Options

Co-op Studio

RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited January 4, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Has anyone ever been involved in or know of a co-op studio?

I have an opportunity to acquire a prime downtown location for a studio where I live. the draw back is I can't afford one alone.

We have a "Guild" of photographers here that I am trying to get interested in a co-op venture.

any advice or tips or pitfalls to look for?

Thanks
Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
Canon speedlights and Alien Bees

Comments

• Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Sounds like a great idea. Downtown locations are great for passing traffic and impulse buys. Holidays and Christmas are the main moments. Perhaps you should look for premises that are temporarily available - eg empty and cheap. Otherwise downtown is too expensive unless you are selling shoes or clothes or chocolate. I would not share this idea with others - far too complicated.

Sharing a studio is an ok idea, but then you need to do it out of town with easy parking and low overheads.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    RacinRandy wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been involved in or know of a co-op studio?

I have an opportunity to acquire a prime downtown location for a studio where I live. the draw back is I can't afford one alone.

We have a "Guild" of photographers here that I am trying to get interested in a co-op venture.

any advice or tips or pitfalls to look for?

Thanks

I understand you are asking for experiences. and I only have experience with a partnership in this realm, and I would NEVER do it again!

But a coop is different, and a GUILD is definitely different. I suggest you (The Guild) continue to debate it. I bet ya'll could come up with some neat ways to make this affordable and profitable for everyone.
    tom wise
  • Options
    RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    I suggest you (The Guild) continue to debate it. I bet ya'll could come up with some neat ways to make this affordable and profitable for everyone.

This is exactly the function I am looking to create for it. I want it to be a place where 5 or 6 of us work out of regularly with an open invitation to other members to came and use as they need for a SMALL fee. I am willing to put my alien bees to be used by all as they wish. Also the few backgrounds and stands and things of that nature.

My thought is to have it be a USEFUL entity that helps everyone in someway(Gear, equipment, etc,etc,) not to mention a more "Professional" setting than someones home may seem.
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • Options
    deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Do your research as it can become a money pit or you end up doing all the legwork every month. If you have good knowledgeable people involved it can be a great venture for all.
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    RacinRandy wrote: »
    This is exactly the function I am looking to create for it. I want it to be a place where 5 or 6 of us work out of regularly with an open invitation to other members to came and use as they need for a SMALL fee. I am willing to put my alien bees to be used by all as they wish. Also the few backgrounds and stands and things of that nature.

My thought is to have it be a USEFUL entity that helps everyone in someway(Gear, equipment, etc,etc,) not to mention a more "Professional" setting than someones home may seem.

Consider Charity functions. For instance the _____ society has a Portriat fundraiser and they use your GUild-Studio for the portraits. Where the potential Donors call in advance or go Online and schedule with the photog of their choosing for their thirty minute session. You and said society figure out how much you recoup and they receive?

I just think working as a Group can have huge benefits.
    tom wise
  • Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    I have a studio and have a photographer that leases office space and shooting time from me on a full time basis. It works super well for us, as I work days, and am rarely in the studio in the evenings and on the weekends. The studio is also available for rental and is used quite often by other photographers and salons for shoots. I would suggest that if you plan on being a co-op/guild, that you take a hard look at when the studio would actually be available to the members and whether or not that works for them.
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Here's one in Halifax, NS that is a rental set-up. You might want to talk to the owner to see how it's working for him.
    http://aperturestudios.ca/?page_id=79
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada