Options

7 Jun Wedding - Vienna VA

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited January 25, 2011 in Weddings
My first "long-distance" wedding (I had to drive 170 miles, one-way). OK, not so long-distance :D

Anyway, the bride contacted me and agreed to pay travel expenses. Done deal. I'm glad I did it. It was a long day, but it was a lot of fun.

1. First Dance
311519527_29jPb-L.jpg

2. This little girl (the flower girl) pretty much stole the show at the reception:
314376417_5V3sf-L.jpg

3. Again... Dancing with her father
314405084_VoxjK-L.jpg

4. and, again but dancing all alone
314984237_WwT45-L.jpg

5. The bride and her grand-father
314404076_zykAx-L.jpg

6. Exit from reception to the get-away car
314986839_odo7p-L.jpg

C&C welcome

Comments

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Great work. I am drawn to #5. (maybe because i have lighting the dance floor on my mind.) that looks great!!!
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Great work. I am drawn to #5. (maybe because i have lighting the dance floor on my mind.) that looks great!!!
    Thank you for the kind words. Great work? I really don't thinks so. Compared to many I have seen, this barely qualifies as acceptable.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Scott,
    you know I'm big fan of yours and I also know you're not just looking for the pat on the back... So I agree with you again, this is sub-par. ne_nau.gif
    Expressions and framing are great, you nailed thosedeal.gifclap.gif , but lighting on the interior ones is far from ideal, WB seems to be OFF, too (too much red IMHO). Basically looks like a bunch of nicely captured snapshots.ne_nau.gif
    The last one is best of the series, probably due to the much better lighting situation with the overcast and all. thumb.gif
    Thank you sharing though, it's good to know that even the best of us can take less-than-perfect pictures mwink.gif .
    And I honestly think the customer will be happy, all those minute pesky details usually escape general public anyway..rolleyes1.gif
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Scott, I applaud you for lighting up the room....now, on the other hand...despite possible white balance, a couple of them are way to flashyed (is that a word?). I've always liked the idea of additional lighting separate from the camera but oftentimes the surroundings overcome the actual subjects...especially at receptions. They are all a bit too hot with lightand the 2nd, the background is actually lighter than the foreground, drawing attention there than the two dancing subjects.

I honestly think these could be toned down simply with exposure controls in Camera Raw or LR. Lessening the lights/highlights...add a bit of contrast in the shadow areas, etc may help a bit. The faces with extra light should be toned in PS (healing brush set to darken).

I really like the 1st one best and think with some tender care, that could be a great photo. Just some initial thoughts.

Sorry, will pull it down if you want but had to try something for a fast edit:

315504036_G7Jo3-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Shadows everywhere scott!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Sorry, will pull it down if you want but had to try something for a fast edit:
    Nice editing! The patch of light on her cheeck was bothering me, too, great job removing it. thumb.gif
    Of course we all understand the concept of Scott's dealing with hundreds of images and delivery deadlines, while we here are only concentrating on one or two he already picked for us and have all the time in the world to go pixelbating...mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Great team exercise, though! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice editing! The patch of light on her cheeck was bothering me, too, great job removing it. thumb.gif
    Of course we all understand the concept of Scott's dealing with hundreds of images and delivery deadlines, while we here are only concentrating on one or two he already picked for us and have all the time in the world to go pixelbating...mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Great team exercise, though! thumb.gif

Exactly right Nik.....so many images to go through, select, reselect, then getting them some form of processing to boot. Scott......we all deal with the same issues apparently and that's what makes the forum so great....we can help one another out when dealing with crazy light and stuff. thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    OK I know this thread is almost 3 yrs old lol, but if you remember, where is this location in Vienna?

Just curious.
  • Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Nice set, Scott!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    edited January 25, 2011
    OK I know this thread is almost 3 yrs old lol, but if you remember, where is this location in Vienna?

Just curious.

I'll have to pull my paperwork ... If I can find it. Like you said, it was some time ago :D