Options

Basketball . . . getting a little better

73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
edited January 23, 2011 in Sports
Taking the advice of my fellow "grinners" I went to a local basketball game and tried shooting totally in "Manual". I was shooting in a very small, dark gym which provided me both advantages and disadvantages. I elected to sit up on the stage below one of the baskets and shoot from there. While this provided me with an unobstructed view of the action, in hindsight I should have been sitting a little further back than I was. I also like to shoot without the flash . . . and I was able to accomplish this in spite of it being a dark gym under flourescent lights. In hind sight, I should have used the flash on about 1/8 power as I noticed that in some of my shots the players have shadows from the lights directly above them.

All in all I am satisfied with the results. Here are some of the better shots (all shot in Manual Mode - 500/sec - f1.8 - custom White Balance - No Flash):

1165451171_pFRsF-L.jpg

Nice and cozy gym . . . yes it is only 5 rows up and that is the out of bounds line by everyones' feet in the front row. Notice the girls in the bottom lefthand side of the picture covering their eyes in case there is a collision.

1165451460_P3Qjj-L.jpg

Going up and over the opposition for the basket. The player made the shot and was fouled . . . he made the free throw for 3 points the "old fashioned way'.

1165451588_KqAb3-L.jpg

"Skying" over the defense for 2 points.

1165451827_jQQ6p-L.jpg

If you are 5' 6" and the defender is 6' 4" sometimes you just have to do a little climbing to get to the basket.

1165451956_4cCKc-L.jpg

Pulling down the defensive rebound.

1165452537_kDuxP-L.jpg

Finishing the fast break.

Thanks for looking :D

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Strong set. Sharp, good WB, good exposures. Very well done!
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    johng wrote: »
    Strong set. Sharp, good WB, good exposures. Very well done!

Thanks for the comment . . . I appreceiate it - Mark
  • Options
    attorneyjayattorneyjay Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    I've been in tight gyms before but none like this one! I echo JohnG's thoughts. Nice work.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    I've been in tight gyms before but none like this one! I echo JohnG's thoughts. Nice work.

Thanks for the postive comment.

The town of Summit SD is small and the school reflects this . . . they have 39 kids in 9 - 12. The boys team is decent year in and year out but over the last 6 years the girls' team has a record of something like 130 -12 with 1 state B title. They play a lot of schools out of their league. Of course with the "small gym" both the boys and girls employ the full court press to the fullest.