on-line video storage

818sunshine818sunshine Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited January 18, 2011 in Video
Hello -

I am looking for a site to store my family videos. I know you can store videos in smugmug, but they only store a compressed version. I want to preserve the full quality of the video. Does anyone have any recommendations for on-line video storage?

thank you!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited January 17, 2011
    Do you realize that you will be throwing up many Gigabytes of files?

What are you using for your Internet connection? What is your upload speed?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I am using JungleDisk for my storage needs, but as Ziggy mentioned, remember your upload speed could be the limiting factors. Nothing worse than spending 8 hours uploading a file.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • SquareNailSquareNail Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    It's 10 years later and as SM videos are so crap the question still stands
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited November 20, 2021

@SquareNail said:
    It's 10 years later and as SM videos are so crap the question still stands

I'm a volunteer here at SmugMug. I've been involved in some sort of video production since the late 1960s and Ampex 1" open-reel B&W for local online storage.

If you're truly interested in cloud-based original video file or data file storage, don't expect SmugMug or anyone else to provide that capability for less than those companies who provide general purpose cloud-based storage as a business model:

• iDrive cloud storage
    • pCloud cloud storage
    • Backblaze cloud storage

... are some of your best options IMO.

No, you cannot expect these companies to provide video playback from their servers.
    No, you can't simply embed these companies' links to your files for distribution or sale.

There you go, ball is in your court. Exercise some research and due-diligence in your selection to see if these companies, or similar other companies, provide a service to accommodate your individual needs.

Remember that no outside service should ever be considered your primary means of backups; that's solely your responsibility. Right now, my backup system uses redundant SATA drives onboard my production computers, an external eSATA spinning drive and then a locally networked computer with a shared folder. This gives me three different controllers and different power supplies, as well as the different locations for the discrete drives.

Ideally it would be nice to have another secure location to swap out the eSATA drive(s) on a regular basis as well. Not doing any work for hire anymore so the above backup system seems OK for my needs.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums