Options

iPad + 5DMKII

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited January 14, 2011 in Accessories
I'm trying to figure out if its possible to shoot raw + small jpeg on my 5DMKII and connect my camera to my iPad via the Camera connectivity adapter (usb), and only import the small jpg?

I tried earlier but it imported both files (at least it seems like it did) like they were one.

Why I want to do this: I'm shooting a party tomorrow night and want to be able to quickly import my favorites to my iPad without having to first download the entire card to my laptop to then sync to my ipad.

I guess I could just shoot large jpg... but I like shooting raw.

Anyone have some input? I just got my iPad tonight so I'm still trying to figure stuff out.
Jer

Comments

• Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    This might take more investment than your willing to do, but I thought it was cool.

http://fstoppers.com/ipad/

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2010
    yeah... I've seen that.. not gonna happen for a while. I'm really trying to hold off till they get a CF version of the eye fi card. But I've talked to Gillat, the founder who is also a member here, and he said its probably not gonna happen because "the market is going to sd cards".
    Jer
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    It makes you wonder why Canon sticks with CF cards when SD cards are cheaper and more readily available.

I would buy a CF WiFi/Mifi card right now.

I thought the 5DMii used dual cards CF/SD? Must be the 1DMiii.
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2010
    Zanotti wrote: »
    It makes you wonder why Canon sticks with CF cards when SD cards are cheaper and more readily available.

5dmkii is single cf card sadly.

Well, it seems like Canon is slowly moving towards sd cards. The new 60D is SD, and like you said, some of the 1D's are dual cf and sd.
    Jer
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    yeah... I've seen that.. not gonna happen for a while. I'm really trying to hold off till they get a CF version of the eye fi card. But I've talked to Gillat, the founder who is also a member here, and he said its probably not gonna happen because "the market is going to sd cards".

As a marketer, I would like to conduct a survery and find out how many fellow photographer would like to have the CF WiFi card. It may give Gillat some idea when to launch the CF WiFi Card.

I will be the first one to to buy if it is available this morning. There will be another hundred of my teammates following me soon after. It makes up to 101 later today.:ivar
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2010
    As a marketer, I would like to conduct a survery and find out how many fellow photographer would like to have the CF WiFi card. It may give Gillat some idea when to launch the CF WiFi Card.

I will be the first one to to buy if it is available this morning. There will be another hundred of my teammates following me soon after. It makes up to 101 later today.:ivar

I have expressed my interest to gillat a few times.. I'd buy one too if it became available.
    Jer
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010

He has a site just like smugmugs for asking for new features and there are several people screamin for them on that site and facebook...there is also a thread on here for eyefi and they watch it fairly closely.........Gillat KNOWS there are tons of pros that ould be purchasing but that number is small compared to hobbyist that buys tons of stuff just cause.........and that seems to be what is driving their R&D& production........I do not every see myself using SD cards of any kind for my photography...I have already lost more of them with music on them for my PDA and MP3 player.....
    I really detest those little bast.........also I cannot get a hold of them when wearing any type of glove in the cold.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    Hah, even worse Art.. MICRO SD.. Ugh. Damn cell phones that use them are evil....
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    What do people use them for?

When shooting the pictures go directly to your computer cutting out transfer time. By the time you're done with the session you can start culling and editing. Or if you have someone else working for you - they can start that while you're still shooting.

Its like the wifi grip, just as an SD card.
    Jer
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2010
    Zanotti wrote: »

SD card's current actual transfer speeds are ~ 15-25MB/sec read and 10-15MB/sec write speed with the best card you can get, which is class 10

UHS class SD cards just got announced but even manufacturers like Panasonic haven't really reached any confirmed write speeds yet (the bus limit is 104MB/sec though)

CF card's current actual transfer speeds are ~ 80-90 MB/sec read and write on the best card you can get

In camera these speeds are roughly half, but still... 45MB/sec vs maybe 10-12/sec? I am never gonna use SD for any DSLR I shoot seriously with until they match the write speeds, and are compatible. I suppose once a good UHS card/camera is released that will change, but, for all currently existing DSLRS with CF or CF+SD, that's the reason.

UHS SD card:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/09/03/uhs-i-sd-cards-announced/1
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 9, 2010
    Jeremy, how did you end up transferring your pics to the Ipad at your venue?

Thanks,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Jeremy, how did you end up transferring your pics to the Ipad at your venue?

Thanks,
    -joel

I shot in large jpeg and downloaded my favorites to the ipad using the camera connection kit and a usb cable.
    Jer
  • Options
    gillatgillat Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    You guys should read Rob Galbraith's amazing and super detailed writeup about the iPad + WiFi tethering.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 9, 2010
    I shot in large jpeg and downloaded my favorites to the ipad using the camera connection kit and a usb cable.
    Cable? Oh, man. That's so six-months ago. :giggle J/K. Thanks, Jeremy.
    gillat wrote: »
    You guys should read Rob Galbraith's amazing and super detailed writeup about the iPad + WiFi tethering.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

-joel
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    Joel, hit me up anytime with questions.

• Options
    edited November 10, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Cable? Oh, man. That's so six-months ago. :giggle J/K. Thanks, Jeremy.
    -joel

For a last minute setup it worked fine - and was cheap.

But, I definitely wish I would've shot raw.. I would've had much more flexibility in post. I only shot jpeg because I was trying to minimize transfer times. (didn't want to miss something because I was "playing" with my ipad)
    Jer
  • Options
    m147m147 Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2010
    using mywi on the ipad, does anybody know if wifi transfers will only work with the eye-fi pro card? is the mywi network on the ipad considered an ad-hoc?
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2010
    Yes, the MyWi is awesome, but shows up as ad-hoc (just like rooting my Droid X shows up as ad-hoc). So the Pro X2 is your friend :-)
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2010
    Guys,

A small update on another CF adapter:

http://forums.eye.fi/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1352&p=12692#p12692

Thx --

Ziv.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2011