry about that (crazy time of year...)

The reaction to "Paris" always seems to be fairly polarized, but I like it and I think Z does, too. Although, Jase, Switzerland has always been very high on my list as well!

The lighting and color on the croissant pic was actually all the weird, overhead lighting in the cafe. I'm not ballsy enough to pop a flash when I'm already a klutzy American tourist. My French is passable but we hit several other countries where speaking the language and blending in was absolutely not an option. lol3.gif

For shallow DOF, 16-35L f/2.8, my friend....
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2010
    wow - most cafes i seem to end up in have dingy-er (spelling?) lighting than that!!!

I just replaced my camera gear after having it all stolen and added a 17-50 f2.8 to the bag so looking forward to trying it out :D

I like photos that remind me of the places I've been - if you hit similar places and capture the mood somehow then I can feel the emotional connection with that place returning... it was like Denise's photos of Iceland too - I get nostalgic to go back and again which I figure is, feedback wise, about as good as it gets thumb.gif ( at least from my side! ) Bringing back great memories thumb.gif
  • Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Absolutely wonderful work as usual! thumb.gif

But now you've reminded me of how much I'd love to go back to Paris...
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    I almost forgot this thread I'm not ballsy enough to pop a flash when I'm already a klutzy American tourist.

Not ballsy enough to use your flash in France, but going to Chernobyl is no problem? Those Parisiens must be intimidating!mwink.gif
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    Justiceiro wrote: »
    Not ballsy enough to use your flash in France, but going to Chernobyl is no problem? Those Parisiens must be intimidating!mwink.gif

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    This makes me want to go to Paris again! Gorgeous photos!! I really love the merry go round.