Options

Floating Market, Thailand

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 14, 2011 in Journeys
Here are a few of my favorite shots from our trip to the floating market in Thailand. There are a couple floating markets in Bangkok. This one was about a 2 hour drive from our hotel in Sukhumvit. It was quite an experience. Like nothing here in the States.

There are quite a number of boats coming and going down the canals.

1153176479_GSriF-X2.jpg

This is the captain of our boat. Very nice young guy, very polite and quite the driver. And he spoke English, which was very rare in Thailand.

1153273876_w4jSG-X2.jpg

There are areas where the boats can dock and you can get off and walk to shop at the various "stores". You can see all the tourists here sitting along the dock eating and resting:

1153251094_RJSHk-X2.jpg

There are also vendors that sell their goods from their boats. Most are woman, although we did see a few men:

1153181132_q8fTU-X2.jpg

1153184878_KMRBS-X2.jpg

1153184697_VLMqD-X2.jpg

As you travel along the water, the vendors approach your boat and offer you stuff, mostly food. We bought fried bananas from this woman. They were quite good:

1153188770_xMk6N-X2.jpg

1153190127_bLmMc-X2.jpg

At one point we stopped in this area where there was a large open market. They sold mostly souvenirs:

1153201822_pcwVT-X2.jpg

As I ventured around, I found this nice man and his son making these small cookie shaped things from coconut sugar.

1153192023_vTkRt-X2.jpg

He was quite animated and moved around very fast:

1153193983_udimT-X2.jpg

1153198683_Cmqrk-X2.jpg

He noticed my wife was watching with great interest so he began showing her how to make them:

1153196337_M4gPu-X2.jpg

A couple seconds after this shot, he popped me on the had with his spatula for making fun of the "cookies" my wife made:

1153194193_35hWX-X2.jpg

Shortly after we got back on the boat and traveled down the canals and bought some fruit:

1153305905_MVTi9-X2.jpg

Our driver then stopped at a temple that was along the one of the canals. This monk was sweeping the water from in front of the temple. It had a rain a bit throughout the day.

1153201589_i7bPT-X2.jpg

A Buddha statue greets you as you enter the temple:

1153204996_qPaxk-X2.jpg

The inside of the temple had a large shrine with many thai Buddha statues. I was surprised when they allowed me to take photos. I was not allowed at a few other temples we visited earlier in our trip:

1153394076_Ejie3-X2.jpg

After the temple, I asked our driver to take us back to the main part of the market so I can take some photos. I took quite a few photos of the women as they talked and sold their wares.

1153209584_PaHCW-X2.jpg

1153214795_gpG4R-X2.jpg

1153205896_RpYy9-X2.jpg

1153210476_P7yzH-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    Wonderful series of photos thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    great set alex
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    great set, love the colors, great composition, good use of your WA.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    Thanks all.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    It was a lucky day for you when the only lens you had avaiable was the 16mm, that perspective gives these such a nice quality.
    I like every one of these shots and your commentary really adds to your series.

My favorite and I have to say one of the best photos I have seen in awhile is the shot of the monk sweeping away the water in front of the temple. You should submit that into some photo contests...that is a winner. I love how he is surrounded by the temple reflections in the water he is sweeping away.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    It was a lucky day for you when the only lens you had avaiable was the 16mm, that perspective gives these such a nice quality.
    I like every one of these shots and your commentary really adds to your series.

My favorite and I have to say one of the best photos I have seen in awhile is the shot of the monk sweeping away the water in front of the temple. You should submit that into some photo contests...that is a winner. I love how he is surrounded by the temple reflections in the water he is sweeping away.

Mike,

Thanks man. We have similar tastes because the monk shot is one of my favorites of the whole trip. It's funny because I was crouched down over on the left side of Temple, kind of just taking things in, trying to "see" the shot I wanted. Then, this monk comes walking out from the side of the temple with a broom. I kind of just hung back to see what she (I think it was a gal) was going to do. So she starts sweeping and I shifted over behind her and waited. Then, I saw the money shot, composed and fired a bunch of exposures in burst mode. I also had auto bracket on because I new this was a one time shot and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss the exposure. I got several workable frames but this was by far the best. And much better than just a shot of the Temple itself. The monk really adds to story. I think without the monk, it's a snapshot.

Here is another Monk shot but from the Grand Palace... Not as good but I like it. Also, I had to dodge the monk because I shot this originally to have him somewhat silhouetted but I didn't like it. I think I have to work on it some more... He's a bit noisy and I don't know if I like the dude snapping a shot on the right.

1153461973_5xZve-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    I do like the last one at first glance....upon further review I think it is a So Close.
    If you had taken if from a lower angle so the spire was entirely in the photo but not so low that you would lose the reflection. In that closer photo you could have come pretty close to missing the other guy....or you could have yelled hey you and waved him off...maybe not :).
    Still a very nice shot as is.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    These are awesome, very nice stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2011
    Thank you Awais.

My Smug Site