Options

jpeg artifacts

winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
edited August 26, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I was disheartened to take a look at what had been done to some of my photographs. Have a look at the jpeg artifacts in this picture, especially where the sky meets rock. Am I being too picky? Do other photographers not care if their photographs are affected to this degree by artifacts?

-w

Smugmug Large (53.89 kB)
19044887-L.jpg

JPEG quality 68 (101.33 kB)
19044887-L-68.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 6, 2005
    Of course we care. I have made a request of variable settings for pros by email to the support staff on this issue during my trial period. Overall, I think smugmug does an excellent job downsizing images. They seem to use a nice algorithm for this, and it blows pbase and most other photo sharing sites automated system out of the water. It's tough to do the deed automatically on all images, especially ones that are very sharp or very soft to start with. This is one area of smugmug that is a step ahead of some of the others already in my opinion. Someone, somewhere must do a pretty good job on the server side settings.

Cheers

-don
  • Options
    unsavoryunsavory Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2005
    No, you are definitely not the only one. If they allowed their pro users to set their own compression level, I would upgrade from power user to pro right now.