Options

Images not cropping correctly

KBOULTERKBOULTER Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited January 12, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello,
Could someone please help... In order for someone to buy prints on my site, every picture needs to be cropped, and when cropping, there is always someone's head being cut off. Is this an issue with the original size of the photograph. I have photoshop cs5, I am just unsure on what the size of the picture needs to be in order to be workable. I have a client trying to order prints today and is having trouble.

Thanks,
Kellen Boulter
KCB Photographs
www.kcbphotographs.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    This photo http://www.kcbphotographs.com/Private/Grace/Grace-photographs/15311388_NkN8a#1145631141_WAiNm is 3:2 ratio and would print with no cropping at 4x6, 8x12, etc.

If a customer orders a 5x7 or 8x10, it'll be cropped. Customers do this in the cart, get it right most of the time. But Proof Delay http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace allows you to replace or re-crop before the order goes to the lab. Does that help?
  • Options
    KBOULTERKBOULTER Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    I know how they can quick crop it before its ordered and after ordering. But how can I adjust my image proportions so that more images can be printed with less cropping needed. Most of the photos in that folder, when you have to crop, turn out with with peoples bodies half in and half out with heads cut off.

Thanks,
    Kellen Boulter
    KCB Photographs
    www.kcbphotographs.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    KBOULTER wrote: »
    I know how they can quick crop it before its ordered and after ordering. But how can I adjust my image proportions so that more images can be printed with less cropping needed. Most of the photos in that folder, when you have to crop, turn out with with peoples bodies half in and half out with heads cut off.

Thanks,
    When taking photos like this always back off some or don't zoom in too far.
    This is the only realistic method I can think of. Trying to size for print on
    Smugmug is too much of a PITA.

The do make glass for view finders with 8x10 marks on them.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
  • Options
    JustinThymeJustinThyme Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    Just make sure you loosely crop photos and when shooting leave a bit of room for cropping.
    Canon CPS Gold Member
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    If you're having problems with the thumbnails in the gallery being cropped wrong and heads cut off, etc., swtich to original thumbnails instead of square. If you're having too many bad user crops, just eliminate the sizes from purchase that are causing customers problems. Proof delay and looser cropping also work, but sometimes the customer can't visualize a cropped image. You many have to manually crop thumbnails in this case.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!