Sippin'

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited June 10, 2004 in Holy Macro
Sorry, I've been away for a while. I didn't have an opportunity to vote on the last assignment. Andy, you were absolutely right about that fence in my shot of the Rockie Path. I had intended to do a little post processing and resubmit. However, I had a heart attack and spent a few days in the hospital. Boy, I thought I was too young for that. Just goes to show, don't ever take things for granted. Well, the good Lord has given me some more time. So here I am. I attended a family wedding on the weekend. Had to sit on the sidelines, but didn't want to miss it. I took this shot of my grandsons and my nephew enjoying their fruit punch at the bar. This should count as people in my neighborhood. I may not be able to get out much for the next week, but I just might, so I won't submit this yet. With the windows in the background, the light was a problem, but I didn't want to miss the shot. What do you think? :dunno
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Sorry, I've been away for a while. I didn't have an opportunity to vote on the last assignment. Andy, you were absolutely right about that fence in my shot of the Rockie Path. I had intended to do a little post processing and resubmit. However, I had a heart attack and spent a few days in the hospital. Boy, I thought I was too young for that. Just goes to show, don't ever take things for granted. Well, the good Lord has given me some more time. So here I am. I attended a family wedding on the weekend. Had to sit on the sidelines, but didn't want to miss it. I took this shot of my grandsons and my nephew enjoying their fruit punch at the bar. This should count as people in my neighborhood. I may not be able to get out much for the next week, but I just might, so I won't submit this yet. With the windows in the background, the light was a problem, but I didn't want to miss the shot. What do you think? ne_nau.gif
    First thing, glad to here you're recovering!

I think to photo is really cute. The only part I wondered about was the man on the left. Although he could be cropped out, it would ruin the strong line of the counter top. I would consider trying to darken that area a bit. I actually like the bright back lighting of the window. Kind of makes the boys a bit angelic ...

Good job. Take care & stay healthy ...

Regards,
    Brad
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2004
    Jeepers, snapapple, I'm glad you're here to play with us! I'm so sorry to hear about your health. A heart attack? If that's you in your avatar, you really are far too young. I hope you get well, take care of yourself.

And it's a cute shot, you caught a nice moment.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2004
    Thanks for the kind words, Brad and Sid. Yes, that's me in the avatar. I'm still taking it easy and recovering. I thought the same thing about the man on the left. I blurred out the background, but he's still there. I'll try something more.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words, Brad and Sid. Yes, that's me in the avatar. I'm still taking it easy and recovering. I thought the same thing about the man on the left. I blurred out the background, but he's still there. I'll try something more.
    Hi snapapple, glad to hear you are back to play... jeez, that must have been a scary wake up call? Knocks the mat right out from under the ole' feet I bet. I love your shot of sippin.. You could (just for fun) try "extracting" the boys from the back ground, add a new back ground or blur and darken the old one and put them back? maybe? Do you have photoshop cs??
    Stay well and strong.. I'm sure you are fighting back..
    Lynn (sittin in a wheelchair with a broken anklerolleyes1.gif )
    edited June 9, 2004
    Sippin'-2
    Thanks Lynn. I heard about your ankle - a real bummer. Get well! Here's my latest revision. I cloned out the man on the left and darkened that area. Then I thought I could emphasize the boys with some lighting affects. This darkens the bar in the foreground and makes the boys faces stand out more. I have Photoshop Elements and Jasc Paint Shop Pro. I just got Paint Shop and so far I like the drop shadow effect and the borders. I move my pics from one program to the other to do different things. I'm still practicing with layers. What do you think?
    edited June 9, 2004
    Arterial Pathways
    This might be one for "Pathways" except I didn't take it. Anyway, I thought I'd share it with you. It's a picture of the blockage in my left anterior descending artery. The after pic shows how it looks after implanting a stainless steel stent to hold it open. The doc says the rest of the arteries look fine and the damage is minor and will heal with rest and reconditioning. So I begin my exercise program...slowly. Jumping jacks? clap.gif
  • WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    This might be one for "Pathways" except I didn't take it. Anyway, I thought I'd share it with you. It's a picture of the blockage in my left anterior descending artery. The after pic shows how it looks after implanting a stainless steel stent to hold it open. The doc says the rest of the arteries look fine and the damage is minor and will heal with rest and reconditioning. So I begin my exercise program...slowly. Jumping jacks? clap.gif
    Wow! What else can you say? That is amazing. Thank goodness for modern medicine. I am so glad you are with us to share these amazing images. Take care!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2004
    happy you made it thru this ordeal! very lucky. my thoughts are with you. good on you to get out shooting so fast afterwards!

the sipping shot is way cool
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2004
    Wow, snaps, those arterial shots are amazing. What a difference between the two. That's scary.

I really like the changes you made to your shot. I had tried cropping it to emphasize the line of the boys' heads, but that didn't work very well. Your solution is much better. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Thanks Lynn. I heard about your ankle - a real bummer. Get well! Here's my latest revision. I cloned out the man on the left and darkened that area. Then I thought I could emphasize the boys with some lighting affects. This darkens the bar in the foreground and makes the boys faces stand out more. I have Photoshop Elements and Jasc Paint Shop Pro. I just got Paint Shop and so far I like the drop shadow effect and the borders. I move my pics from one program to the other to do different things. I'm still practicing with layers. What do you think?
    Hi snapple, I like it a lot... the focus for me was straight on the boys.. Great job. Great pictures of your arteries!!!! amazing. Looks really good now. Did you have high cholesterol??? I never did but have now!!! I take meds for it and now am wondering about my arteries!!
    Lynn
    edited June 10, 2004
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. No, I never had high cholesterol. But, havn't had it checked in a few years. I'm a person who never gets sick. I'm fairly active, hike the hill behind my house, work in my garden, etc. I have gained a few pounds in the last few years though. It's funny, my treadmill test and heart scan were negative. The doctor even said my heart's pumping capacity was above average. Then I get this severe chest pain, go to the emergency room, and they say it can't be my heart. So, they look for other things while I keep having severe chest pain. Finally, they get an abnormal EKG and realize it must be the heart. So, we rush over to Scripps Hospital on a Sunday morning for an emergency angioplasty and stent placement. Whew, just in time too. That blockage was cutting off oxygen to a large area of the heart since it was in a major artery. That's why it didn't show up on the tests. They look for small shadows and this area was too diffussed. So scary! You can't even trust the tests. Don't know what to tell you guys. Except if you're over 40, never, never ignore a chest pain.