Options

Q about sunny 16 .. the moon & the trees

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited August 26, 2005 in Technique
If i was to do a moon shot through trees (enough moon showing to focus on it ok) & used sunny 16 rule at say f/11 or f/16 & the trees were say 100 to 200 yards in front me...would the trees be in focus at this f stop ?

I have to ask as my intended site is an hour away & the opportunity only comes up once a month so i would like to be a bit prepared.

Gus

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    what you want to learn about here is hyperfocal distance, mate, which has nothing to do with properly exposing the moon ... which, you should expose for, btw, in this scene.... the trees will be sillhouetted, no problem there.

the narrower your aperture (larger number) the more that will be in focus from your focus point out towards infinity.... so, what you should try, is f/8 or f/11 on your sharpest glass, focus on the trees, and see what kind of sharpness (in-focus) you get on the moon... i'm thinking this'll be a tall order for any exposure, due to the distance between the trees and the moon, but what the heck, have a butcher's go at it, and share your results (don't forget to take some of the focus on the moon, too deal.gif

oh btw - google "hyperfocal distance" and you'll find plenty. you can also go to photo.net/learn and find some good stuff there. i'd find some links for you but i'm on dialup so it's a bit hard for me atm.

cheers mate
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    If i was to do a moon shot through trees (enough moon showing to focus on it ok) & used sunny 16 rule at say f/11 or f/16 & the trees were say 100 to 200 yards in front me...would the trees be in focus at this f stop ?

I have to ask as my intended site is an hour away & the opportunity only comes up once a month so i would like to be a bit prepared.

Gus
    My guess (I said guess :D) would be yes but of course in silhouette
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited August 19, 2005
    Moon
    Hyperfocal Distance Calculator:
    http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Shooting the Moon (a now-famous Shay Stephens' post, & within Mr. Williams' Creative Juices thread):
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=7667469
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2005
    Thanks all for your help. David that is a brillient link...for this you get 8 karma points.

Gus
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2005
    I had a look through david...do you recon that calculator takes into account the 20D's 1.6 crop ?

It sort of has a bet each way.
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    stacking?
    it might be worth trying to take one focussed on the trees and another focussed on moon and then stack them

Humungus wrote:
    I had a look through david...do you recon that calculator takes into account the 20D's 1.6 crop ?

It sort of has a bet each way.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2005
    gtc wrote:
    it might be worth trying to take one focussed on the trees and another focussed on moon and then stack them
    Now wer'e talking ! ...good idea mate thumb.gif