Options

online proofing

chris5olsonchris5olson Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
edited January 7, 2011 in Weddings
I was wondering what sites you preferred for online proofing for you clients to view their photos.
In My Bag:
Canon Rebel XSi. Canon 50mm f/1.4. Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6. Speedlite 430exII
Coming Soon
Canon 5DmkII. Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L

Comments

• Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    You do realize that this forum is part of smugmug right? Smugmug rocks and is all I will ever use.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    chris5olsonchris5olson Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    omg... how dumb do i feel, note to self dont post while baby is distracting you.

i didnt even think about smugmug.
    In My Bag:
    Canon Rebel XSi. Canon 50mm f/1.4. Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6. Speedlite 430exII
    Coming Soon
    Canon 5DmkII. Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    mmmatt wrote: »
    Smugmug rocks and is all I will ever use.

Matt
    This. wings.gifivariloveyou.gif
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    I've used SmugMug for (almost) seven years and have loved it very much.

However, in the sake of FULLLY educating everyone here on their options, I will say:

SmugMug may be right for some, but not right for others. It mainly depends on how involved you want to be in the proofing / print sales process, and which products you'd like to offer.

For example, it is difficult to sell mounted / framed prints through SmugMug, or other products depending on your local market and industry. If I want to sell a client a 20x30" print mouted with a mat to 24x36" and then framed, it gets pretty complicated. Not to mention the fact that most portrait studios that sell fully framed products are going to charge thousands for those products, and SmugMug takes a hefty 15% of those profits, even if you're only paying SmugMug for a ~$20 print and then having it shipped to YOU for mounting / framing.

As one other quibble I still have with SmugMug - you still cannot allow clients to order a B&W print from a color proof, which a few other online proofing sites do offer which I think is cool. But I'm sure if enough people ask, SmugMug will implement such a feature...

So the bottom line is, if you're getting into high-end studio stuff, you may also want to consider one of the other professional options such as PickPic which takes 0% of your profits, allows you to sell ANY product you like, ...except it costs $99 per month.

Personally, my business is JUST RIGHT for SmugMug. I do thousands of dollars worth of print sales each year, however I do NOT want to deal with people's credit card numbers, shipping info, etc. I just want to receive orders, retouch images, click "send to lab", ...and get money in my bank account! :-)

For a sample of just how awesome SmugMug can be, here's one of my SmugMug galleries, as it would look to a client. (Minus the print ordering interface, since it's a "web inbox" for my recent wedding images...)

http://photos.matthewsaville.com/Weddings/blog-2010-weddings

Looks extremely professional, cutting edge web experience, unlimited storage, and all for $100-$150 per year!
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    ^ what both Matts said. SM all the way! I love not having to babysit orders... I love getting my print sales moolah direct deposited each month. It works and makes me look goooood.