Options

Secret Engagement Success

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited January 3, 2011 in Weddings
At the end of last year during a road trip I met up with my brother in San Francisco. During the stay John Borland and I put the idea of a secret engagement into his mind. We had just had our first attempt at one in Missouri and although it didn't go according to plan we really wanted to try it again.

Fast forward a few months and my brother is putting a plan of epic proportions into action. My sister and parents all bought tickets from Anchorage, Alaska to Seattle, Washington. His fiance's brothers and sisters are all invited to a dinner set for June. My family knows of the engagement plans, hers are not. He contacted me and we began to plan the shoot. He thought it would be great and I got really excited about the opportunity.

We all arrived in Seattle and it was going according to plan. His fiance didn't even know we were in town. My brother and I went and found a great place at the Botanical Gardens. I saw it and thought "this is the perfect spot!" he agreed and I jumped around for an hour looking for how to hide myself and my camera. I had him rent me a 100-400mm lens for the event so it was interesting finding a place to hide.

Then the day arrived. I went to the garden and hid an hour early. We setup everything before hand. I told him to make sure no people were in the areas we discussed. I also had him stand and face a specific way so that I could get the most from facial expressions and body movement. I set a small X of leaves on the ground so that he would know exactly where to stand. When he was on his way he sent a text message to give a 15 minute heads up, then another when he was in the parking lot so that we (me and my sister who I stole as an assistant) had enough time to jump into the bushes!

We watched as a whole family of atleast 9 people came walking into the picture first! Oh NO! Then for some reason they just hurried on through right as my brother came to the bridge. I was breathing slowly or not at all. I was excited for the moment but I think I was more on edge about making sure I didn't miss the shot! He took out a bag and her hands shot to her face. He put his hand in the bag and then she knew. Down to the knee and...

558667256_CCy9t-XL.jpg

Then the first kiss as an engaged couple.
558657370_d3dpL-XL.jpg

I was so excited! Soon they were gone and we made sure to jump up and continue with stage 2 of the plan. We drove and met with my parents at a local restaurant where his fiance's draw dropped to the floor. Then her parents walked in. She was flushed all night, I think she was suprised every time she looked around. I must say it was pretty amazing, and a very well done to my brother!

On a side note we were never discovered in our hiding spot, even by my brother who took a quick glance to try and find us. He even took a picture on his iphone before he left at her request which was directly at us! Even looking at the picture we were unnoticable. Whew....Success!

Comments