Options

Using the droid as a wi-fi server for the eyefi card

BrundigeBrundige Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited January 14, 2011 in The Big Picture
So I've been shooting a lot of climbing lately and thought it would be nice to have photos uploaded to my computer and internet instantly instead of waiting 2 weeks or so before i get back home, mostly for back up purposes and such.

I've been trying to get the eye-fi card to work through a droid with limited success anyone had any successful attempts with this?

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 13, 2010
    I haven't tried it with a Droid. Does the Droid act as a Wifi hotspot? I know it can access a Wifi net, but will it act as a router too?

If it will work, that would be great!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BrundigeBrundige Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I haven't tried it with a Droid. Does the Droid act as a Wifi hotspot? I know it can access a Wifi net, but will it act as a router too?

If it will work, that would be great!

Seems like it should, I mean, the same hardwear that allows it pick up a wifi signal should allow it to transmit. At the very least through bluetooth. I think it would require rooting the droid. I'm going to continue to look into this, ill post any info I can find
  • Options
    gillatgillat Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    Brundige wrote: »
    Seems like it should, I mean, the same hardwear that allows it pick up a wifi signal should allow it to transmit. At the very least through bluetooth. I think it would require rooting the droid. I'm going to continue to look into this, ill post any info I can find

Guys,

Yes, this can be done easily with a rooted Android phone. I've been doing it for months, first on my Droid 1 and then on my Droid X.

Just root your Droid (super easy, today there are $0.99 apps that do this for you, in 3 seconds), and then use the free Wi-Fi tether app, and you'll be all set.

There are 2 free tether apps for the rooted Android -- Barnacle and Wi-Fi Tether. Today, Barnacle doesn't work with Eye-Fi Cards due to a DHCP issue with Barnacle. I'm working with the developer to fix it. But Wi-Fi tether works well.

Take a look at Droid-life.com for more info on rooting. But it's really really simple.

You will need a Pro X2, since a rooted Droid beacons an ad-hoc network, and only the Pro X2 supports ad-hoc.

Thx --

Ziv.
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Very good Idea, I like that. I had a eyefi card, I literally lost it or someone stole it. Do they support raw yet too?
  • Options
    gillatgillat Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Please take a look at our site for more info. We've had raw for over 2 years... The Pro X2 supports it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk