DURACELL making CF cards? I scoff, but I wonder?

OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
edited January 12, 2011 in Accessories
Okay so it seems recently Duracell has gotten into the CF game. They claim their 'Photo Pro' line to be SLC NAND flash, which is the same stuff as Lexar.

For a base price of $50 I call B.S. but has anyone here actually used these and can tell me otherwise?

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Speed-Compact-Flash-DU-CF30-16G-C/dp/B003O9FY50

Comments

• kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    Back in the second week of november when i bought my DSLR body I too saw duracell CF cards for sale, and i was like "WTF" and didn't understand a battery company selling flash memory. My only assumption would be they bought out a poor performing flash-memory company at some point and is now selling it. But i'm no expert and i'm just completely guessing.

I went with a more well-known company Transcend, at least they've been making flash memory for about 8-9 years, and i got lucky and found a 400x-speeded version @ 8gb on ebay for $45 with free shipping.

Unless someone on here comes up stating they've used those Duracell cards for more than a year daily, I'd suggest finding a better brand.
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 12, 2011
    IMHO, Duracell did not rise the top of the food chain in batteries by being a fly-by-night company. I bet they end up being a serious contender in flash memory.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    Do not know a thing about Duracell CF's...I cliked the link in 1st post...they are 300x for ~~$31...I just paid ~$72 + free shipping for 16gb 600x Transcends at New Egg...so the Duracell price does not seem that great to me.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• CarpyCarpy Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    Hey Guys,

Do you really think that duracell have set up a production line to produce CF cards from scratch ? It's more likely that they are buying them in from a reputable (after all they've got their reputation to consider) manufacturer. I used to work in the UK in Chubb Fire, at a production facility making fire extinguishers and a lot of the time, the only difference in the product was the silk screen applied to the outside. These could very well be high quality cards with a duracell sticker and packaging.
    Carpy
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    Read the Amazon link ... they are made by Dane-Elec ( http://www.dane-elec.fr/index.php?lang=en ). I've used their USB flash drives, but prefer Sandisk and Transcend CF and SDHC cards as those two brands have never given me any grief (knock on wood).
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.