Comback!

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited June 11, 2004 in People
It was the first game of the playoffs last night. It the hottest night of the year, and Sunday's disaster was on everyone's mind.

5004026-L.jpg

The D'Backs scored in the top of the first, a definite confidence booster.

5017182-L.jpg

Luke was on the mound and he had his good stuff.

5004519-L.jpg

The infield worked like a well oiled machine.

5017183-L.jpg

Double play!

5003749-L.jpg

The Expos just couldn't advance their runners.

5003983-L.jpg

For the first 4 innings it was a pitchers' duel.

5017181-L.jpg

The mood in the Expos' dougout was tense.

5004381-L.jpg

5004398-L.jpg

The Expos' fans caught the tension.

5004609-L.jpg

In the top of the 5th, the D'Back's bats came alive.

5017185-L.jpg

The runners were aggressive.

5005422-L.jpg

5017775-L.jpg

Scoring 3 runs...

5005430-L.jpg

The D'Backs could taste victory now, with the score 4-0...

5005445-L.jpg

And so could their fans:

5005595-L.jpg

The Expos replaced their pitcher.

5005757-L.jpg

His fast ball soon retired the sides. But the Expos had 3 up, 3 down in the bottom of the 5th.

5017178-L.jpg

In the top of the 6th, the D'Backs pressed their advantage, scoring 3 more runs.

5018812-L.jpg

5018833-L.jpg

Now the Expos has one more chance (Little League games have 6 innings). Their fans were grim.

5006243-L.jpg

And their coach withdrawn.

5006231-L.jpg

With two outs and nobody on, the batter had a huge hit and gambled by going for a tripple.

5018835-L.jpg

But it was not to be...

5018837-L.jpg

5019072-L.jpg

Final score 7-0.

5006572-L.jpg

5006691-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    It was the first game of the playoffs last night. It the hottest night of the year, and Sunday's disaster was on everyone's mind.

What a wonderful story Rutt... great great shots... I was THERE !!!!!!!clap.gifclap.gif
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2004
    What a great pictorial! You obviously had a fair bit of mobility down the third base line and home plate. I love the sequence of the Expo trying to steal third. Who needs the pros when you have little league!

Brad
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    What a great pictorial! You obviously had a fair bit of mobility down the third base line and home plate.
    Brad
    It's not as good as it was in the "minors" where the games were just held on a school field with no fence. I used to be able to go anywhere. The "majors" (6th grade, basically) have a field with fences that I'm not alowed get inside of (execpt for a few games early in the season when the junior ump didn't knwo the rules.) But the fences are pretty close to the lines. It's a big hassle to move from the first base line to the thrid base line, though. I have to walk around a pretty long way to a gate and so it takes foresight and planning. I can squeeze in just to the first base line of home plate and poke the camera around the outside of the fence. (That's where I got the shots down the third base line.) But that's as far over as I can get without walking around, which takes a few minutes.
    If not now, when?
  • wmsnyderwmsnyder Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2004
    Great shots
    Great shots! Can you tell me what equipment you were using?
    Thanks
    edited June 10, 2004
    Hey Rutt,

I was checking out your smugmug site to see what length of lens you were using for these photos and here you are using a 1D MarkII! Tell all! Inquiring minds want to know! (how was it?!!!)

You were able to squeeze off 6 shots of the slide into 3rd base and every shot shows a time of 19:14:31. That must have been spectacular!

(Just a bit of digital envy ...:D )

Brad
    edited June 10, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    Hey Rutt,

I was checking out your smugmug site to see what length of lens you were using for these photos and here you are using a 1D MarkII! Tell all! Inquiring minds want to know! (how was it?!!!)

You were able to squeeze off 6 shots of the slide into 3rd base and every shot shows a time of 19:14:31. That must have been spectacular!

(Just a bit of digital envy ...:D )

Brad

My guilty secrect is out. I'll try to post some impressions to the equipment section in the next few days. For the purposes of this thread, suffice to say that it has two different burst modes, "L" and "H". L is 3 fps H is 8+ (can be 9 at high shutter speeds.) For best quality jpegs, it can shoot 40 shots at 9 fps before it has to slow down. H burst mode is sort of frightening. I cannot yet shoot a single shot reliably, it requires getting my finger off the shutter in less than 1/8 of a second. Opinion on FM is divided as to whether this is a camera bug or just something you have to learn to do.

I have described it as a tank. I have come to think that's an understatement. Really it's an aircraft carrier. This is a camera that requires infrastructure. It's like a medium format with an autowinder in terms of size and weight. So you have to figure out how you are going to carry it.
    If not now, when?
    edited June 11, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    My guilty secrect is out.
    Sorry for outing you!11doh.gif The pictures are truly awesome.

I have described it as a tank. I have come to think that's an understatement. Really it's an aircraft carrier. This is a camera that requires infrastructure. ...you have to figure out how you are going to carry it.

I was watching a show on National Geographic on Everest while I made my first post. A sherpa comes to mind as a way to lug it around rolleyes1.gif .

Look forward to reading your reviews.
    edited June 11, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    Sorry for outing you!11doh.gif The pictures are truly awesome.

I was watching a show on National Geographic on Everest while I made my first post. A sherpa comes to mind as a way to lug it around rolleyes1.gif .

Look forward to reading your reviews.

The outing was going to happen sooner or later. Just don't tell my wife.

The sherpa idea is a good one. Or maybe a safari with bearers. No, wait, what about a Sikorsky Sky Hook? This is just too much fun, I'll stop.

I bought this camera and a 100-400 L lens for myself as a birthday present and as you can see, it really has made all the difference for shooting these LL games. I love to shoot action and until this year, I always thought baseball was pretty easy -- just shoot the batter. So all I had to do was get near the dugout, watch the pitcher with one eye, and burst shoot. I could even use a tripod for this technique. But this year, my son moved up the the "majors" and two things changed - they play on a field with a fence, greatly limiting my access, and they have actual fielding so that the action after the bat connects is interesting. So I started to want to get shots of fielding and base running. It's super challenging to do this, even with the new setup. I miss lots of plays. But now I really can't blame my equipment. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Once my son's LL season is over (in a week or so, depending) I plan to seek out other local sporting events to shoot -- Ultimate Frisbee, Babe Ruth League baseball, Roller Blade hockey. The list is very long.
    If not now, when?
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    Wow Rutt. That's serious. I have to start thinking about my birthday next year...should I? Shouldn't I...hmmmm...congratulations. Enjoy that fine machine.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    Outstanding shot, Rutt. thumb.gif

5019072-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited June 11, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Wow Rutt. That's serious. I have to start thinking about my birthday next year...should I? Shouldn't I...hmmmm...congratulations. Enjoy that fine machine.
    You are a wonderful photographer. I love the shots you take with the gear you have. I'm sure you would get good use out of anything you had.
    If not now, when?
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2004
    Thanks Rutt...