Options

Sunset/people exposure

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited January 27, 2011 in Technique
Ok been trying to play around with this one. Trying to figure out how to take pictures of people properly exposed while backlit by a good sunset. I have a 1D Mark 2N and a 580ex flash

Comments

• Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    flash on ttl
    camera on manual
    properly expose background
    shoot.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2011
    Ttl? Or ettl?

Swore I have tried that before and no success
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    sorry, ettl.
    if you don't like it switch to manual, never fail. :)
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2011
    Thanks, I'll give that a go again and see
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    The issue you are having is that the Ettl will see all the bright light from the sunset and turn the flash down.

Here is what you do in P mode: meter for the sky, hit the * button. That will lock in that exposure to your camera. Turn the flash exposure compensation to +2 or so to let the flash know that you are shooting a bright scene. Focus on your subject and click.

In manual, just meter for the sky, choose your exposure and then set the FEC to +2 or so. Experiment on how much FEC you want for the scene. This is the method I use with a lot of regularity. It works for any situation where the background is several stops brighter than your subject...
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 26, 2011
    I would suggest setting your flash in ETTL, with your camera in Manual mode. Try to under expose the background 1/2 stop or more, by cutting down your shutter speed, and use our flash exposure to light the subject. This will give a nice deep saturation to the sky behind your subjects. You MAY need to turn on High Speed Synch if the sun is still real bright to allow you a high enough shutter speed ( which the flash will otherwise limit to 1/250th or so even in Manual Mode )

The most complete links on the web for EOS flash system usage are found here - http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/ and http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index2.html and http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html

If you read and learn these, you will know far more than most folks about how to drive the EOS flash system.

Half way down the page in the second link, is an explanation of P mode, which is designed to allow hand holding your camera - eg: a shutter speed restricted between 1/60th and your camera's basic flash synch speed, typically about 1/200th or so for most Canon bodies. This shutter speed limitation may be a serious disadvantage in bright light situations...
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    The light at sunset is a tad orangey. Try using a CTO (1/2 or 1/4) gel on the flash to match the ambient light color. I'm waiting for a chance to try this myself... it's one of the hints in Syl Arena's Speedliters Handbook.
    BBones wrote: »
    Ok been trying to play around with this one. Trying to figure out how to take pictures of people properly exposed while backlit by a good sunset. I have a 1D Mark 2N and a 580ex flash
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Depends on if you are shooting with or with out flash. If no flash 1st of all stop down your aperture to f/8 or so. If you don't then the strong back light will just wash everything out no matter what your settings. Then spot meter on the face.

If shooting with a flash...ttl is okay but make sure you have high speed sync on. You will need to over power the sun..agian spot meter on the face.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com