Options

Printing on CD/DVD's

castnerrmcastnerrm Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited January 29, 2011 in Weddings
Did a search and didnt find much. I have 2 weddings this year as primary and want to deliver the images on a nicely printed DVD. I am using a MAC and found 3 different programs that can print(inkjet) directly on DVD's. Wanted to get some opinions from anybody using Discus, Disc Label or Disc Cover apps to print DVD's. Or, what are you using to deliver your images on.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Tas67Tas67 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    I'm also on a Mac and use the Epson Artisan 50 to print directly onto Dvd's (you must by the printable kind). The quality is pretty good!

I'm not sure of the software it comes with. I think it's Disc Label.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    I have a Lightscribe drive in my computer and write the labels right on to the disc with it by using the free software from Lightscribe. I design the labels in PS first.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
  • Options
    castnerrmcastnerrm Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    studio1972 wrote: »
    I use Disc Label and highly recommend it.

Thanks. Can I ask what printer you are using?
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    I hacked my Canon PixmaPro 9000 to print to discs and use the official Canon software for designs. Works flawlessly & looks great, but it still takes my too much time to completely package on disc.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    I use disk labels as well, my printer is Epson Artisan 800
    When i tried printing directly on DVD it didn't work well at all, not sure why, all the ink was smudged all over the place. It was yucky!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    I have used the gold standard for labeling for several years...SureThing labeler....It allows printing on paper lables or lightscribe...and probably would allow printing directly to disk if my printer would do that......I also use Clik and Design 3D (came with my 1st CD Stomper- which is the best label Stomper made...) for some of my designing......I have done several thousand disks at a time when I was helping with Jazz (Wichita Jazz Festival) and recital recordings.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    I use an Epson Artisan 50, but I've found I can't just go with any old CD and get results that won't smear, especially with greasy or wet fingers. I found the Taiyo-Yuden Watershield inkjet printable CDs though and they are pretty much impossible to smudge, even running water over them. Nice and shiny too, I really am happy with them.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2011
    coldclimb wrote: »
    I use an Epson Artisan 50, but I've found I can't just go with any old CD and get results that won't smear, especially with greasy or wet fingers. I found the Taiyo-Yuden Watershield inkjet printable CDs though and they are pretty much impossible to smudge, even running water over them. Nice and shiny too, I really am happy with them.

link please............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    link please............

I just did a Google search and found this one
    http://www.amazon.com/Taiyo-Yuden-JVC-Shield-Printable/dp/B000LUC8WW
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2011
    dbveto wrote: »

Yeah that's the ones I use. They have a really interesting finish on them, if you lick your finger so it's sopping wet and try to slide it across the CD, it just sticks and the wetness is just gone. Really an odd feeling since you expect a wet finger to slide, but it sure doesn't smudge. Just make sure they're the "Watershield" ones.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Burning a label right onto the disk is the way to go for me. I just bought a lightscribe disk burner. I have yet to get it to work on my old computer though. Well, I can burn data, but not labels yet. I'm getting there.

To me, it's a no-brainer. Lightscribe. But that's just me. When I used to be in the music industry I would print off labels with CD stomper pro.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2011
    Weisel wrote: »
    Burning a label right onto the disk is the way to go for me. I just bought a lightscribe disk burner. I have yet to get it to work on my old computer though. Well, I can burn data, but not labels yet. I'm getting there.

To me, it's a no-brainer. Lightscribe. But that's just me. When I used to be in the music industry I would print off labels with CD stomper pro.

I used lightscribe a lot at first, and the result is really nice, but it's just so limited that after a while I got bored with it. It's only black and white, and the contrast doesn't ever get as bold as I wish it would. It's very sharp and clean though.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    castnerrm wrote: »
    Thanks. Can I ask what printer you are using?

A HP C5380, although it works with other makes as well as HP.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2011
    coldclimb wrote: »
    I used lightscribe a lot at first, and the result is really nice, but it's just so limited that after a while I got bored with it. It's only black and white, and the contrast doesn't ever get as bold as I wish it would. It's very sharp and clean though.

The prob with LightScribe is...HP changed it shortly after it came out....my original version was fantastic I printed pix on the disks that showed great contrast...somewhere i lost my original disk that came with my 1st external burner (and HP did not own LightScribe at first, cause I got mine with a different brand of burner)..so when I downloaded LS again it was very pale in comparison...after email support they told me to just keep re-burning to get it to the darkness I wanted......I am moving away from LS simply due to the fact that my first burns a lot of times take nearly and hour and then so does each burn after that....just to dang much time......

Will check in to the TY disks...but I have email into MAM-A also to see if they have the probs mentioned above.....

It does not matter how you orientate the disk to reburn...LS finds the correct orientation to start reburning...that is great............