Options

Nikon D7000

philtherowerphiltherower Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited January 28, 2011 in Cameras
Hey! I know I've been waiting for a new camera for forever and this one got me to switch from Canon back to Nikon! If anyone needs a body, you can get one on Ritz right now, in stock, no tax and free ship! Also, can anyone help me out with a zenit helios lens I have: it's a 44 f/2 I believe- what adapter should I use for Nikon F? I want to use it because it has great colors and the focus is soooooo smooth that it'd be great for video. Anyways, can't wait till my camera arrives. This is a :barb moment for me! Hope anyone who's been looking for one gets in on this too!
Phil

Comments

• Options
    edited January 12, 2011
    Yep that's what I'm wondering about. How do you distinguish between a regular T-Mount and the M42?
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2011
    Okay, turns out it is the M42. There were numerous versions of this lens produced, and my Dad bought the initian Helios 44 with M42 back when he lived in Poland (both of my parents grew up in Poland). I'm thinking that the smooth focus of this lens mixed with the great DOF and smooth bokeh will make for great video. Here's a link
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/67775-sibling-rivalry-helios-44m-vs-helios-44m-4-a.html
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited January 12, 2011
    For a Universal/M42 to Nikon F mount adapter you might try this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97559-REG/General_Brand_ABSN_Nikon_AI_Body_to.html

Understand that this adapter, as well as any other adapter for that combination that provides infinity focus, has a moderate teleconverter optical element. This means that the lens will lose some image quality as well as losing some efficiency. The FOV will also be affected but I doubt if that is extreme. For a video application I doubt if any of these issues will be too troublesome

If at all possible it would be more advisable to start stocking up on older manual focus Nikkor lenses instead.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2011
    Okay thanks guys! I decided to go ahead and buy a Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF (not the D version, the very first one to come out) locally for 70 bucks because the adapter would be around 40 anyways. This also means I can see how the AF works on the 7000 when I receive it next week. I'll put some pictures up to show you because I'll be done with finals then and have some time off!
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2011
    Hey if anyone's in need for this camera like crazy, JR has the kit in stock as of now:
    http://www.jr.com/nikon/pe/NKN_D7000_SL_KIT1/
    Personally, I'd buy a different lens than the kit lens, but I guess if you're desperate go for it. If not, just be patient :p - I get mine on Saturday!
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    I just got mine yesterday. I mail ordered it from Samys, it was the only place I could find it in stock. Just got the body. I was a little nervous because of several bad online reports so I at least called. The sales person was really good with me, double checked to make sure they actually had one and said they could have it to me by Thursday afternoon, and sure enough it showed up on Thursday afternoon. Barely had a chance to play with it and I'm a hack but so far I am liking it.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2011
    Yea I'm so excited to get mine. I have the original 50 AF which should be great for lower light with the great bokeh I can't wait to try a new camera- my last one was a Canon 30D which is quite outdated compared to this, even though the pictures I've taken with that beast are awesome!
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2011
    Here's my first video. It's literally 5 minutes out of the box
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9vJVMxJ_Ko
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Sounds like you really like the video features of the D7000. How do you like the rest? What other bodies do you use?
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Hi guys, I will give a little update on my D7000. Had it a few days and been shooting with it a bit. I did reverse of what everyone suggested and I'm getting the camera I want then better glass down the road. I'm shooting with some older Nikon lenes I had from my D40 kit. I'm gonna add 3 pictures and all were shot with a Nikon DX 18mm-55mm. I have not photoshoped any of these pictures trying to give you a flavor for the actual camera. Now I am really an amature but hopefully some of this will answer some questions for you.

So far I'm loving the camera. It is worlds better than my D40. The colors seem sharper and its quicker. Shooting at high ISO there is a huge improvement. Focusing seems faster too. The camera is heavier than my D40 but that is to be expected with the construction but it's not bad either. There are way more menu items than my D40 and I'm having to learn all those but that's not a bad thing.

First picture is inside on auto
    DSC_0026.jpg?t=1295895373

This next one is night shot at 1600 ISO in monochrome (B&W) with a tripod

DSC_0133.jpg?t=1295895373

This last photo is shot in the Sports mode, it was partly overcast when I shot this one and here in Colorado everything is dead and brown.
    DSC_0082.jpg?t=1295895373
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2011
    Sounds like you really like the video features of the D7000. How do you like the rest? What other bodies do you use?

Yea the video's fun but I bought it for the pictures. I shot a Canon 30D until a few weeks ago and just received the D7K. i now have a Nikon 28-200 G which is a decent lens a and the 50 1.8. I've put some pictures up on my flickr (flickr.com/photos/philtherower) with the 50 and I'm just about to put some higher ISO (2000) that I took this morning with the 28-200. It's kind of a rough transition at first between the two companies but I'm starting to figure the Nikon out and get all the effects I like, and the smaller size in a body that's built the same is definitely a plus, even for a 220 lb rower.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2011
    Okay here's some stuff from the past 2 days that I thought might help a little:

First of all, this is inside, with the 28-200G at ISO 8000 (yea, that's right). I think it's pretty good quality for that
    5385703804_3e0c271a1e_z.jpg

Here's one of my dog with the 50 at ISO 1000
    5385113323_846b749c23_z.jpg

Here is a cropped one at 2000 with the 28-200G
    5385113569_58cc85fa71_z.jpg
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    anyone else looking, the local store Pictureline just got a batch of D7000s in stock. Call them to pay over the phone (to make sure you DO get one) and get it shipped. GREAT store, 100% reliable.
    http://www.pictureline.com
    //Leah