Options

remote switch for canon 20D

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited August 29, 2005 in Accessories
was all about to spend $49.95 at B&H photo but then i saw this? Anybody have experience with this? Anything i should beware of? ANybody use this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Swich-for-Canon-EOS-10D-20D-1D-1V-RS-80N3-NEW_W0QQitemZ7540140503QQcategoryZ50489QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
troy

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    was all about to spend $49.95 at B&H photo but then i saw this? Anybody have experience with this? Anything i should beware of? ANybody use this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Swich-for-Canon-EOS-10D-20D-1D-1V-RS-80N3-NEW_W0QQitemZ7540140503QQcategoryZ50489QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    troy

stop it already lol3.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited August 24, 2005
    You might ping DoctorIT. I believe he had one or is selling one.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    I've got one for my 20D and it works fine.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    I'd sell you mine, but you'd just sell it to Andy and I'd buy it off of him.:):
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    Canon EOS 20D remote: which one?
    RS-80N3 (single button, about $65) vs TC-80N3 (with extra timer functionality, about $130).
    Anybody can share some expreience?
    TIA
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    RS-80N3 (single button, about $65) vs TC-80N3 (with extra timer functionality, about $130).
    TIA
    Only with the ADIDT (single button, about $11) thumb.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited August 26, 2005
    I asked myself the same question. I have my answer, but not the remote yet. (other things higher up on the list).

Planning on ever doing star trail shots? Night shots longer than 30 seconds?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    TIA

The RS_80N3 (which I have) has a lock-on position. If you are going to do star trails and the like, I suggest using your timer on your watch, locking the timer, drinking a beer, and then turning off the release after the time is up. Save yourself the money, and get the cheaper one, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    The RS_80N3 (which I have) has a lock-on position. If you are going to do star trails and the like, I suggest using your timer on your watch, locking the timer, drinking a beer, and then turning off the release after the time is up. Save yourself the money, and get the cheaper one, IMO.
    Hell, buy the ADIDT and lots of beer. I did. mwink.gif
    It also has a "lock on" when you push the button down to open the shutter, you can slide it forward and it stays locked down. After you get the beer out of the fridge slide it back and it will release. beer.gif

The time the shutter is open also displays on the lcd of the 20D which is great, but is there a way to set a longer timeout on the backlight? Am I missing something obvious?
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2005
    The timer is a cool feature but one that's rarely used. Plus it takes
    batteries. The $10 one seems to work for people.

Ian
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2005
    a what?
    Could someone please explain what an ADIDT remote is? ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2005
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2005
    What Happened?
    I merged the two Canon Remote threads together.

Ian
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2005
    Thank you!
    limbik wrote:
    I decided to give it a try. I can risk $15.. ($10 + $5 shipping) to possibly save $50..

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2005
    Adidt
    Nikolai wrote:
    I decided to give it a try. I can risk $15.. ($10 + $5 shipping) to possibly save $50..

Cheers!1drink.gif
    Already recieved it! Works like a charm. Nice black comfy device. Has locking capability and an additional sync socket for another syncho device, be it another camera, flash or whatever..

What can I say - thanks for the info!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2005
    Good to know it works like advertised. When Andy or Windoze buy theirs, I'll look to buy from them when they're put up for sale a week or two later. :D

Nikolai wrote:
    Already recieved it! Works like a charm. Nice black comfy device. Has locking capability and an additional sync socket for another syncho device, be it another camera, flash or whatever..

What can I say - thanks for the info!clap.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2005
    ADIDT remote switches
    windoze wrote:

troy
    I don't have this exact model, but bought the ADIDT wireless (radio-controlled) two-level switch (from a different seller on eBay) for my 20D last spring. I've only ended up using it once, but the darned thing works. It also has a "manual" switch on the receiver, which works like an RS-80N3 when you're not using the radio remote.

I had put in a low-ball bid of $65, didn't win the auction by a long shot (I think it rose to about $100). But by gosh the seller figured $65 + shipping was good enough for them, so came back to me with a Second Chance offer at my bid price. I grabbed it. About $70 and one month later, it arrived (from China) -- but it worked fine.

The ADIDT products are made in China (in the Shanghai region, if I recall).

= bug.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...