Options

Is it possible to see your eye through the lens?

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited January 4, 2011 in Technique
I got thinking, and I was wondering if its possible to capture an picture of your eye, through the lens of your camera using a mirror. I just did some test shots with a macro lens but its to dark in here and I'm to tired to setup some flashes in the kitchen.

so I thought I would find out if this is even possible with out any post processing.

Has anyone tried this?

Comments

• Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Well, if you're using an SLR camera, the mirror inside the camera is going to flip up so that the film can be exposed, so... no. :D
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    Hmm, ya, you can tell im tired and didnt think it all the way through. :) was just thinking of the mirror showing the eye. guess Id need to take a picture of a camera up to the eye with a 2nd camera. any theories on this one?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited January 4, 2011
    GerryDavid wrote: »
    Hmm, ya, you can tell im tired and didnt think it all the way through. :) was just thinking of the mirror showing the eye. guess Id need to take a picture of a camera up to the eye with a 2nd camera. any theories on this one?

That could work, though I'm not sure how you would get enough light on the eye to make it clearly visible. You would probably have to focus manually. I think it might be easier if you just did a composite instead. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    I was thinking the room would have to be extremely well lit with even light for the eye to be visible, or perhaps a ring flash around the eye piece.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited January 4, 2011
    GerryDavid wrote: »
    I was thinking the room would have to be extremely well lit with even light for the eye to be visible, or perhaps a ring flash around the eye piece.

Yeah, something like that.

I moved this to the technique forum. Maybe someone else will have a useful suggestion.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited January 4, 2011
    Please give us a simple diagram of what you are thinking to do. I cannot imagine why you would need, or want, to use a mirror in the process?

How would the mirror help?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    use camera control
    it exist for both Nikon and Canon
    that way you dont need a mirror , while you have full control on camera
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    The mirror was going to be used when it was just one camera. Now that I realize you wont see the eye when the mirror flips to take the picture, a 2nd camera will ahve to be used, so the mirror is no longer needed. :) I wonder if I can talk my wife into holding the camera up to her eye for half an hour while I experiment, hehe.
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    with Camera Control you can see the image on your (computer) screen [ with you other eye ]
    [ your camera must have live-view though ]
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 4, 2011
    You could put a flash on each side of the subjects eye, and then photograph with a second camera, but you may blind your subject too....

That is only half way joking.

No one should use a flash pointing at their eye, closer than 4 or 5 feet at the very least.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin